best sunscreen??

landerson1004

how much sunscreen does everyone take? I've looked into the more expensive brands you guys listed on this forum, and a lot of the bottles are 3-5 oz. For an 8 day cruise, and using the recommended 1 oz per application rule, that means I'd need about 10-14 bottles for 2 people. Does that seem excessive to anyone else? haha

There are two of us and I take one bottle of Caribbean Sol and one or two tubes of Aveeno. They don't weigh too much and are small enough that they are fairly easy to pack. I put one or two in my checked luggage and one in hubby's checked bag. They've always lasted us the whole 7 to 13 day vacations with leftover to be brought home. We are shade-lovers when on ship. When walking around in ports, on excursions, and on ship, I use sunscreen and reapply occasionally. Often, we'll wear hats when we're going to be out in the sun, and I apply sunscreen to my scalp when I'm going to be swimming and snorkeling.

Just take a "reasonable" amount - or a bit more if you're a fan of a particular brand or formula (that may not be an easy find when away), and know you'll be able to purchase more in port or on board if needed :cool:.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad you brought this up. I purchased a biodegradable, reef safe brand off of Amazon. Both a spray and a lotion. Whenever I know I will be snorkeling, I use these. If I'm just walking about or sitting by the pool, I use the Target brand. Has always worked fine for me.

And as mentioned, anything over 30 is not really giving you any more protection, unless you go to straight zinc oxide.

After many sunburns through many sunscreens, I find there is no substitute for coverage. I swim and sun in a swim tee and knee or capri length swim pants. My family teases me about my prudish attire, but I can finally enjoy a full week's vacation burn free.

Vicki

What sunscreens are your favorite to use while cruising? I hate hate HATE that greasy sunscreen feeling!! I've heard great things about Bull Frog, Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch, and Ocean Potion...and I'm open to other suggestions!

I wore a strapless dress at my wedding and I burn really easily. I used the Neutrogena Ultra Dry stuff. It was great! It didn't feel like I was wearing sunscreen, no oily mess on my dress, and I was in the sun for about six hours with no burning (ten minutes in the sun with nothing and I turn lobster red).

That being said, I have no idea how waterproof it is. For cruises, I usually get the store brand of the SPF 50 and reapply every hour. I find I get better coverage with a spray but it makes a mess and ruins plastic.

My only wish is that Coppertone would come out with the original scent again. The smell of my youth. :)

YES!!!

Depends on what SPF you need, but I'm happy with Walgreen's House Brand SPF 4. For me what's most important is the fragrance. Actually, the lack thereof! I hate the stuff that makes you smell like a pina colada!