Checking in from Reflection, Initial Thoughts

disillusi

3) Specialty dining rates are eye-watering. I think Murano is now $50? Is that possibly correct? I have the specialty 5 dinner package (of which, many problems getting booked correctly, but that's for a different thread) and I'll keep buying the package, but this is disappointing, if we want to do it again this cruise. $40 was pushing it, $50 is again throwing off that price-sensitivity bell for me.

10) I'm getting a more distinct nickel-and-diming sense from Celebrity which bums me out a bit, than on my last cruise. Beverage packages are pushed like cocaine, but I'm hoping that ends around day 4. (I'm a teetotaler, so they simply don't apply to me.) The shift in pricing upward without compensating features to match has been discussed at length here, but I like feeling like I'm getting a good value and not feeling like I have to shell out for anything approaching a reasonable experience.

Curious if you all agree or have other comments on these observations. I'll be checking in, what with the unlimited internet!

Yes, I agree. Just off the Silhouette and my observation was that staff from the pay for venues ambushed us most nights in the Martini Bar or at lunch in the Oceanview Café with special discounts. Apparently folks aren't lining up for these places as they once did when prices were lower. I believe the pay for venues may have reached their saturation point.

A friend is on the Reflection a couple of post from her

Select dining is a mess

Okay gang make sure that you go online and make a decision about what time you want to eat even with select dining and sign up. The reflection now has a new dining room for sweet members on the third floor taking up over 400 spaces in The main dining room. Don't know whether silhouette has done the same thing. We did not specify I select dining time and make reservations. We waited two hours to eat last night. It was a goat rodeo we now find ourselves stuck with either 530 or 830 to eat dinner.

So the only dinner reservation we could get was at Murano paid $190 ( probably for 4) for it so we could see the show and then went to the show at 9 o'clock and it was Standing room only seating So we sat on the stairs for a couple minutes and said that's bull****. They were saving all kinds of seats for the suite people. It's really unbelievable. The captain just walked by and I told him what I thought. None of the staff have been able to do anything so I'm not hopeful that he can do anything either

Select dining is a mess

Okay gang make sure that you go online and make a decision about what time you want to eat even with select dining and sign up. The reflection now has a new dining room for sweet members on the third floor taking up over 400 spaces in The main dining room. Don't know whether silhouette has done the same thing. We did not specify I select dining time and make reservations. We waited two hours to eat last night. It was a goat rodeo we now find ourselves stuck with either 530 or 830 to eat dinner.

So the only dinner reservation we could get was at Murano paid $190 ( probably for 4) for it so we could see the show and then went to the show at 9 o'clock and it was Standing room only seating So we sat on the stairs for a couple minutes and said that's bull****. They were saving all kinds of seats for the suite people. It's really unbelievable. The captain just walked by and I told him what I thought. None of the staff have been able to do anything so I'm not hopeful that he can do anything either

Ugh!! This is NOT good news. I understand enhancing the suite experience, but not at the expense of the other passengers. Sounds like a hot mess, only hope the Silhouette TA will learn from Reflections mistakes

This was precisely my feeling. I know it feels silly to carp over a few dollars, and for a lot of this vacation, I just go into a blind "throw money at it" fit, but there's a price sensitivity that triggers as a twitch in my occipital and makes me do a serious cost-benefit analysis. I was already grumbling when I found out it was $7 so the jump to $10 was a serious bummer. It adds up quickly enough and frankly, I don't feel like that's a fair price to ask for what you get.

It's too close to what I'd pay at home for a lunch, and again, adding gelato to the mix and a couple of other options is that sort of "forced upgrade" behavior that really bugs me.

Glad you enjoyed my review thus far. It's really a gorgeous ship.

I am very surprised to hearAbout Bistro's increase, we were just on her a month ago, ( before the new menu) it was still $7 but the time prior we had been on the Reflection it was $5 and the speciality restaurants are getting a bit out of hand as well. This is disappointing ...

We are enjoying this thread...nice art work...seeing it makes me wish I signed up...now it maybe gone by next cruise

hope you parents cabin is ok after the flood...did X say what caused it?

glad BLU is less crowded...we enjoyed it but at the time suite guests made it busy

how is the music and shows on board?

hope you continue to enjoy!

My mom went to the bathroom in the middle of the night and the toilet kept flowing but since it's a suction system, it doesn't equal out so it flooded the bathroom. The bathroom drain was either plugged or insufficient and so it overflowed the sill... and into the room... and out to the balcony. Three inches of water. They pulled the carpet early this morning, had it recarpeted and fixed entirely by 4pm, comped laundry and a couple massages and a few other perks, and have been very on top of things.

Music is good, haven't done the shows yet, but parents had good things to say.

Finished dinner at Murano tonight which was as fantastic as I remembered the SS United States being, though it's $50 now, which, again, comon. (They offered us a re-book at $40, which we'll almost certainly take them up on since it's so wildly better.) Our waiter also quietly comped our port wine which was lovely of him and a nice touch.

Tomorrow is Alcove day, so more details to follow.

(One minor gripe: the elevators are beautiful and have this great blue led lighting that turns pink when the elevator appears. Really wish it'd turn green when the elevator was upward bound and pink for downward bound. The chime is different, but that'd be a nice touch.)

Again, can't get over how great the atrium tree is. It's a fantastic piece.

Oh, and MDR lunch was delightful today. Great service, seated instantly, some great food, overall a good time.

My mom went to the bathroom in the middle of the night and the toilet kept flowing but since it's a suction system, it doesn't equal out so it flooded the bathroom. The bathroom drain was either plugged or insufficient and so it overflowed the sill... and into the room... and out to the balcony. Three inches of water. They pulled the carpet early this morning, had it recarpeted and fixed entirely by 4pm, comped laundry and a couple massages and a few other perks, and have been very on top of things.

Music is good, haven't done the shows yet, but parents had good things to say.

Finished dinner at Murano tonight which was as fantastic as I remembered the SS United States being, though it's $50 now, which, again, comon. (They offered us a re-book at $40, which we'll almost certainly take them up on since it's so wildly better.) Our waiter also quietly comped our port wine which was lovely of him and a nice touch.

Tomorrow is Alcove day, so more details to follow.

(One minor gripe: the elevators are beautiful and have this great blue led lighting that turns pink when the elevator appears. Really wish it'd turn green when the elevator was upward bound and pink for downward bound. The chime is different, but that'd be a nice touch.)

Again, can't get over how great the atrium tree is. It's a fantastic piece.

Oh, and MDR lunch was delightful today. Great service, seated instantly, some great food, overall a good time.

Are you not having the problems with select dining and no seats in the theatre that our friend quoted in Airbalancer's post above is having? She reports that many people are very unhappy, all attention going to suite pax at the expense of everyone else. I'd like to hear your take on the situation.

Edited by CathyCruises

Are you not having the problems with select dining and no seats in the theatre that our friend quoted in Airbalancer's post above is having? She reports that many people are very unhappy, all attention going to suite pax at the expense of everyone else. I'd like to hear your take on the situation.

We're AquaClass so we don't have the Select Dining issues. My parents indicated the theater was damn full, but I think they still got a seat.

I am enjoying your posts as you sail on the Reflection TA in Aqua class.

The S class is not the same as the M class ship such as the Infinity in it common space. I have only sailed on the Equinox and the Constellation numerous times.

I love that tree and also the grass on the S class ships.

Glad they took care of the water problem and gave some nice perks to make up for all that water. I am impressed that they have extra carpet and redid it all in one day. :)

I love Murano or its equivalent on all the Celebrity ships. the Dover sole and the lobster bisque are my favorites!!!

Look forward to your future posts.

I am enjoying your posts as you sail on the Reflection TA in Aqua class.

The S class is not the same as the M class ship such as the Infinity in it common space. I have only sailed on the Equinox and the Constellation numerous times.

I love that tree and also the grass on the S class ships.

Glad they took care of the water problem and gave some nice perks to make up for all that water. I am impressed that they have extra carpet and redid it all in one day. :)

I love Murano or its equivalent on all the Celebrity ships. the Dover sole and the lobster bisque are my favorites!!!

Look forward to your future posts.

There were some aspects of Infinity that I really loved too. Infinity is a fantastic ship.

The carpet was impressive: I have photos of the cabin tore down to bare concrete. Even more impressive: absolutely no adhesive smell, even just an hour later. Don't know if they're using some eco-friendly, non-offgassing glue, but when I've had floors done, the glue smell was enough to keep us away for two days or more, so I was impressed to say the least!

Select dining is a mess

Don't know that this is caused by the new suite dining room or not.....our one experience with Celebrity's "Select Dining" option was on Connie a year and a half ago....it was a lousy experience...dinner, which is usually one of our favorite times on a cruise, became a toil each night....no tables open, tables so close you could eat off your neighbors plate, noisy as hell and lousy service......we won't do it again.....after having Blu for the previous 3-4 cruises it was a real let down.....back to Blu....or Luminae, when lucky enough!!!

Thanks so much for posting. We will be a group of four in Aqua for next April TA sailing on the Reflection. We look forward to your updates.

I noticed on another post that Celebrity Suite (CS) category and above have the $10 Bistro on 5 fee waived. Not surprising after reading some of the other new suite perks.

On the last TA we were on we were offered 50% reductions in the speciality restaurants. Some nights the restaurants were not very busy. Hopefully they will do the same for your cruise.

We did a similar TA a couple of years ago and you will love your ports of call.

Don't know that this is caused by the new suite dining room or not.....our one experience with Celebrity's "Select Dining" option was on Connie a year and a half ago....it was a lousy experience...dinner, which is usually one of our favorite times on a cruise, became a toil each night....no tables open, tables so close you could eat off your neighbors plate, noisy as hell and lousy service......we won't do it again.....after having Blu for the previous 3-4 cruises it was a real let down.....back to Blu....or Luminae, when lucky enough!!!

Our friends were on the Reflection TA in October and never had this problem in Select Dining

That is why she thinks it has to do with the new dining room

We just got off the Refelction Satuday. I so wanted to stay and do the transatlantic. They said it was booked:(

We thought the MDR food was horrible. Murano and Lawn Club Grill were amazing. Tuscan grill was ok but you can't beat that view.

The ship is amazing beautiful and clean. We also hated that fact they were pushing the drink packages. I purchased the premium before boarding.We also hated the fact they were always asking for our beverage cards. If I wanted chardonay, I wanted to pick any flavor regardless of the up charge if it was over 13 dollars a glass.

Enjoy your time!

We are on the Reflection TA now and would like to make a few corrections to previous posts. The new suite restaurant is no larger than Blu and seats 96 (not 400!) There is no longer a wait in Select dining than any other cruise we have been on. We did hear a big fuss being made by someone, screaming at staff, the first night, which we all know is the night patience is called for. Hope I've alleviated some misconceptions. All is well!

We are on the Reflection TA now and would like to make a few corrections to previous posts. The new suite restaurant is no larger than Blu and seats 96 (not 400!) There is no longer a wait in Select dining than any other cruise we have been on. We did hear a big fuss being made by someone, screaming at staff, the first night, which we all know is the night patience is called for. Hope I've alleviated some misconceptions. All is well!

Well, our friend is very rational and reliable. They did not eat in the dining room the first night, they went to Lawn Club. It was on the second night that they had a two hour wait to be seated, so something is not working.

They also said there was no available seating in the theatre on the second night, that there were many open chairs but they were being saved for suite guest (who apparently did not show up, so the seats went unused) so they had to sit on the stairs.

I totally believe her reports, and I know that she loves Celebrity in general and is not a chronic complainer. Something is messed up somewhere.

Perhaps you should not be posting about a cruise you're not even on. We were at the show second seating and there was most certainly seating when we arrived late. Sat on the stairs? Really?

My friend specifically asked that we post to alert others to prebook their specialty dining times to avoid long waits. If she comes back and reports that things have been resolved, I will post that as well.

Well, our friend is very rational and reliable. They did not eat in the dining room the first night, they went to Lawn Club. It was on the second night that they had a two hour wait to be seated, so something is not working.

They also said there was no available seating in the theatre on the second night, that there were many open chairs but they were being saved for suite guest (who apparently did not show up, so the seats went unused) so they had to sit on the stairs.

I totally believe her reports, and I know that she loves Celebrity in general and is not a chronic complainer. Something is messed up somewhere.

When we were on the Reflection a little over a week ago, there was saved seating for the Suites, but the ropes were taken down as soon as the curtain went up. During that time, the seats slowly filled up with non-suite passengers. ;) Perhaps your friend did not check back or wait long enough.

We had our Alcove reserved today, so naturally it was raining. It honestly wasn't that bad, the shade was up and we enjoyed the breeze and the light sprinkle. Our attendant was great and brought out fruit and bottled water and delivered Front Porch paninis (which I wasn't blown away by, and wish would be included in the alcove fee rather than $7 upcharge) and was generally very nice.

We actually booked another day in the hopes that a further out sea day will have better weather, and accounting for the fact that apparently when no one books the things, they go on special at $49/day, so check back in if you're on the fence.

Our family really enjoyed having a central rally point and a place to relax. It was dead quiet up there (save for some zumba music from the main deck working its way up) and overall not a bad time.

The show was plenty simple to attend tonight. No long line, no wait, no problem finding seats even just 10 minutes in advance, even on the lower level. It was the illusionist who was quite good. A very enjoyable show.

Blu had a 5 or 6 couple line this evening owing to them closing Lawn Club Grill because the rain got significantly worse. Still, we were seated immediately. The maitre'd is fantastic, as is the hostess, and our waitstaff. Very, very good. Blu is a great specialty restaurant for everyday.

The ship's staff is really amazing. The head of housekeeping sent a plate of chocolate strawberries to my parents' room because of flooding, as did the steward, so they gave us the extra plate. They've handled that whole issue really really well. I continue to be impressed all around. Everyone is friendly, but this crew is funnier than most and open up about themselves in really endearing ways, if you ask.

Requested a change in specialty dining schedule tonight and the maitre'd of Murano was awesome and just made things happen (along with a better discount than expected for another Murano night.) I love when my expectations are exceeded and I feel like the staff genuinely wants to help. I've felt that a lot throughout this trip.

Glad you are enjoying your cruise! :)

I did not realize that the Lawn Club Grill would close if it is raining hard. :( I wonder if it were to be raining hard during the day, if your alcove money would be refunded? That's too bad that the weather did not cooperate.

As I mentioned before, I was onboard from March 28th-April 4th...next to last sailing before going overseas. A few of the past Celebrity crew had just come back from vacation (Our steward being one of them. A little slow at first, but quickly picked up the pace! :).) A new set of crew were starting their training the following week, April 4-11 (and most likely the reason for complaints in service for that last Caribbean cruise) Other crew members told us that they were excited about starting their vacation after they got over to Europe. Many in a happy mood anticipating seeing their relatives for the first time in months. ;)

Glad you are enjoying your cruise! :)

I did not realize that the Lawn Club Grill would close if it is raining hard. :( I wonder if it were to be raining hard during the day, if your alcove money would be refunded? That's too bad that the weather did not cooperate.

As I mentioned before, I was onboard from March 28th-April 4th...next to last sailing before going overseas. A few of the past Celebrity crew had just come back from vacation (Our steward being one of them. A little slow at first, but quickly picked up the pace! :).) A new set of crew were starting their training the following week, April 4-11 (and most likely the reason for complaints in service for that last Caribbean cruise) Other crew members told us that they were excited about starting their vacation after they got over to Europe. Many in a happy mood anticipating seeing their relatives for the first time in months. ;)

It might've been more the high wind and extreme rain. it wasn't just a sprinkle.

I thought about asking for a refund but we still really enjoyed our time up there, so.

X keeps hitting it out of the park for my parents. They included a massive OBC for their next stay and comped us another Murano night, for all 4 of us. This is how you handle a significant inconvenience. My dad had a lot of silk ties packed for his month-over in Germany where he works half the time that got wet, and the housekeeping director ensured they were rehabilitated: hand pressed to try to make sure they survived the soakening. They ended up fine. Rachelle, the assistant guest svcs director is awesome and even had coffee with my parents to talk things through. Seriously, over the top, and a real delight.

Today was a nice lazy day on the Solstice deck. Probably going to explore our options for Book Now future cruising!

I am really impressed with the response to your parents stateroom flooding. Not only the OBC and comps, but to sit down and do followup after the repairs. It says a lot about this ship's management. Glad his ties are fine due to the diligence of the housekeeping staff.

Hope you get some beautiful sea days and find a wonderful future cruise to book!

Surprised about Bistro on 5. I was on Reflection last week, and it was $7. Wend there twice - embarkation day and day before disembarkation, as I'm not very fond of the lunch choices in the buffet, and didn't really want the formality of MDR for lunch. For $10, would I do Bistro? Probably not.