Nasty comment from staff

thatdarnpunk

While comments focusing on tipping might be interesting, they completely miss the point. It doesn't matter if one gives an extra tip or not. It doesn't matter if they tip in cash or some other way. It doesn't matter what the built in percentage might be. The bottom line is that an employee treated a valued customer, whether they meant to or not, in a way that is in violation of Celebrity policy. That behavior needs to be called to the attention of the employee and corrected.

I'm curious if it is worth calling celebrity and bringing it to their attention. It definitely left a really bad impression and made me feel unvalued.

I'm Australian. We don't tip, we just pay people decent wages and expect them to do what they get paid to do. It's simple and it works.

Please don't start this whole thing again. Yes at home we pay hospitality staff a decent wage but at times I find that frustrating as the service we get can be almost non existent. Trying to get their attention when some would rather stand around and chat is annoying. When in Rome etc. On cruise ships and in the States we tip as we understand the way the system works and would never think of removing the gratuities as it is hurting the worker not the company.

Edited by Pean

I would have been pretty mortified and probably complained. We usually give a good tip by British standards but with the drinks package and 18% already added we won't be tipping extra, I think that's already enough.

Aren't you just paying 18% on the package, not on each drink? I was planning on bringing cash to leave a dollar here and there when we received good bar service.

But considering that most break even on the package at best what does it matter.

And if someone wants to kick in another $ or 2 good on them, but if someone else decides they'd rather not comments like this bar tender made are just rude.

In fact I'd be highly offended by any comment made by staff, anywhere, that indicated that they thought my tip wasn't enough.

I'm curious if it is worth calling celebrity and bringing it to their attention. It definitely left a really bad impression and made me feel unvalued.

I'd put it in writing with as much detail as possible, date, time, bar, bar tenders name if you know it.

But considering that most break even on the package at best what does it matter.

And if someone wants to kick in another $ or 2 good on them, but if someone else decides they'd rather not comments like this bar tender made are just rude.

In fact I'd be highly offended by any comment made by staff, anywhere, that indicated that they thought my tip wasn't enough.

Agree, especially when done in the public manner described.

We have had some dud servers, but most have been very good and tried to provide top notch service. Some have been fantastic too.

Edited by shipshape sam

On a recent cruise, the assistant to our cabin attendant said, "Americans think everything can be solved with money." He didn't look at me when he said it, but I heard him clearly. I didn't do anything about this, or question him about it, but I keep thinking about it.

Anyone care to share thoughts about this?

Shaco

I appreciate that I am talking about a different scenario but personally I find it a little distasteful that someone further up the thread was basically saying that they tip the bartenders so that when the bar is crowded they can "push in" and get served more quickly.

While comments focusing on tipping might be interesting, they completely miss the point. It doesn't matter if one gives an extra tip or not. It doesn't matter if they tip in cash or some other way. It doesn't matter what the built in percentage might be. The bottom line is that an employee treated a valued customer, whether they meant to or not, in a way that is in violation of Celebrity policy. That behavior needs to be called to the attention of the employee and corrected.

Agree completely.......I would have been shocked to hear this and would have asked for a manager immediately.......

I appreciate that I am talking about a different scenario but personally I find it a little distasteful that someone further up the thread was basically saying that they tip the bartenders so that when the bar is crowded they can "push in" and get served more quickly.

It is a sentiment you will see often here on CC.

Well I don't know what ships you've been cruising on, but I see people tip in cash all the time on Celebrity.

I agree with you. We always tip in cash :D If the service is extra good at a bar or if we know that we will hang out at a bar as regulars during our cruise - we hand over cash tips and we've seen many others do it also. I will add that is has always been appreciated.

Had I have been the OP - and someone made a comment concerning the tip, I believe I would have said something in return, inquiring if there was an "issue" or would they prefer to return the tip. I've honestly never had a rude crew member on any cruise line I've been on - hard to believe.

Tipping - here we go again .

We pay a daily gratuity to be shared between all staff . We then pay 18 % (recently increased from 15% ) service charge on drinks etc . These charges are added ' for our convenience ' and are there to reward staff .

Celebrity's brochure tells me that in return I will receive exceptional service throughout my cruise . So what is there beyond exceptional ? In my opinion I am already paying for top level service and I see no reason to carry on tipping and especially in a vulgar manner waving dollar bills around at bars .

Obviously if others feel the need to tip extra that is their prerogative and I respect their wishes .

Disrespect from staff regarding gratuities / tips however should not be tolerated .

Why the need to tip extra?

Each order has 18% already built in, that's £1.8 on a $10 drink

I assume in the US bars and restaurants don't have an auto tip built in hence the need to tip extra to the bill (18%?)

I assume the ships now have the built in tipping, so that all customers contribute to the tips and bar staff wages, otherwise those passengers from countries that don't have a tipping system (UK, Australia etc.) may not tip.

I much prefer the auto tipping system (coming from UK) it takes the stress out of the transaction. (am I over paying, am I paying enough, does the barman think I'm a pushover or a tight Ar$$.)

IF the auto tip went up to 25% would you still tip extra?

how high would it need to go before you would stop?

Another question

When visiting countries that do not need tips to pay staff do you still tip?

i.e UK, Australia, France, Italy etc?

Not related to tipping, but related to the crowds at the bars. We were on a Celebrity cruise in Jan, and we did not have a drink package. I found that by booking the cruise without the "free" drink package was a significant savings. We are not drinkers, but do enjoy a cocktail once a day or so.

What I saw on Celebrity, though, with this drink package promotion is too many people over imbibing. Bars were crowded, and bartenders overwhelmed (perhaps leading to the comment here).

On the bright side, one passenger brought me a couple of cocktails while sitting on the deck when he found out that I was paying for drinks. Why bother, he asked, when he got them for me for free. Very kind.

In booking our next cruise, however, I will look for a line that doesn't offer 'free drink" packages.

By the way, my room was $300 less without the free drink package, so don't fool yourself. They have figured out how to price this.

We were on the Constellation in March without a drink package. We had a few drinks at the Martini Bar and we felt the 18% was enough of a tip, especially since we had to walk up to the bar, order, and wait for it. We were seated in the martini bar, but, there was no server for these tables.

Why the need to tip extra?

Each order has 18% already built in, that's £1.8 on a $10 drink

I assume in the US bars and restaurants don't have an auto tip built in hence the need to tip extra to the bill (18%?)

I assume the ships now have the built in tipping, so that all customers contribute to the tips and bar staff wages, otherwise those passengers from countries that don't have a tipping system (UK, Australia etc.) may not tip.

I much prefer the auto tipping system (coming from UK) it takes the stress out of the transaction. (am I over paying, am I paying enough, does the barman think I'm a pushover or a tight Ar$$.)

IF the auto tip went up to 25% would you still tip extra?

how high would it need to go before you would stop?

Another question

When visiting countries that do not need tips to pay staff do you still tip?

i.e UK, Australia, France, Italy etc?

Exactly, it's getting to the point of being ridiculous, I think at 18% you should be getting exceptional service anyway.

A quick calculation

Average spend per passenger on drinks per day = $25

( I'm sure it will be higher)

assume number of passengers is 2500(could be higher)

2500*$25=$62500

18% of $62500 =$11250 to split between wait staff

I don't know how many on the ship lets assume 100

( probably lower)

that would be $11250/100= $112.5 each per day in tips

or

if they worked this a full year

$41062.50

is that enough?

Edited by bogofman

Hi all,

We are just back from the silhouette western caribbean. It was our first cruise and overall we had a great time. The ship is beautiful and food was great. The constant nickling and diming was so annoying and we joked that we wished there was a "do not disturb" add on we could purchase [emoji3].

Anyway, my only other complaint relates to the bar staff who were at times very rude. One comment has lingered on my mind over the past few days. At the sail away party, I ordered my first drink and tipped the bartender a single or two. She held the single up the rest of the bartenders and mockingly said "oh look guys you were worried they weren't tipping us? Here's a single - this will go far." and then proceeded to roll her eyes. [emoji53] I'm not easily offended and I know these people work very hard but I thought this was very uncalled for. I read that singles were a customary tip (We had already Prepaid gratuities), but maybe we should be tipping in 5 dollar increments now?

Anyway, just wanted to share and see if anyone else ever had a similar experience. Again, Great cruise and awesome new friends-but these kind of interactions are somewhat frustrating. But I'm sure there are employees like this everywhere.

No way. But I can really imagine it.

Reminds me when I requested a water pitcher and was told no. Respond to my question why was: because 'they' want to make money on you.

We, too, take a stack of $1 bills on each cruise and tip for drinks at bars and for coffees at Bacio and it's always appreciated, and the bartenders and wait staff get to know us and we get wonderful service.

For those who say they have never seen anyone tip in cash, perhaps it's because those of us who do tip with cash do so quitely, without calling attention to ourselves. But the next time you are in the Martini Bar, pay attention - they ring a bell by the register whenever they get a cash tip.

occasionally you will see a big grand stander blow hard holding up a Lincoln and making sure that everyone hears and notices giving it to the server and saying that there is plenty more where that came from, but what it really means that I want you to give me better service than you give to others and also always serve me first and sure there is plenty more and that is where it is staying because this is all you are getting. :D

Drink up 🍻🍺🍸🍷🍹

Tipping - here we go again .

We pay a daily gratuity to be shared between all staff . We then pay 18 % (recently increased from 15% ) service charge on drinks etc . These charges are added ' for our convenience ' and are there to reward staff .

Celebrity's brochure tells me that in return I will receive exceptional service throughout my cruise . So what is there beyond exceptional ? In my opinion I am already paying for top level service and I see no reason to carry on tipping and especially in a vulgar manner waving dollar bills around at bars .

Obviously if others feel the need to tip extra that is their prerogative and I respect their wishes .

Disrespect from staff regarding gratuities / tips however should not be tolerated .

Relevant and to the point. To those who state they have never seen cash tipping on board, I am comforted in the knowledge we who carry out this practice have succeeded in being discreet and having slight of hand. :cool:

A quick calculation

Average spend per passenger on drinks per day = $25

( I'm sure it will be higher)

assume number of passengers is 2500(could be higher)

2500*$25=$62500

18% of $62500 =$11250 to split between wait staff

I don't know how many on the ship lets assume 100

( probably lower)

that would be $11250/100= $112.5 each per day in tips

or

if they worked this a full year

$41062.50

is that enough?

just realised ,

Its clear why the cruise lines want everyone to purchase a drinks package.

just buying the Select package would double these numbers

Relevant and to the point. To those who state they have never seen cash tipping on board, I am comforted in the knowledge we who carry out this practice have succeeded in being discreet and having slight of hand. :cool:

And I'm glad you're happy with making the service just a little worse for everyone else while you try to get your 'perks'. I wish the line would outlaw additional cash tips, because it does cause people to play favorites and you get the kind of abuse people are posting about with glee in this thread of "shoving in".