Please post your select dining experience now that Luminae has been built

ghstudio

I don't have a problem with this other than in Blu for dinner. Blu was designed to handle the number of guests in aqua cabins...that's one of the reasons they only allow 2 people in an aqua class cabin. When you add suite passengers to the mix, some of the tables that should have aqua passengers dining are taken up by suite passengers...thus the aqua class passengers who have paid for "exclusive dining room" (I quote celebrity's web site) don't get that...and they have to wait. The old system....suite customers can eat in Blu if there is space, seemed to work. The Blu Maitre d' was able to hold empty tables for aqua passengers during prime dining times (which changed based on the cruise)...suite customers were asked to return later. As I understand the new system...they can just wander up and dine in Blu at any time, even if aqua passengers arrive while the suite folks are waiting for a table in Blu.

That's a potential problem....

The Suite Class FAQs still state "Access to Blu will continue to be available on a space available basis to all Suite Class guests."

Yes, we were traveling with someone who was not in a Suite (as mentioned a few times on other threads ;).) Since we were cruising the first full week that Luminae was opened, and the new menu was not available, we chose to eat in in the MDR with our relatives and have the same menu that Luminae had. The 8:30 MDR was our assigned seating when we booked the cruise, and we still had a table there, but since our relatives joined us, the table was too small for all 5 of us. We were told that a table would be available the 2nd night for all of us in the MDR, but it was not, so we decided to eat in Select. We didned at the Lawn Club Grill the first night. :)

Telling my story was to answer the OP's question on the Select experience now that Luminae has opened. ;) The entire dining room (upper and lower) was very crowded each and every night that we dined there! Luminae was rarely crowded. Perhaps this had to do with Luminae not yet having the new menu. We did eat breakfast there a few mornings and were probably one of 3 tables taken up each time. We also ate in Blu for breakfast. Our relatives had room service every morning.

PS - Aqua Class is assigned to Blu, but one can eat in the MDR-Select if they chose. Suite passengers do not HAVE TO dine in Luminae, either.

On the Millennium a couple of years ago the Aqua Class were told they absolutely could not eat in the dining room. One of the couples we had met on a pre-tour was disappointed, at least at first.

Edited by Benthayer Gonbak

On the three Celebrity cruises that I have been on in suites, we never had to wait for a table for dinner even if there was a line (of course we only went there on one night of the cruise). It seemed that it didn't make any difference to the maitre d' that we were in a suite or aqua class. It was first come, first served. But since there was only two of us, it was easier getting seated.

That's what I'm trying to find out.

"old system" - suite passenger walks up to Blu at 7:00 when maitre d' knows aqua customers will be coming very soon...maitre d' asks suite customer to come back at 8:15

"new system" (run of the ship) - suite passenger walks up to blu and is the next seated, even if aqua passengers arrive, as expected just after them.

It's a question of what happens when suite passengers walk up to blu for dinner....are they asked to wait, if it's a busy time for Blu, or are they now just admitted when they arrive?

On the three Celebrity cruises that I have been on in suites, we never had to wait for a table for dinner even if there was a line (of course we only went there on one night of the cruise). It seemed that it didn't make any difference to the maitre d' that we were in a suite or aqua class. It was first come, first served. But since there was only two of us, it was easier getting seated.

Yes, agree, and this is how it has ALWAYS been, there is no New vs old system.

That's what I'm trying to find out.

"old system" - suite passenger walks up to Blu at 7:00 when maitre d' knows aqua customers will be coming very soon...maitre d' asks suite customer to come back at 8:15

"new system" (run of the ship) - suite passenger walks up to blu and is the next seated, even if aqua passengers arrive, as expected just after them.

It's a question of what happens when suite passengers walk up to blu for dinner....are they asked to wait, if it's a busy time for Blu, or are they now just admitted when they arrive?

I can only tell you our experiences. Granted, as I mentioned, we usually eat at 8:00 - 8:30 and never had a problem getting a table whether in AQ or a Suite.

On the Millennium a couple of years ago the Aqua Class were told they absolutely could not eat in the dining room. One of the couples we had met on a pre-tour was disappointed, at least at first.

One year ago on the Constellation, and in AQ, we were told we could eat in the dining room if we liked the menu better. All we had to do is have the Blu maitre'd make arrangements for us. We ended up in Blu every night of that 11 night cruise unless we went with specialty.

Yes, agree, and this is how it has ALWAYS been, there is no New vs old system.

Because of this thread, I can see some changes coming that will make some people happy, and others angry. :rolleyes:

I can only tell you our experiences. Granted, as I mentioned, we usually eat at 8:00 - 8:30 and never had a problem getting a table whether in AQ or a Suite.

One year ago on the Constellation, and in AQ, we were told we could eat in the dining room if we liked the menu better. All we had to do is have the Blu maitre'd make arrangements for us. We ended up in Blu every night of that 11 night cruise unless we went with specialty.

Because of this thread, I can see some changes coming that will make some people happy, and others angry. :rolleyes:

And I predict that given the increase in suites it won't be the suites.

So you have noticed an increase, as well?

While a Suite is nice for the spaciousness, I am just as happy in an AQ.

On the Solstice class ships, I actually prefer the standard bathrooms to the suite bathrooms. I have no need for a tub, and being tall, I had trouble getting under the rain head (not to mention the very little water pressure.) Getting in and out of the bathroom when there is more than one person in there is more confining than the standard bathroom.

Although a Butler is nice to have, along with some of the perks but in all honesty, we do not need one. The overall cost of the trip is also more when factoring in extra gratuity and the tipping of the Butler.

I would like to try the Luminae menu when all the kinks have been worked out, so another suite is in the future, but the pricing will have to drop a bit before we switch from AQ to a Suite category.

If Luminae is as big a hit with us as Blu, then we will have to bite the bullet and move up to Suites for all cruises. If it is not a hit, then we will stick with AQ.

We were just on the Infinity while they were "constructing" the new restaurant for the suites: yes, there are some people that are not happy with what they called the "caste" system!!! The best I could tell, they assumed that they suites would be forced to the new restaurant and thus leave the "lessers" to the MDR. I'm glad to see that things are often imagined to be worse than they are. But, surprises when you "know" the routine aren't always well received even if the surprise turns out to be what is preferred!!!