Bears in September?

little britain

We will be visiting ISP, Juneau and Ketchikan in September.

Which port will have the highest possibility of seeing bears - and which is the best guide for that port?

I am seeing Anan Creek out of Ketchikan mentioned a few times ?

TIA.

Edited by little britain

Which port will have the highest possibility of seeing bears - and which is the best guide for that port?

TIA.

We met our bear in the middle of the road at ISP.....in September

TIA.

You are way too late for Anan. Out of Ketchikan- Traitors Cove would be my suggestion- IF early Sept. Same with Hoonah- early Sept. because the salmon runs aren't running later. I highly recommend TECKK outfitters in Hoonah and Southeast Aviation out of Ketchikan.

TIA.

The Mendenhal Glacier when the salmon are running in Juneau. The nature trail on the right, we always see bears eating salmon in the small creek. Late August and Sept are the best months. From boardwalk, they are right below you, 2 feet away. The rangers are on the trail directing traffic making sure the bears have the right of way.

Another place where you can see bears is Ketchikan Creek 1/2 mile to 2 miles up the creek.

The Mendenhal Glacier when the salmon are running in Juneau. The nature trail on the right, we always see bears eating salmon in the small creek. Late August and Sept are the best months. From boardwalk, they are right below you, 2 feet away. The rangers are on the trail directing traffic making sure the bears have the right of way.

Another place where you can see bears is Ketchikan Creek 1/2 mile to 2 miles up the creek.

Thanks - so you need to take a trip to the Mendenhal Glacier to get to the nature trail??

Or how do you get to Ketchikan creek - is that another trip.

I have seen Traitors Cove with SeaWind Aviation mentioned too.......Are they good? Where is TC in relation to Menhenhal or Ketchikan Creek? We are only in port for 6 hours.

I really want the best value, highest recommended trip with 'certain' bear viewing (yes I know they are wild animals....!)

My knowledge of the geography and distances of this area is not good so excuse what may seem stupid questions.:cool:

Edited by little britain

Thanks - so you need to take a trip to the Mendenhal Glacier to get to the nature trail??

Or how do you get to Ketchikan creek - is that another trip.

I have seen Traitors Cove with SeaWind Aviation mentioned too.......Are they good? Where is TC in relation to Menhenhal or Ketchikan Creek? We are only in port for 6 hours.

I really want the best value, highest recommended trip with 'certain' bear viewing (yes I know they are wild animals....!)

My knowledge of the geography and distances of this area is not good so excuse what may seem stupid questions.:cool:

Mendenhall Glacier is in Juneau. There are shuttle buses from the cruise docks, was $20 round trip per person. IF this were to be your bear opportunity, then you would have to invest several hours. It's also an hour round trip transit. I've been there many times with no bear viewing. So it's "possible". But most people don't see any.

I have a preferred vendor so, I don't fly with Seawind- but have been to Traitor's Cove a few times. Flight vendor histories are available.

Ketchikan Creek= is another "maybe" place, with needing a lot of time invested waiting. :) IF you want to see bears- the fly in tours, have more success, I know in 2013- Traitor's had 100% sightings with the vendor I use (haven't gotten last year's stats)

Mendenhall Glacier is in Juneau. There are shuttle buses from the cruise docks, was $20 round trip per person. IF this were to be your bear opportunity, then you would have to invest several hours. It's also an hour round trip transit. I've been there many times with no bear viewing. So it's "possible". But most people don't see any.

I have a preferred vendor so, I don't fly with Seawind- but have been to Traitor's Cove a few times. Flight vendor histories are available.

Ketchikan Creek= is another "maybe" place, with needing a lot of time invested waiting. :) IF you want to see bears- the fly in tours, have more success, I know in 2013- Traitor's had 100% sightings with the vendor I use (haven't gotten last year's stats)

Thanks BQ!.

I contacted TaquanAir for Anan Creek and they were very honest and said that it was too late for bears, which I appreciated.

We really want a fly in tour (so we get the float plane experience) so can you recommend a vendor? We are in Juneau the longest so that perhaps would be the best place to do the longer tour from? They suggested Pack Creek?

Edited by little britain

We second Budget Queen's recommendation for Teckk out of Icy Strait. When we were last there in September, the salmon runs were already over, so he took us into the hills and we saw several large brown bears. He (Keith) is a great guy and we really enjoyed our excursion.

We didn't see any black bears at the center at Mendenhall, but when we returned from walking to the falls, we learned that one had actually tried to get in the door at the visitor center. It's a nice visit and seeing bears would be a bonus.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

We second Budget Queen's recommendation for Teckk out of Icy Strait. When we were last there in September, the salmon runs were already over, so he took us into the hills and we saw several large brown bears. He (Keith) is a great guy and we really enjoyed our excursion.

We didn't see any black bears at the center at Mendenhall, but when we returned from walking to the falls, we learned that one had actually tried to get in the door at the visitor center. It's a nice visit and seeing bears would be a bonus.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

Thanks but we only arrive in ISP at 3p so I am aware that it will probably be dark by 6p; which is why I think Juneau where we are there all day will be the best place to do bear watching?

Thanks BQ!.

I contacted TaquanAir for Anan Creek and they were very honest and said that it was too late for bears, which I appreciated.

We really want a fly in tour (so we get the float plane experience) so can you recommend a vendor? We are in Juneau the longest so that perhaps would be the best place to do the longer tour from? They suggested Pack Creek?

Pack Creek is the area out of Juneau. I've flown with Butch of Alaska Fly N Fish, see what he suggests? You are off peak for this area.

Otherwise, out of Ketchikan, I highly recommend Southeast Aviation.

His website appears to be down or may have changed :-( could you share an email please?

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

Sorry, I can't find out about Butch. Here are some listed vendors to perhaps contact. http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/tongass/recreation/natureviewing/?cid=stelprdb5401931