Price Drop Question

I booked our May 2016 cruise under the early saver rate which at the time had reduce deposit sale. With this current promotion, I submitted the form online and was approved for the lower rate and $50 on board credit. Carnival sends me an email with the receipt showing the new balance due. Everything looks great.

An hour later my pvp emails me and tells me I now need to pay a full deposit since Carnival approved my price protection form or else they will cancel the cruise. :eek:

I'm so confused and frustrated. Why would carnival approve and send me a new receipt which reflects the new rate if they required more money to do so?

Well I don't have $500 right now to give her to keep my cruise. Not to mention it's a group booking with my in-laws. We both got that price adjustment approval and now she says they'll cancelled both of our cruises unless we give more of a deposit. $750 total for both of us. Shouldn't this be on then they approved it. Or is my PvP mistaken. I'm so flustered I couldn't even talk to her

Edited by CruizinMama1026

You have to read the rules carefully when you price match and ask for the new reduction. When you did the rules changed and instead of a cruise with a low deposit, your new rate requires a full deposit.

They are now asking for that full deposit.

Not sure why they did it backwards but the rules are the rules.

You may have booked during special. For example we booked early saver during a sale where you only had to put 25% deposit down. When we found a better price and submitted it for a price drop that sale was you had to have 50% down. Our PVP told us this before submitting.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Forums mobile app

You have to read the rules carefully when you price match and ask for the new reduction.

Sounds like you filed for the lower price/OBC in a different fare category, so as the other poster advised, each fare category has different requirements.

Perhaps your PVP/Carnival will return you to your original fare category/original price. Or use a credit card for the remainder of the deposit and pay it off when possible.

Just for future reference, you PVP can handle your Early Saver price drop.

So when you request a Early Saver with your PVP like I did with mine he makes sure I know that I am then under the new rules of the new rate. - so if you originally booked with a reduced deposit then you request to change to this to new Promotion - then you are agreeing to the rules of the new promotion. Sadly, since you didn't talk to your PVP before you submitted, you didn't not personal "are you sure you are ok with these new conditions" checking a PVP does.

Hope it works out!

(for example I applied for a lower cruise rate but it meant losing OBC -my PVP made sure I knew that before I switched to the lower rate)

Edited by arpie05

As you are not sailing until next year, keep watching the prices especially a few weeks before the cruise when you are fully paid. My sister and I cruise in June 2014 and ended up with a $751 credit, plus an upgrade to the spa deck because we booked the early bird price guarantee. Just keep watching the computer.

With this sale we got obc for both cabins :) Just phone Carnival and got it done, thanks to CC where I got the info on how to do it. Price was same but there was OBC available. Carnival person said that there were lots of cabins in the category available so price drop would be next but would lose OBC so make sure it is worth it lol

My daughter and her fiancee recently booked a cruisr for March of next year on Early Saver, half deposit rate. She got a great deal on her cabin and I told her not to expect much in the way of price drops but to pay the full deposit just in case.

She did and here comes today's sale. Cabin price stayed the same and they got fifty dollars OBC, and their booking is in tact because they already paid the full deposit.

To take advantage of future price drops she will have to find one that is more than fifty dollars since she would lose the OBC under the current promotion.

Whole point of this long post is to be aware of your booking rate and what restrictions apply.

Along the lines of OBC/Promotional credit and price protection...we are just off the Ecstasy, and booked ES on the Valor for March 2016 at the Loyalty Desk. It's a 7 day cruise, so we got $100 OBC for booking on board.

Is that $100 OBC counted when looking at fare reductions? It seems to me it shouldn't be, since it was for booking on board and separate from any actual fare promotion, but I figured I'd ask if anyone has experience here?

For the sake of real life example...we booked a 4H at $1438 (two people), plus have $100 OBC for booking on board. Today, the ES rate for a 4H is $1358, plus $50 OBC. We are obviously way before final payment here, but have paid our deposit in full. Technically, the new fare isn't "better" because of the OBC, but I feel like if we can't keep that $100 OBC in addition to the price drop, then there would be no point in booking on board, right? Seems to me we should get the new rate of $1358, and now have $150 OBC.

Is my thinking totally wrong here?

Along the lines of OBC/Promotional credit and price protection...we are just off the Ecstasy, and booked ES on the Valor for March 2016 at the Loyalty Desk. It's a 7 day cruise, so we got $100 OBC for booking on board.

Is that $100 OBC counted when looking at fare reductions? It seems to me it shouldn't be, since it was for booking on board and separate from any actual fare promotion, but I figured I'd ask if anyone has experience here?

For the sake of real life example...we booked a 4H at $1438 (two people), plus have $100 OBC for booking on board. Today, the ES rate for a 4H is $1358, plus $50 OBC. We are obviously way before final payment here, but have paid our deposit in full. Technically, the new fare isn't "better" because of the OBC, but I feel like if we can't keep that $100 OBC in addition to the price drop, then there would be no point in booking on board, right? Seems to me we should get the new rate of $1358, and now have $150 OBC.

Is my thinking totally wrong here?

No. The $100 obc for booking on a cruise is not counted. Please sure and let them know it is from booking on a cruise. They always ask me what that $100 obc is for?

No. The $100 obc for booking on a cruise is not counted. Please sure and let them know it is from booking on a cruise. They always ask me what that $100 obc is for?

So, of course, I submitted the form, and in record time of form submission (15 minutes?), got approval, with my $100 OBC gone. Called the 800 number, and the woman I spoke with confirmed I shouldn't have lost it and put me on hold for a few minutes while she got a supervisor to fix it.

The fix still isn't showing on my online account, but I figure I'll give them until tomorrow to fit it. For anyone interested, I was eligible for the $80 price drop, and the extra $50 OBC for the cabin.

Hey Violetsmile, I had the exact same scenario today. Booked onboard for the 100 OBC, got a price drop today with the 50 OBC and now my 100 is not showing online.

I emailed the Carnival and they confirmed that although it is not showing correctly online, it is applied to my booking.

I have to say I was very happy with the support I received from Carnival today.

I have had problems with seeing my OBC in the past. When I sign in I go to view cruise documents. Check Print Gen Info..It will open up in a pdf..you do not have to print. About pg 4 of this document I can see all our obc. If it isn't there, I would call Carnival.

This is where our share holder credit always shows up. I make sure I have a copy if I need to prove it..

Hey Violetsmile, I had the exact same scenario today. Booked onboard for the 100 OBC, got a price drop today with the 50 OBC and now my 100 is not showing online.

I emailed the Carnival and they confirmed that although it is not showing correctly online, it is applied to my booking.

I have to say I was very happy with the support I received from Carnival today.

The woman I spoke with was also extremely nice and helpful. I didn't have any hold time until she was fixing the problem--I got through to a human right away, and she was quick to admit there was a problem and make it right. I do like when I'm pleasantly surprised by great customer service!

I have had problems with seeing my OBC in the past. When I sign in I go to view cruise documents. Check Print Gen Info..It will open up in a pdf..you do not have to print. About pg 4 of this document I can see all our obc. If it isn't there, I would call Carnival.

This is where our share holder credit always shows up. I make sure I have a copy if I need to prove it..

Thanks for the suggestion. It does show the $150 OBC when I look at the PDF doc even though it's not showing on the "My Billing" tab in my online account. I saved a copy of the PDF just in case it goes missing later.