Regal for teens-my impression

Boatingmom

We sailed the Regal Princess for the kid's Easter break 4/5-4/12. My teens 15 & 17 had a great time. They loved the kids club for 13-17 year olds. Lots for them to do. They ate dinners with the family and then were off to find their new found friends. Activities like karaoke, dancing, and teen dinner. They went to the pool with their friends, participated in some contests, won items like sunglasses, ate pizza, burgers, fries and more, and hung out. After the club closed at 1:00 am they were directed by security to the Piazza where the sat in groups talking and snacking from the international café. I was the mean mom with a curfew. I must say, they appeared to be a well behaved and polite group. My kid's only complaint was that ice cream was not self serve. (Smart Princess) My only complaint was that I never received any schedule as to their activities or a kids patter to keep track. I kept asking my room steward and he either didn't understand English or didn't know what the heck I was talking about. Finally spoke to guest services and found out some sort of schedule was given out on sail away day and we never received it. Thank goodness the children figured it out. On another note... my children didn't want to use princess messenger. I saw only two people using it the entire cruise. I think the didn't want to be found:eek: They said it was because they didn't want to hold anything except their cruise card. For the record... you don't need a waterslide, rock climbing wall or a skating rink to have a good time.

I wonder if the cabin steward was new or wasn't told there were kids in your cabin. I seem to remember always getting a packet of info for my girl's age group on every Princess cruise (but on Carnival, would have to pick up the schedule at the kids' area).

I'm glad the teens were moved to the Piazza at 1. On our last two cruises (the Golden) when my daughter was in the teen group, the Remix room was supposedly open til 3 am, if there were kids interested in being there after midnight. My girl and her group would hang out at the pool, especially if MUTS was being used by the teens.

Thank you for your review. I have a soon to be 12 year old and I've wondered if he would start to find the Princess activities soooo boring and want to go where the rock climbing walls are. I'm glad to hear your teens had a good time. :)

Our kid patters were in our embarkation day 'mail'. I asked our steward about them when he first introduced himself and he had no clue what I was talking about, but we found them shortly after he left.

Yes I am a mean mom. LOL. They will understand when they have their own kids.

In regards to the kids activity listing.... there is no daily sheet for children. It is given out the first night at the kids club. My children had late traditional dining, so they went up to the club later and never received it. They just found out about activities each day when they went to the club. I was in the dark but they don't think they missed anything.

My children were not in my cabin. We booked guaranteed minisuites during one of the sales. We had adjoining cabins which were accessible with the balcony divider open. I also went to guest services and got a card for their cabin. It was more affordable than squishing them all in our cabin.

Yes I am a mean mom. LOL. They will understand when they have their own kids.

In regards to the kids activity listing.... there is no daily sheet for children. It is given out the first night at the kids club. My children had late traditional dining, so they went up to the club later and never received it. They just found out about activities each day when they went to the club. I was in the dark but they don't think they missed anything.

My children were not in my cabin. We booked guaranteed minisuites during one of the sales. We had adjoining cabins which were accessible with the balcony divider open. I also went to guest services and got a card for their cabin. It was more affordable than squishing them all in our cabin.

Makes me wonder then, did they get the teen program packet in their cabin and didn't notice it (my daughter's was on our desk when we first got there -- she was in our cabin) or did this ship not provide them? The packet we got included a day-by-day schedule of the activities. And I would have to think that the Remix counselors would have extra copies to give during the orientation the first night if somehow one's cabin got overlooked.

Thank you for your review. I have a soon to be 12 year old and I've wondered if he would start to find the Princess activities soooo boring and want to go where the rock climbing walls are. I'm glad to hear your teens had a good time. :)

Our kid patters were in our embarkation day 'mail'. I asked our steward about them when he first introduced himself and he had no clue what I was talking about, but we found them shortly after he left.

These teens were at a perfect age for that group. Your preteen will be with 8 year olds and won;t be able to join a teen group until he's 13. Only you can decide between rock climbing and Princess.

I agree with Pia. Age of kids, no matter which line, has a lot to do with kid satisfaction. 12 is definitely a tween year and I remember our daughter being happy to have a friend along on one of our cruises. The activities for her group were too "kiddie" as she called them.

Too when doing an extended family cruise, my two 17 year old nephews found a small group of 17 and 18 year olds they hung out with rather than being with 15 year olds. A big difference in maturity. This group just enjoyed hanging out at the pool, sitting together during shows, snacking in the lido etc.

We were mean parents too;) Curfews, check in points, rules with consequences agreed upon etc. Everyone was clear of expectations which made for few disagreements or moaning.:p

Edited by eandj

It was great seeing all the kids having a great time on our sailing. I did see a few kids running around unsupervised but they seemed to be ok.

I hope the young man who dislocated his shoulder during the pool games last sea day is ok.