Marseille on Bastille Day

AmyNC

We will be on RCI docking in Marseille on Bastille Day. ( July 14, 2015) We had hope to go to Aux or some of the other small towns/cities, but wonder if anything will be open on Bastille day.

We were in Aux years ago on a regular Sunday and much was closed.

Has anyone experienced this? Suggestions?

:confused:

Good question. If we were staying in Provence (we have rented apartments a few times) we would head to Avignon for Bastille Day. But this is a bit far from Marseille although doable. Avignon usually has a pretty big celebration on July 14th (including fireworks at night) and the city will be full of people and it will be the middle of the annual Music Festival which is a major draw. Aix en Provence will also have their annual art festival going on at that same time but we are not sure how much happens during the daytime as opposed to the busy evening hours.

If you are thinking about taking a tour, then consider one that goes to Avignon and Les Baux (which will be packed if the weather is good). July 14 in France compares to July 4 in the USA which means that many stores are closed, but folks are out and about and celebrating the holiday.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Big towns such as Aix, Marseille, Avignon and Toulon should all have celebrations for Bastille Day. However the main event in all cases is likely to be fireworks - and these won't start till after dark, i.e. after 10pm at the earliest. Avignon's theatre festival will be in full swing, as will the classical music festival in Aix. For daytime events, Avignon is probably the better bet.

• 2 months later...

Hi Amy - We are on the same cruise and have the same question. We plan to rent a car and had hoped to possibly do Avignon, Les Baux and/or Aix en Provence. My husband is working on planning our day, but wondering if you have found any additional information about what it will be like on Bastille Day? We are traveling with our two kids, aged 14 and 8. What about you?

Stacy

HI Stacy,

getting exciting, no?

Well, my research tells me it will be crowded and most stores closed. But lots of activity, as not only tourists but French nationals come down for the holiday.

Some of the towns have festivals... Avignon apparently has a music festival, another has an art festival. You canlook up the towns you want to see and find out what is what.

We are 8 in our group, DH and I, our 3 children ( grown) and their significant others. in Marseille, 4 are doing an electric bicycle tour thru Viator, and the 2 the lavender fields and 2 the small villages... The last 2 couples thru the ship as I waited too long trying to figure this out, and much was booked.

Hope you have a great time there... we have been to Aux and Cassis on another cruise. It was a Sunday then, so again stores were closed. But the scenery and just walking about is lovely.