Jade Med combined cruise Greece and Adriatic with kids

Xavanna

Hi. I am interested to hear from people who have cruised on the combined 14 day itinerary for the Mediterranean on NCL Jade? We are looking to cruise Sept/Oct 2016 with 3 young kids (7, 6 and 3). We are going to be in Italy already, so we are definitely extending the holiday and a cruise looks like a good option.

Do you think the combined Greek Isles and Adriatic 14 day cruise would be suitable for a family with young kids? Too long etc? We are used to travelling and realise how exhausting it can be with young kids, but we are prepared for that. We want to make the most of being in Europe and have a holiday our kids can enjoy and we can relax a little too.

Thanks

The cruise should a nice relaxing two weeks. I have never found taking the kids cruising stressful :). if you are all tired have a lovely day on the ship when others are off exploring ports. The weather will be unpredictable at that time of year, but should be decent in Greece.

I started to answer you while in bed and lost it all, so starting again. I looked at the few cruises that NCL had to see where you might be going. We took Adriatic/Med for 19 days in Oct/Nov 2014 and between various other cruises and land trips have been to all ports on the cruises I looked at. We are 65 and although we lived overseas and traveled with our son, he was 7+ when we took our trips, so older than your kiddos.

Saw you are Aussies and we have taken enough european cruises to know how you need to make the most of your travel money and time when leaving Australia.

Weather: Oct/Nov weather was incredible. 65-75 and on a 30 day trip we had one rainy day (Toulon). I use fodor.com/destination and on the right side is weather for your travel period. It was spot on. We only travel with one airline size carryon each, so have to make the most of it for at least 2-3 scenarios (pool/beach, dining and sightseeing).

That said:

My thoughts- check out the ports, will the ship dock right there or is it outside the port city. Venice is great, Athens is a train ride. What about the places of interest? Ephesus: no shade, long trip from port, steep site, ancient pathways may be difficult for the kids especially 3 yr old. You might want to check forums for traveling with kids and see if you get some different perspectives. Is 14 day cruise plus additional travel too much for kids? Split: on our bucket list to see The Palace and I then took the bus to Trogir but Split will be fairly easy.

Hours at port: can you do the highlights at a port with the kids and then come back to the ship, drop them off and you return to either continue more sightseeing or moonlight stroll, romantic dinner?

Will you have a stroller? Will you be coming back to Europe again when the kids are older, or do you want to do everything now, no matter how young?

I mention these thoughts as my husband can really only last a few hours on a trip and we mainly just cruise now. So I plan the highlights for the AM until no later than 1 and our last trip we left the ship at 8am almost every day. He then went back to ship and I continued on, hitting something new, retracing my steps to now linger at a lovely spot or hitting the market. So I equate my hubby with your kids!

We also bring international phones with us since we do split up.

Hope this helps. Your kids are very lucky.

Thanks for the help. I have gone and read the Mini Jade review. It has been useful. As you mentioned, travelling from Australia to Europe is long-haul, so we plan to make the most of it! I certainly hope we will come back to Europe when our kids are older. I don't want to think this is our last time. That is why I am thinking a cruise will be a good balance for the kids and us. Enough downtime and relaxing, sprinkled with some sightseeing.

Weather: Oct/Nov weather was incredible. 65-75 and on a 30 day trip we had one rainy day (Toulon). I use fodor.com/destination and on the right side is weather for your travel period. It was spot on. We only travel with one airline size carryon each, so have to make the most of it for at least 2-3 scenarios (pool/beach, dining and sightseeing).

Off topic, I just tried using that website to see how the weather will be in Greece/Turkey/etc. in July/August but unable to see that tab on the right ?