Weeklong solo as my first-ever cruise?

perditax

I've never cruised, but I seem to have caught the cruising bug bad.

My significant other and I have a four-day Bahamas newb-cruise in September, the idea being we'd see how we liked it before committing to anything longer. He is less enthralled with the idea than I am, but he's being pretty game about it.

That said. I have a lot more available vacation time than he does, and my patience for September to come is waning.

We've discussed me going on a cruise alone sooner, and it seems like it might be a solution. The only issue I see is that the ships I'd like to sail on (the NCL classes with studios) are mostly 7-day, so I'd be committed for at least a week--and I have no idea if I may end up hating it or being seasick since I've never cruised.

Otherwise I think I'm fairly temperamentally suited for solo travel--we are both introverts who enjoy spending big chunks of time doing our own thing. I'm not a terribly social or outgoing person. I have some anxiety issues that'll doubtless be tweaked by all the unknowns, but I also have Xanax.

Like a lot of solo discussions I see, mealtimes are one of my few worries. I'd probably avoid the MDR because I wouldn't particularly be looking to meet new people, but I'd like to hit speciality dining without getting weird looks.

Bottom line, I guess I'm looking for feedback on whether doing a weeklong solo cruise as my first cruise may be a particularly bad idea. I'd also love to hear feedback from people who have done the NCL studios

Edited by perditax

Hi!

I did my 1st solo for 10 days but had been on a cruise before so knew I liked cruising. On non NCL ships I always ask for a large table so I have the same people to talk to each night.

I've also done the studio cabins on NCL Epic 3 times & Getaway once solo & enjoyed them. I asked to sit with others when I went to the MDR as I don't like sitting alone to eat. If you go to the solo gathering the 1st night you could meet some likeminded person to do things with. I planned what I wanted to do in case that didn't happen & went to some dinners like Wine Lovers & the Illusionarium alone. Dining in the specialty restaurants gives you great service & no weird looks that I was aware of.

Hope this helps & you enjoy your 1st solo cruise.

~ Jo ~ :)

Hi!

I did my 1st solo for 10 days but had been on a cruise before so knew I liked cruising. On non NCL ships I always ask for a large table so I have the same people to talk to each night.

I've also done the studio cabins on NCL Epic 3 times & Getaway once solo & enjoyed them. I asked to sit with others when I went to the MDR as I don't like sitting alone to eat. If you go to the solo gathering the 1st night you could meet some likeminded person to do things with. I planned what I wanted to do in case that didn't happen & went to some dinners like Wine Lovers & the Illusionarium alone. Dining in the specialty restaurants gives you great service & no weird looks that I was aware of.

Hope this helps & you enjoy your 1st solo cruise.

~ Jo ~ :)

Thanks for the fast response!

After my original post, I started reading more about solo meet ups and roll calls in general, and realized that despite my introvert nature, maybe I shouldn't be in the mindset of spending the whole time completely alone. (Although I really do enjoy eating alone and reading ... Although being part of a large dinner group where I could talk or NOT talk while still blending in could work too ...)

How do you find the clothing storage space to be on the studios?

My first solo cruise was 7 days also. I think many people have their first solo cruises as 7 days, because that's the most popular length out there. If you think you'll enjoy it and can afford it, then go!

As far as eating alone, I do it all the time and don't stop when I'm on a cruise. I ignore those people giving me funny looks. They don't know my story unless I tell them. But if you want to meet others to dine with, you can do that too.

My first solo cruise was 7 days also. I think many people have their first solo cruises as 7 days, because that's the most popular length out there. If you think you'll enjoy it and can afford it, then go!

As far as eating alone, I do it all the time and don't stop when I'm on a cruise. I ignore those people giving me funny looks. They don't know my story unless I tell them. But if you want to meet others to dine with, you can do that too.

I think doing a 7 day is a good way to see if shorter or longer trips is better fit for anyone - solo, as couple, family or a group. I am glad I did 2 one weeks 1st solo because it made it easy to see I prefer 2 week ones better than a shorter or standard 7 day one by myself- no rush to do everything at once especially on the same line and/or class of ship. Plus way more relaxing, satisfying and stress detoxing as well.[emoji16]

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

The only issue I see is that the ships I'd like to sail on (the NCL classes with studios) are mostly 7-day, so I'd be committed for at least a week--and I have no idea if I may end up hating it or being seasick since I've never cruised.

Be sure to carefully compare the price of those studio cabins to other options on NCL. In many cases they aren't that much (or any) cheaper.

Also, note that eating alone (if that's your preference) aboard NCL is never a problem, and I've never felt any sort of stigma attached to it.

Be sure to carefully compare the price of those studio cabins to other options on NCL. In many cases they aren't that much (or any) cheaper.

Also, note that eating alone (if that's your preference) aboard NCL is never a problem, and I've never felt any sort of stigma attached to it.

Thanks for the heads-up.

What I'm mostly seeing with the current NCL site and the dates I'm looking at (mostly for Getaway for the next month or two), the studios do come down to (at the final booking page) around $1000, but the insides manage to get up to $1500-$1700 when all is said and done, with 1 guest selected. I suppose I should take into account the cost of the UD(ining)P, which I would almost certainly buy if I got a studio and which I think I can get as a promo code for a normal inside, but it still seems like a big bump. Am I possibly doing it wrong?

Edited by perditax

Thanks for the heads-up.

What I'm mostly seeing with the current NCL site and the dates I'm looking at (mostly for Getaway for the next month or two), the studios do come down to (at the final booking page) around $1000, but the insides manage to get up to $1500-$1700 when all is said and done, with 1 guest selected. I suppose I should take into account the cost of the UD(ining)P, which I would almost certainly buy if I got a studio and which I think I can get as a promo code for a normal inside, but it still seems like a big bump. Am I possibly doing it wrong?

No, you're doing it right - remember a studio is priced for one person while other rooms will be priced for double-occupancy even if there is only one person in the room. Sometimes, a regular inside or other another type of room will be cheaper than Studio due lack of demand, but those are rare. You have to decide if that is worth the cost or not - especially with the summer months coming, where the prices of any room is going to be steep.

Thanks for the heads-up.

The current promo you have to book a ocean view at the least. UBP is $450 total and UDP is $160 total (I included gratuity in the price). DSC is @ $90. I forget what daily spa passes are along with prices for the Vibe if you were interested in that. You should be ok with a studio, at least you get a "window" there.

The current promo you have to book a ocean view at the least. UBP is $450 total and UDP is $160 total (I included gratuity in the price). DSC is @ $90. I forget what daily spa passes are along with prices for the Vibe if you were interested in that. You should be ok with a studio, at least you get a "window" there.

Yep, you're right. Not sure where I saw a possible "pick one", maybe I had been playing around with an OV at some point.

And yes, interested in Vibe and the spa, although I'm confused on what the overall adults-only areas are and if any of them are free. :) (Spa meaning, I'd like to have access to tubs of varying temperatures.)

Yep, you're right. Not sure where I saw a possible "pick one", maybe I had been playing around with an OV at some point.

And yes, interested in Vibe and the spa, although I'm confused on what the overall adults-only areas are and if any of them are free. :) (Spa meaning, I'd like to have access to tubs of varying temperatures.)

Spice H20 is free and adults only (18+) prior to @ 8 pm I think. At that time it becomes an all ages deck party. Vibe is 18+ only, but there is a fee. I also believe it closes at 10 pm or 11. Not sure if they turn key access off or if its still accessible but the bar and hot tubs are closed. Royal and Carnival are the 2 lines that I know have an area for adults only that is open at all times. The Spa does have a circuit and cold plunges I believe along with several therapy rooms. Here is a link to a guy that does REALLY good reviews with lots of pictures and details. So far the Getaway is his favorite ship is seems like:

http://www.jimzim.net/NorwegianGetaway.html

The Getaway spa is fabulous, and as of last August when I was on Getaway it was $199 for the week...and depending how crowded the ship is if you think you want the weekly pass you will want to buy it early because they sell a limited number of them. But I know you can take a tour that first day and see if you think you are interested.

On my Getaway cruise I never got off the ship in any of the ports and spent a lot of time in the spa. But on your first-ever cruise you probably want to see the various ports, so buying a weekly pass may not be a good use of your vacation dollars!

It's a great ship!

Edited by bottomfeeder

My first cruise was 7 days to Alaska on Princess and I was solo. I had the time of my life.

That was 11 years ago. I didn't know about Cruise Critic back then. I didn't learn about CC until my second (solo) cruise the following year.

But, I also didn't know I was supposed to be worried about cruising solo; I just knew I was going to have a good time and I did.

My first cruise was a solo cruise on Epic her inaugural year. I'd resisted cruising until then--despite my parents' encouragement--because I refused to spend double. When NCL debuted Epic with the studios, I figured I'd try it out, so I ended up with a studio on her 5th sailing from Miami.

Honestly, I really like the studios. They're a good size, with plenty of storage space and enough room to relax. If I just want to read, I've gone up on deck, or into the Studio Lounge, or just in the cabin. I've never had a problem with eating solo in any of the specialty dining, with the servers or other passengers. At first, I had a few other passengers tell me "Oh, I could never do that," but by my second time on Epic, people seemed to be more accustomed to the fact of the studios, and that there were a fair number of people onboard who were in fact cruising solo (despite being Valentine's Day week). If I felt like dining alone in the MDR, that was no problem. If I felt like dining with others, I would usually go with a group after the solos meeting, or with other friends I ended up making on the trip. The whole dining thing was remarkably laid back, really.

In short, if you're considering cruising at all, I think you'd be fine with a 7-day solo cruise as your first cruise, given your self-description.

My first cruise was a solo cruise on Epic her inaugural year. I'd resisted cruising until then--despite my parents' encouragement--because I refused to spend double. When NCL debuted Epic with the studios, I figured I'd try it out, so I ended up with a studio on her 5th sailing from Miami.

Honestly, I really like the studios. They're a good size, with plenty of storage space and enough room to relax. If I just want to read, I've gone up on deck, or into the Studio Lounge, or just in the cabin. I've never had a problem with eating solo in any of the specialty dining, with the servers or other passengers. At first, I had a few other passengers tell me "Oh, I could never do that," but by my second time on Epic, people seemed to be more accustomed to the fact of the studios, and that there were a fair number of people onboard who were in fact cruising solo (despite being Valentine's Day week). If I felt like dining alone in the MDR, that was no problem. If I felt like dining with others, I would usually go with a group after the solos meeting, or with other friends I ended up making on the trip. The whole dining thing was remarkably laid back, really.

In short, if you're considering cruising at all, I think you'd be fine with a 7-day solo cruise as your first cruise, given your self-description.

Thank you! This all sounds lovely.

I actually like the way the studios look. Don't get me wrong, in most cases I'm a sucker for square footage, but there's something very cozy about them (in a tiny IKEA kind of way) and I lean towards feeling like it would be relaxing and "safe" feeling rather than claustrophobic.

Thank you! This all sounds lovely.

I actually like the way the studios look. Don't get me wrong, in most cases I'm a sucker for square footage, but there's something very cozy about them (in a tiny IKEA kind of way) and I lean towards feeling like it would be relaxing and "safe" feeling rather than claustrophobic.

I think its the way its setup especially with the bathroom, shower and storage. Especially the toilet - that has to be most private toilet I have ever encounter on a cruise ship or hotel, more privacy than the other room's bathroom setup and its for one person. I would never had thought to put the sink where they have it at either..

I didn't learn about CC until my second (solo) cruise the following year.

But, I also didn't know I was supposed to be worried about cruising solo; I just knew I was going to have a good time and I did.

That was my experience too, although I only found CC for cruise number 10 [emoji2]. I just do my own thing, and I'm still loving cruises.

My first 2 solo cruises were for 7 days (there aren't many shorter cruises from the UK), but after that I realised its just not long enough and now I try for 14 nights for my main holiday and 7 if I'm lucky enough to manage 2 in one year!

Perditax I would suggest you try the MDR, just so you know what you are missing. I had formal dining on my 3rd cruise and discovered the wonders of 4 course dinners and now I mainly save the buffet for breakfast & lunch. I tend to pick the freestyle option if I can now and eat when I like, sometimes with others, sometimes on my own. I don't deliberately look to meet new friends, but that just happens sometimes and they have generally also been the best cruises.

Have a great time!

Loved my studio on Epic. It was perfect size for one-the only storage issue I noted was lack of drawer space-plenty of closet space though...odd complaint. No weird looks-my Epic trip was with my mother but she went to bed so early I was frequently on my own in restaurants and bars. I wish I had made more of an effort to make the solo gatherings, but usually could not because it conflicted with my mother's awake time:rolleyes: I like NCL for solo although my first solo was actually Disney-yes, the most family oriented cruise line there is...and yet, it was the most awesome cruise ever. Could be because it was Disney, could be because it was solo. Either way, I am a hooked solo cruiser!

I am doing my first solo cruise in June. I have cruised before but with family and friends. I have been on a few vacations alone, but knew people where I went so I was never totally solo. I am sooooo excited about this! My friends have all said they could never do it. I am pretty outgoing, but also fine on my own. Once I experience this and it's all good, then I won't have to depend on friends and family to vacation with all the time. I will make new friends as I go!

Then again, the idea of not talking to anyone for a week is appealing too! I am in HR and I am surrounded by people all the time.

Guess I'll find out in 52 days!

I am doing my first solo cruise in June. I have cruised before but with family and friends. I have been on a few vacations alone, but knew people where I went so I was never totally solo. I am sooooo excited about this! My friends have all said they could never do it. I am pretty outgoing, but also fine on my own. Once I experience this and it's all good, then I won't have to depend on friends and family to vacation with all the time. I will make new friends as I go!

Then again, the idea of not talking to anyone for a week is appealing too! I am in HR and I am surrounded by people all the time.

Guess I'll find out in 52 days!

If you hate like making decisions for yourself, you're going to hate being by yourself, let alone being a solo traveler - you're going to fine.;) That what it pretty much takes for being a soloer - deciding what you want to do with your time, what time to eat, where you want to go for your vacation, you're not compromising with no one but yourself. As well as having a room and especially a bathroom all to yourself without having to wait on anybody. It really is one of the best ways to travel and enjoy one's time.:)

Edited by maywell

If you hate like making decisions for yourself, you're going to hate being by yourself, let alone being a solo traveler - you're going to fine.;) That what it pretty much takes for being a soloer - deciding what you want to do with your time, what time to eat, where you want to go for your vacation, you're not compromising with no one but yourself. As well as having a room and especially a bathroom all to yourself without having to wait on anybody. It really is one of the best ways to travel and enjoy one's time.:)

I feel so guilty about being so excited about it. I am not telling my mom until a week before because I know she will want to go. I love my mom and I vacation with her once a year.....and that's enough! :D

I feel so guilty about being so excited about it. I am not telling my mom until a week before because I know she will want to go. I love my mom and I vacation with her once a year.....and that's enough! :D

I know the feeling - mine's like to guilty trip for eating sushi and playing $5 lotto a week among other things, so you know when I go away for an evening, a day, weekend or even a week, its nuclear.[emoji21] I had to tell her and family like now so when Nov/Dec scheduled trip comes, they have no excuse to be upset or anything. The funny /worst part - They get upset that I travel without them but when I try plan a trip with them its either 1) they dunno when to go, so can't put any on the calendar ~or~ 2) they pull a super last-minute trip that I can't go anyway. Yeah, I have that family.....[emoji52]

Edit: Now that think about it, thanks goodness I don't travel with them - I don't even a moment of peace when I use the bathroom while visiting family; let alone when going anywhere with them. Not traveling with them is for the best...[emoji15]

Edited by maywell

I've never cruised, but I seem to have caught the cruising bug bad.

My significant other and I have a four-day Bahamas newb-cruise in September, the idea being we'd see how we liked it before committing to anything longer. He is less enthralled with the idea than I am, but he's being pretty game about it.

That said. I have a lot more available vacation time than he does, and my patience for September to come is waning.

We've discussed me going on a cruise alone sooner, and it seems like it might be a solution. The only issue I see is that the ships I'd like to sail on (the NCL classes with studios) are mostly 7-day, so I'd be committed for at least a week--and I have no idea if I may end up hating it or being seasick since I've never cruised.

Otherwise I think I'm fairly temperamentally suited for solo travel--we are both introverts who enjoy spending big chunks of time doing our own thing. I'm not a terribly social or outgoing person. I have some anxiety issues that'll doubtless be tweaked by all the unknowns, but I also have Xanax.

Like a lot of solo discussions I see, mealtimes are one of my few worries. I'd probably avoid the MDR because I wouldn't particularly be looking to meet new people, but I'd like to hit speciality dining without getting weird looks.

Bottom line, I guess I'm looking for feedback on whether doing a weeklong solo cruise as my first cruise may be a particularly bad idea. I'd also love to hear feedback from people who have done the NCL studios

Read the daily sheet left in your room each night to see how to plan your day and read around here to see if someone has dailies from your same cruise. That will give you some ideas of what the ship offers that you might do.... or just do nothing the entire cruise but lay by the pool.