Free Upgrades?

bakersdozen12

So I'm booked for two cruises, both under the Early Saver rate. I noticed that for one, in the description, it says that it comes with "free upgrades." Can someone explain to me exactly what that means?

Edited by bakersdozen12

So I'm booked for two cruises, both under the Early Saver rate. I noticed that for one, in the description, it says that it comes with "free upgrades." Can someone explain to me exactly what that means?

All rooms are classed according to their decks; lowest is Category A, then B, C and so on and so forth.

Upgrade simply means; if you purchase an interior room on Deck 2, you may be upgraded to an interior room on Deck 7 for instance. Same with an Oceanview or a Balcony room. The higher the alphabet, the higher the deck and higher the price.

Edited by hirent

All rooms are classed according to their decks; lowest is Category A, then B, C and so on and so forth.

Upgrade simply means; if you purchase an interior room on Deck 2, you may be upgraded to an interior room on Deck 7 for instance. Same with an Oceanview or a Balcony room. The higher the alphabet, the higher the deck and higher the price.

Does that mean they are also better appointed/decorated the higher deck/class and price you do? For example, an oceanview on deck 4 versus a oceanview on deck 8?

If not, what is the fascination of the cruise line to price the same rooms that are higher on the ship for more money?

So then what would an upgrade from an aft wrap be? And could they force us to upgrade? Because actually, I really want the aft wrap that I booked.

If not, what is the fascination of the cruise line to price the same rooms that are higher on the ship for more money?

There is NO difference from an interior or a balcony cabin whether on deck 4, 6, 8, or 11.

Why the higher price?

Because people are willing to pay it.

Other than the suites, all of the cabins look alike. The perception is that the higher the deck the more desirable the cabin is. That is why Carnival, and all cruise lines, price higher deck cabins at more money.

The real difference is in the number part of the category. 4's are inside, 6's are outside, and 8's and 9's are balconies. The letter part refers to location which can be forward, midship or aft and on which deck. 8A's are on a lower deck than 8E's for example. Sometimes being on a higher deck isn't as good as being on a lower deck because of what is above or below you.

So then what would an upgrade from an aft wrap be? And could they force us to upgrade? Because actually, I really want the aft wrap that I booked.

Aft wrap on deck 8 rather than an aft wrap on deck 7

The only thing better than an aft wrap is a suite. You would not be moved from an aft wrap without your consent unless there is an occupancy issue and you were under the maximum allowed and even then it would be pretty rare.

Aft wrap on deck 8 rather than an aft wrap on deck 7

And that depends on which ship. The Conquest class ships have the Lido on deck 9 so I would not want a cabin on deck 8 below the Lido.

If it is a Dream class ship then I would take a deck 8 cabin because the Lido is on deck 10. I would not want the aft wrap on deck 9 on a Dream class ship unless it was a free upgrade because of the layout of the cabin and the balcony is completely covered.

The only thing better than an aft wrap is a suite. You would not be moved from an aft wrap without your consent unless there is an occupancy issue and you were under the maximum allowed and even then it would be pretty rare.

Ok, that's good to know. The room we have booked only sleeps 2, and there are 2 of us.

The free upgrades aren't a future thing, it would have been applied at the time of booking. When you booked you could have taken a stateroom on deck 5, but maybe staterooms on up through deck 8 were included at no additional charge. Sometimes its only a 2 category upgrade, sometimes it can be all - say 8a thru 8f for the same price.

The free upgrades aren't a future thing, it would have been applied at the time of booking. When you booked you could have taken a stateroom on deck 5, but maybe staterooms on up through deck 8 were included at no additional charge. Sometimes its only a 2 category upgrade, sometimes it can be all - say 8a thru 8f for the same price.

Ah ok, that's good to know. Even though other people like higher up cabins, I purposely wanted an aft wrap on deck 6 as opposed to decks 7 or 8. I am also in the club of not understanding why some people think higher up is better.

I am also in the club of not understanding why some people think higher up is better.

I chose a cabin on the Lido deck so I would be close to where I spend the majority of our time - pools and food areas. So when I walk out my door, I make a right turn, walk a short distance down the hall and am in "recreation central".

I also prefer the views from the balcony from that height.

I am also in the club of not understanding why some people think higher up is better.

For Balcony cabins, views will be better the higher you go.

For interior cabins, it is actually better to be lower since the motion of the ship will be less pronounced the closer you are to the water.

And of course, depending on which activities/dining locations you prefer to be close to; Lido deck is where most of the action takes place, some might prefer the lounge/theater/guest services/MDRs/atrium etc.

I guess cruise companies figured out a long time ago that people were willing to pay higher prices for higher decks.