Outdoor movies on the summit???

sullyd

They did have some outdoor movies when I was on the Summit in March. I think at least 2 that I recall. Would have to go home and look at the dailies to confirm if there were any more.

Just a general question, why is this thread still active? Celebrity doesn't have outdoor movies on any ship.

You didn't bother to read the thread?:confused::)

Simon,

A little off topic, but did you enjoy your Millennium cruise to Asia and did you post a review? I have seen you post that there were a couple of issues for which to had to contact X after the sailing?

And to keep on the thread topic, Millie not having an outdoor movie screen won't impact on our enjoyment :D.

I'm with you on the movies...nothing like fresh ocean air and stars above watching a movie at sea. The old foggies are against it since they started making movies with sound.

My kids need to be tamed for a while unless they want them running the halls? The more things to do the better....

lol

Simon,

A little off topic, but did you enjoy your Millennium cruise to Asia and did you post a review? I have seen you post that there were a couple of issues for which to had to contact X after the sailing?

And to keep on the thread topic, Millie not having an outdoor movie screen won't impact on our enjoyment :D.

Hi villauk,

I didn't post a review but I can tell you that our Asia cruise on Millennium was fantastic. We definitely want to return to Hong Kong and Bangkok. Vietnam was interesting but I think we saw everything we wanted.

We had some concerns regarding the condition of Millennium after reading all of the negative reviews on here but with the exception of a few small issues, we thought the ship was in great shape. The outdoor furniture at the sunset bar was not in great condition and we noticed that when looking down from the sunset bar, all of the aft balconies were very very dirty. It didn't bother us as we were in one of the "new" oceanview staterooms on deck 3 (which we loved). We didn't experience any bad sewer smells or see any torn carpets as previous cruisers had reported.

The food in the MDR was excellent. There was only 1 evening out of the 14 where I wasn't enjoying my meal and our waiter insisted on taking it away and bringing me an alternative.

We met some great people on our roll call and joined them on excursions (thanks Regula):)

My only complaint was that we booked and paid in advance for the 2 of us to dine in The Olympic on 2 separate evenings at a cost of $45 each per evening $180 total. We both had the Premium alcohol package and we were disappointed when the sommelier refused to serve us Prosecco informing us that they only serve champagne in The Olympic and that we would have to pay the difference.

The same situation with the wine list-there was not a single choice available which was included in the premium package and when I queried this with our waiter (as this had not been the case when we dined in Ocean Liners or SS United States) I was told that it is up to the sommelier if he wants to keep wines available which are included in the packages or not-and this sommelier chooses not to.

I was discussing this on another thread after we returned and another CC member suggested that I sent in a query/complaint to the contact Michael email address as this did not seem to be correct policy. My email resulted in me receiving a Call from the US assuring me that this was not policy and that a selection of wines which are included in the packages should be available in all speciality restaurants and that an advisory has been sent out to all ships reiterating the policy. As an apology we were given some additional OBC for our booked Reflection cruise.

We would definitely like to travel to Asia again and would not hesitate to sail Millennium again.

Sorry to everyone else for going off topic but I just wanted to answer villauk's question.

I think if people look at the question of outdoor movies objectively, without some of the snarky views and comments made on this thread (silent movies? seriously??), then a reasonable conversation can be held.

Would most people object to outdoor movies provided they were held in an area not disruptive to others, at times not disruptive to others? I would hazard a guess not. The concern (and I think it is a valid one) is that Celebrity not follow the pack and start showing outdoor movies loudly in areas where doing so adversely impacts other cruisers. If what was said about what happened to the Princess movie screens (commercials, pitches for shore excursions, etc.) is true, then OMG I certainly hope Celebrity does not fall into that trap!!

Different cruise lines appeal to different types of cruisers by differentiating themselves in various ways. Celebrity promotes 'modern luxury' and has a reputation of a classy, quieter, and more upscale environment than most other mid-range lines. Going too far with a Princess-type outdoor movie scenario flies in the face of their target marketing. This really has nothing to do with age - it has to do with the type of environment promoted and hopefully delivered. Speaking for myself, I enjoyed the quiet elegance of Celebrity when I started cruising the line in my early 40's and many years later I still do. There are many like me in all ages.

There is certainly nothing inherently wrong with outdoor movies if people enjoy them - but the large outdoor movies screen with videos and commercials and other hyping definitely does not fit the Celebrity product.

Hi villauk,

I didn't post a review but I can tell you that our Asia cruise on Millennium was fantastic. We definitely want to return to Hong Kong and Bangkok. Vietnam was interesting but I think we saw everything we wanted.

We had some concerns regarding the condition of Millennium after reading all of the negative reviews on here but with the exception of a few small issues, we thought the ship was in great shape. The outdoor furniture at the sunset bar was not in great condition and we noticed that when looking down from the sunset bar, all of the aft balconies were very very dirty. It didn't bother us as we were in one of the "new" oceanview staterooms on deck 3 (which we loved). We didn't experience any bad sewer smells or see any torn carpets as previous cruisers had reported.

The food in the MDR was excellent. There was only 1 evening out of the 14 where I wasn't enjoying my meal and our waiter insisted on taking it away and bringing me an alternative.

We met some great people on our roll call and joined them on excursions (thanks Regula):)

My only complaint was that we booked and paid in advance for the 2 of us to dine in The Olympic on 2 separate evenings at a cost of $45 each per evening $180 total. We both had the Premium alcohol package and we were disappointed when the sommelier refused to serve us Prosecco informing us that they only serve champagne in The Olympic and that we would have to pay the difference.

The same situation with the wine list-there was not a single choice available which was included in the premium package and when I queried this with our waiter (as this had not been the case when we dined in Ocean Liners or SS United States) I was told that it is up to the sommelier if he wants to keep wines available which are included in the packages or not-and this sommelier chooses not to.

I was discussing this on another thread after we returned and another CC member suggested that I sent in a query/complaint to the contact Michael email address as this did not seem to be correct policy. My email resulted in me receiving a Call from the US assuring me that this was not policy and that a selection of wines which are included in the packages should be available in all speciality restaurants and that an advisory has been sent out to all ships reiterating the policy. As an apology we were given some additional OBC for our booked Reflection cruise.

We would definitely like to travel to Asia again and would not hesitate to sail Millennium again.

Sorry to everyone else for going off topic but I just wanted to answer villauk's question.

Thank you so much for your favourable response. We are in one of those aft balconies (FV), so I'll be checking that out ;). Glad to hear all was sorted regarding your complaint and pleased to hear that you had such a wonderful time. We're definitely looking forward to our Asian adventure.

I also apologise to all for going off-topic, but sometimes one has to take an opportunity when given....now back to movie screens on X...... :D.