Bank Notes - Help

Jacru

While getting rid of some old travel documents, I found two 50-pound notes that were left over from a cruise-tour that we took in 2007. At the time I had hidden them in a "safe" :) place. My local bank (upstate New York) would not accept them for conversion back into dollars as apparently they have been withdrawn (whatever that means).

The notes are pink and black in color with pictures of the Queen on the front and Houblon 1632-1712 on the back. There is also a smaller picture on the back with the caption "1694 1994 The Bank Gatekeeper Sir John Houblon's House in Threadneedle Street" (all letters are capitalised).

My question: Even though the notes are "withdrawn", are they still recognised as legal tender in Britain? Will they be accepted by the shops? One of our friends plan to travel to the UK in September, and I can give them to her.

Thanks for a response.

Jan

There's information for you on the following website:

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/BANKNOTES/Pages/withdrawn/default.aspx

It looks like your notes were withdrawn last year and no they won't be accepted in shops.

Some banks, building societies, and Post Offices may still accept the most recent of the notes withdrawn from circulation for deposit to customer accounts or exchange for current series notes. However, agreeing to exchange these notes is at the discretion of the individual institution.

Edited by Ray66

Giving the old bank notes to a friend sounds a reasonable idea. He or she can try to change them in a local bank or post office. If this fails the Bank of England are very good at this sort of thing by post. I found most of the remains of a half burnt £5 note behind my fire place and downloaded a form posted it off and they credited my bank account.

Regards John

Whereabouts is your friend planning to travel in the UK?

This may sound extremely risky to you, but if they are planning to visit Liverpool, I'd be happy to show them around (work permitting) and I'd be happy for you to send me the £50s, I could process them through my account and then either transfer the funds to your account or give the £100 to your friend in person.

• 2 years later...

We are visiting the UK later this year, then not planning on being back for about a year.

Query regarding the current use of new vs old notes.

Am I correct in the following assumptions:

50 ; no problem,

20; I shouldn't plan on bring any of these back with me due to the time before I may be back;

10; I will be given only the new notes. Do I need to check each of these.

5; no problem.

Thanks

£50 - be aware that some places don't accept these. The treasury hasn't decided yet whether to bring out a polymer version or whether to ditch them altogether

£20 - these are being replaced with polymer ones in 2020

£10 and £5 - these are all now in use in polymer and are significantly different than the old paper ones which can no longer be accepted (except at the Bank of England).