Is there ever a discount for drink packages?

Recently RCI had a buy one/get one 50% off deal on the premium pacakge. My travel agent checked and it was only on certain bookings. She would have to rebook my trip at a higher price in order for me to take advantage of the BOGO50 deal.

My question is ... is there ever a time when the drink packages are discounted at all? Not sure if I should wait for a deal or just buy the packages now.

Thanks!

I haven't seen them discounted except for the (questionable) sale you mentioned above. I say questionable, because of the loose usage of the term "sale". They jack up the rates to cover the cost of the (fill in the blank). In this case, it was 50% off the second alcohol package. Previously it was "free" OBC. Before that, half off certain passengers (2nd, 3rd, 4th... who knows).

Point is, they've raised the a la carte pricing for alcohol on the ships very recently. They also raised the gratuity for alcohol purchases. As of yet, the price of the packages hasn't increased, but I'd probably bet that the package price increase isn't far off. We went ahead and purchased ours for our upcoming November cruise so that if they do raise prices before then, at least we're paid at the current rate.

Edited by Sherri914

Our cruise is in September and I am thinking the same thing - that I should purchase now at current prices.

I did find the following on the RCI site:

Q: Can I cancel or change any of my Wine & Beverage packages?

A: Orders may be modified up to four days before the sail date either online or by calling (800) 398-9819.

Once onboard, the guest may cancel or change their package for onboard credit. However, any consumed items will be charged.

So I guess I can buy now and if a "deal" appears, I can cancel and buy again.

Our cruise is in September and I am thinking the same thing - that I should purchase now at current prices.

I did find the following on the RCI site:

Q: Can I cancel or change any of my Wine & Beverage packages?

A: Orders may be modified up to four days before the sail date either online or by calling (800) 398-9819.

Once onboard, the guest may cancel or change their package for onboard credit. However, any consumed items will be charged.

So I guess I can buy now and if a "deal" appears, I can cancel and buy again.

This is true. However, if any "deal" is tied to cruise price, you will have to re-price your cruise to get the deal.

How does one go about pre purchasing the drink packages? We booked through an outside travel agent....

Use the Cruise Planner section of Royal's website. You will need your Royal (not your travel agent's) booking number.

This is true. However, if any "deal" is tied to cruise price, you will have to re-price your cruise to get the deal.

We have decided to not re-price our cruise because we got a really good deal with a state discount. So I will only buy the beverage packages outright.

I haven't seen them discounted except for the (questionable) sale you mentioned above. I say questionable, because of the loose usage of the term "sale". They jack up the rates to cover the cost of the (fill in the blank). In this case, it was 50% off the second alcohol package. Previously it was "free" OBC. Before that, half off certain passengers (2nd, 3rd, 4th... who knows).

Point is, they've raised the a la carte pricing for alcohol on the ships very recently. They also raised the gratuity for alcohol purchases. As of yet, the price of the packages hasn't increased, but I'd probably bet that the package price increase isn't far off. We went ahead and purchased ours for our upcoming November cruise so that if they do raise prices before then, at least we're paid at the current rate.

I'm sure most of what you posted is correct in that the discounted Premium Pkgs are offered to higher priced cruise fares. But... this is not the case for all of of the cruises. we were able to take advatnage of a newly released sail date of the southern Caribbean that offered a very respectable cruise fare and the BOGO50. Granted the cruise date is close to two years away, but nonetheless, we were able to take advantage of it. :)

Thanks for asking this question, I was just about to start a new thread. We just booked our first cruise using the BOGO50 and were disappointed that the bev packages were only discounted on higher priced bookings. I was a little ticked off by the advertising because there are no limitations of this sort mentioned in the offers. Even when you go online, they do not stipulated that catch.

Thanks all for the information on these boards. You've all been really helpful.

I agree with Goodtime Cruzin' - during the promo that ended the 15th we were able to get an E1 on NOS with no port fees/taxes, prepaid gratuities (I always do this for budgeting - was not a promo or anything), balcony discount and the drink promo for about $1880 for the two of us. Day after the promo ended (4/16) same cabin is $1820 w/port fees and taxes - nothing else. So, I think I got a really good deal AND it's only about 7 and 1/2 months out:).

Luck and flexible dates is what I put it down to:D

I agree with Goodtime Cruzin' - during the promo that ended the 15th we were able to get an E1 on NOS with no port fees/taxes, prepaid gratuities (I always do this for budgeting - was not a promo or anything), balcony discount and the drink promo for about $1880 for the two of us. Day after the promo ended (4/16) same cabin is $1820 w/port fees and taxes - nothing else. So, I think I got a really good deal AND it's only about 7 and 1/2 months out:).

Luck and flexible dates is what I put it down to:D

Good for you! It can't always be done, but if you work at it and study a bit, you can take advantage of some of the promos that RCL offers up.

When the drink package first came out there was a coupon that came in a email

For 25% off if you paid before you sailed. It was around a holiday time. And had

To book it by the holiday. That was the only one I have ever seen like that.