Day in Nassau

SPSGB

So here is my plan for day in Nassau - leave the ship around 9 am, get good map and do my own walking tour. After seeing some of the sights, do some shopping. After shopping take any purchases back to the ship. Here is my question - next I'd either like to go to Atlantis or Melia. Are either of these options worth it for basically a half day? Thanks

We usually go to Cable Beach (Melia) first by taking a van cab right from the pier area. Then, when we've had enough sun, we go back to the port. We find 3 hours at a time is enough sun at one time. The Melia has big pools for cooling off as well as a big stretch of beach.

• 2 weeks later...

Re your walking tour, there isn't a ton to see in Nassau. We walked to Fort Charlotte, which was cool, but otherwise I don't remember there being much but the stores. As others have said, I would do the beach first then come back and shop.

Some of the historical buildings sound interesting to me. That's one reason I want a good map. I don't want to get too far off the main drag as I will be traveling solo. I've seen some good maps in other posts and figure I can find one at the port or even on board the ship.

British Colonial Hilton

I have not been, but, I believe that they sell "Day Passes" - maybe somebody with more info will chime in!!

There are lots of threads with info about the day passes at British Colonial Hilton. If you use the search tool you can find out the current prices. I have been on the property and it is quite nice. I have not done the day pass personally though. I now the cost includes a pretty generous food and drink credit.

I signed up for a Discover Atlantis tour. It is in the afternoon so my original plan for the morning still stands.

Just take a cab to Atlantis, buy a Digs pass for about $40, and see it on your own, whenever you want. Rush hour traffic does get heavy later on in the afternoon getting back to the ship.

I like the Frommer's Walking Tour. Here are links to the map and descriptions of the sites:

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/new-providence/722464#sthash.15zxmSTa.dpbs

http://www.frommers.com/images/destinations/maps/jpg-2006/470640-mp0405nassauwalk.jpg

You may also want to add a stop at John Watling's distillery. It opened after this Frommer's tour was published, but it's located near #13 on the map.

To can do the walking tour in about 2 hours so that would still give you the afternoon to go to Melia.

Edited by CruisinCrow

BCH is currently posting a 60$ day pass with 40 of that going to a food/drink credit.

Be careful on your walking tour, the thought of you solo scares me, not for the crime, which we are now being warned about, but be careful on the sidewalks. The last time DH and I were there he fell, and really twisted his ankle badly, not 5 minutes after he fell, another woman fell and broke hers, so watch where you walk.! The first time I cruised to the Bahamas, some friends of ours (women) wandered out of the tourist area, some kids started begging from them, they were overwhelmed and tried to get a way from basically a gang of kids. One of the women fell, and when they decided to just rest, and sit on the curb, she sat on a bumble bee, and it stung her butt. IT was not her best day.:rolleyes:

Ouch! Thanks for the heads up on the sidewalks! I will be wearing walking shoes but I'll also make sure I watch my step. Also, I plan to stay within a couple of blocks of the main areas since I will be by myself