Carnival vs. Disney

LovindaBoat

So I get that this question is like asking Obama or Bush in here, but I really need some help.

We've cruised Carnival twice. Once on the Freedom with a two year old and once on the Paradise with just hubby and I.

We're at it again, but this time we're NOT going budget. We're planning a January 2017 cruise and our two choices are Disney Fantasy 7 night or Carnival Vista 7 night. Eastern Caribbean, family suite on both.

Based on a family of 4, not big gamblers or drinkers. Kids will be 8 and 5. Price is comparable. We won't purchase excursions.

Any constructive advice is welcome!

Amanda and Fam.

Price is comparable? That's....surprising.

If that is the case then I'd strongly consider Disney. However, Vista is supposed to be an amazing new ship.

Actually Disney kinda annoys me, I'd go on Carnival. Disney will be full of kids, while Carnival at that time of year will not.

A good way to decide may be to read some of the reviews of Disney. I find them all to be too kid-centric for my taste. I'm not paying thousands to spend vacation waiting in line to meet Mickey mouse. But if that's your thing, then go for it!

Edited by Lerin

So I get that this question is like asking Obama or Bush in here, but I really need some help.

We've cruised Carnival twice. Once on the Freedom with a two year old and once on the Paradise with just hubby and I.

We're at it again, but this time we're NOT going budget. We're planning a January 2017 cruise and our two choices are Disney Fantasy 7 night or Carnival Vista 7 night. Eastern Caribbean, family suite on both.

Based on a family of 4, not big gamblers or drinkers. Kids will be 8 and 5. Price is comparable. We won't purchase excursions.

Any constructive advice is welcome!

Amanda and Fam.

Your children are the perfect age for Disney!!!

Since you are not on a budget go Disney....it is fabulous!!!

Vista 8 day family harbour suite with balcony 5168.04

Disney 7 night family ocean view 2 portholes 5688.79

Well, not really "comparable" as in "equal"

8 nights vs. 7 nights

suite w/balcony vs. oceanview room

8 nights in a balcony suite vs. 7 nights in a room with two big portholes, difference - $500 less for the better room on a longer cruise.

All that being said, I'm in agreement that your kids are the perfect ages for Disney. And I love Disney.

I would not call these two comparable.

I'd go with Carnival, longer cruise, much much better cabin, and half the ship will not be little kids. Your kids will enjoy the programs on Carnival for little ones and make new friends.

For the real Disney, go to Disney Land or Disney World.

JMHO

Since you aren't budgeting and have done carnival before I say try Disney.

This is coming from the person who just tried a disney cruise and is now booked back with carnival again

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Forums mobile app

My kids are on a 7 night Disney Magic cruise right now.... They have cruised before and have a 10 & 11 yr old...all I am getting is wow wow wow Disney knows how to do families! My daughter is a very savvy traveler and just could not see how paying so much for Disney could be worth it! Well her tune has changed...

With the age of your kids do Disney!

Edited by JVilleGal

With the kids ages, I would choose Disney. Our first 2 cruises were Disney when our kids were 4 and 7 and then 7 and 10. Even though we were not as financially secure at the time of those cruises than we were for later ones, I do not regret spending more at that time to give our kids the Disney experience at an age when they got the most out of it. Having my DD at 4 look at me in wonder during one of the shows as they showed Tinker Bell flying over the ship with pixie dust sparkling the ceiling and ask "does this mean we can fly?" was well worth it. Someday I hope to give my future grandkids that same magical experience.

I would not call these two comparable.

I'd go with Carnival, longer cruise, much much better cabin, and half the ship will not be little kids. Your kids will enjoy the programs on Carnival for little ones and make new friends.

For the real Disney, go to Disney Land or Disney World.

JMHO

Well, not really "comparable" as in "equal"

8 nights vs. 7 nights

suite w/balcony vs. oceanview room

8 nights in a balcony suite vs. 7 nights in a room with two big portholes, difference - $500 less for the better room on a longer cruise.

All that being said, I'm in agreement that your kids are the perfect ages for Disney. And I love Disney.

Hmm very personal, like asking should I get a suite at Hilton or the smallest room that sleeps the same people at Four Seasons.. okay not exactly.

Disney experience is something worth a look. Carnival is "fun" and "value" the perfect balance for many. Having done both, I'd spend more for a day less anytime for the Disney, even smaller room with bunks anytime ;) Kids love Disney, even more a value!

Edited by chipmaster

My sister and I did the Disney cruise, as adults with no kids, several years ago. I was a little nervous about all the "kid" activities, etc. but . . . we loved it. Of course, we are huge Disney fans, but there was always a place to go where there were no kids, and seemed like there were always some special "adult only" activities, shows, etc. It was a huge treat to see all of the Disney characters out and about the ship. I would highly recommend Disney! (even if you didn't have kids)

Vista 8 day family harbour suite with balcony 5168.04

Disney 7 night family ocean view 2 portholes 5688.79

Family Oceanview with 2 portholes on the Disney Fantasy! I suppose you are referring to the unique category 8A cabins on deck 5 and 6. I haven't stayed in one of those, but based on videos/photos shared by others, it is very spacious with a separate living area away from the "master bedroom", and 2 TVs. Only "downside" is that it doesn't have the split bathrooms like most of other Disney cabins have.

If you haven't already seen one, here is a youtube of it:

Do a search of "dream 5522" in the forum and you should find pictures of it.

I haven't cruised Carnival so I can't comment, but a "family harbour suite" on the new Vista also sounds like a fun choice to me.

• 2 weeks later...