How formal is formal - Adventure of the Seas

One of the things I love most about the cruises are the formal nights. Went on a Cruise over Xmas 2 years ago and everyone, I mean everyone, was dressed up to the 9's. Not a single guy out of a tux and some of the most wondrous dresses. Gave the whole ship a great feel....

Unfortunately we just came back off the Oasis last week and had a rather different experience. I must have been one of a very small handful of people in Tux's and very few elegant dresses. I would have said it looked more smart casual than formal. There were a wide range so you certainly wouldn't look out of place. I was just disappointed it wasn't more glam. We just dressed to the nines and enjoyed it because that's what we went to do and had a great night.

I'd say don't fit in. Do what you want. You won't feel out of place with either really.

One of the things I love most about the cruises are the formal nights. Went on a Cruise over Xmas 2 years ago and everyone, I mean everyone, was dressed up to the 9's. Not a single guy out of a tux and some of the most wondrous dresses. Gave the whole ship a great feel....

WOW ship and date of this amazing event? :eek: or :rolleyes:

Edited by looking4info

Went on a Cruise over Xmas 2 years ago and everyone, I mean everyone, was dressed up to the 9's. Not a single guy out of a tux and some of the most wondrous dresses. Gave the whole ship a great feel....

What ship you were on? Queen Mary 2?

Not a single guy out of a tux? On a Royal Caribbean cruise? If you say so :) but I REALLY find that hard to believe on a Royal Caribbean cruise. Especially in the last two years. I certainly wont accuse you of "spreading falsehoods" though :)

Gah, I was trying to stay away from this thread :o

Edited by ryano

WOW ship and date of this amazing event? :eek: or :rolleyes:

Just checked back...

24-Dec-2011 Voyager Of The Seas 7 Night W Carib - Holiday Cruise

They had huge Christmas trees on the Promenade, Santas etc. First formal night was Christmas Day night. I guess everyone made more of an effort because it was Christmas.

Went on the Liberty round Europe on July 2013 and the majority of people were in Tux/dresses. Was very surprised at the Oasis.

EDIT : Just checked with the boss lady in case I have something wrong but she says the same. She did point out this was just the people formal dining. Plenty of others not dressed up that didn't formal dine. Sorry if that distinction cause confusion.

Edited by BustedOut

Just checked back...

24-Dec-2011 Voyager Of The Seas 7 Night W Carib - Holiday Cruise

They had huge Christmas trees on the Promenade, Santas etc. First formal night was Christmas Day night. I guess everyone made more of an effort because it was Christmas.

Went on the Liberty round Europe on July 2013 and the majority of people were in Tux/dresses. Was very surprised at the Oasis.

EDIT : Just checked with the boss lady in case I have something wrong but she says the same.

All the Royal ships have a huge tree, many decorations though out the ship and get a visit from Santa but I would guess none of the other ships have ever seen a formal night where every guy was in a tux. A truly amazing event.

I'd say don't fit in. Do what you want. You won't feel out of place with either really.

GET OUT! You do know this is the Royal Board and not the Cunard Board...right???? I haven't been on 50 cruises but on the ones I have been on I have never seen anything close to being "Everyone".....Never! That would have had to be some type of charter cruise and it was made plain that the dress was going to be tux and gowns!

OMG what have I done :(

Caveat is everyone formal dining was, not whole ship...

I'm such a failure :(

Probably why I walked off the Oasis with $120 in cashout vouchers I forgot to cash out.

Edited by BustedOut

Formal night is as formal as you want it to be.Many people use the evening for those special photos that are available on each formal night.Don't hold back.Some people don't want to be dressed up all night and will dress up smart casual in pants suits and sports jackets.Do you thing

Formal night is as formal as you want it to be.Many people use the evening for those special photos that are available on each formal night.Don't hold back.Some people don't want to be dressed up all night and will dress up smart casual in pants suits and sports jackets.Do you thing

We don't stay dressed all night ourselves. We get dressed, take the pictures eat dinner and will usually go back to the room and change back in the clothes we had on earlier before dinner for the rest of the day unless those clothes had gotten sweaty! :cool:

I had planned on a nice knee length cocktail dress for formal night but a friend just loaned me a long gown - she said it's too beautiful not to be worn more often! And while it is beautiful, I'm afraid it will be too formal. It's a sleeveless navy blue gown, with sparkles around the bodice and a full skirt - not a ball gown, but it could definitely twirl! My husband will be wearing a suit rather than a tux, and after reading all the posts about people not dressing up as much for formal night, I'm having doubts on the this dress...I don't want to be overdressed, I would definitely feel out of place! So how formal is too formal??

if you feel wonderful in the gown, wear it! I have a black ankle length hown with a sparkly top and I love it! I have worn it only on cruises. We did notice that on longer cruises, people seem to dress up more. Also many of the people on the longer cruises, not in summer, are those that might enjoy dressing up a bit more. Last cruise we did on a repo Explorer through the southern Caribbean many many were dressed formally, not so much tuxes. I enjoyed seeing all the different styles. So wear what you like and feel pretty!!

I bet the hosts were hoping I wasn't going to notice this one !!!!

Dress in your dinner suit. you won't look out of place.

You will be looked at by people (birds and blokes) that are thinking "I really wished I'd made the effort".

ignore all these "pants and shirt" types.

The glitz and glamour are why I cruise.

Enjoy looking the nuts on formal night.

I envy you !!!

• 3 weeks later...

In deciding on a first cruise or not, the dreaded formal night was a concern for us. We found lots of discussion and opinions on here. I didn't want to pack a suit, but also didn't want to miss a lobster night because I had to eat in the buffet. We booked the cruise this April when when I read a reply from a recent traveler, that casual wear works any night on RC Navigator of the Seas. While I can not speak to the dress on other cruise lines or holiday cruises, here's my short first hand take from being on the Navigator in April 2015.

While overall, people dressed up a bit more for formal night, many others were wearing casual attire. In other words, a cut above acceptable WindJammer buffet wear, but well below a tux. I wore slacks, a button up shirt with tie the first night, and witnessed many without ties, some in polo shirts. I ditched the tie after the first night. On either formal night, the unusual high end was a a lady with a flowing dress and wearing plenty of jewelry, accompanied by a fellow in a smart tux complete with a red rose. The most casual thing I saw, was a young lady in a black sleeveless AC/DC t-shirt, and not so tidy jeans. Her male counterpart wore similar clothing. So overall, most were simply just neatly dressed. I was enjoying the experience, my food, and not caring about anyone elses attire. My review is here.

RC Cruise Review

Back from our cruise! I wound up wearing the long gown while my husband wore a nice suit and tie. While there was definitely a mix of attire, there were enough people who were dressed in formal attire that I didn't feel like I was sticking out like a sore thumb. Glad I did wind up wearing it so that we were able to get a nice picture...something we seldom do!

I know last week I saw a mixture of everything even on formal nights I saw People in shorts to long dresses to fancy dresses to men in shirts and ties to men in tuxes in the MDR

I had planned on a nice knee length cocktail dress for formal night but a friend just loaned me a long gown - she said it's too beautiful not to be worn more often! And while it is beautiful, I'm afraid it will be too formal. It's a sleeveless navy blue gown, with sparkles around the bodice and a full skirt - not a ball gown, but it could definitely twirl! My husband will be wearing a suit rather than a tux, and after reading all the posts about people not dressing up as much for formal night, I'm having doubts on the this dress...I don't want to be overdressed, I would definitely feel out of place! So how formal is too formal??

I love to wear beautiful cloths and take every opportunity to do so. Luckily I do not govern my attire by others. My guess is that you will be he envy of other women! ;)

Back from our cruise! I wound up wearing the long gown while my husband wore a nice suit and tie. While there was definitely a mix of attire, there were enough people who were dressed in formal attire that I didn't feel like I was sticking out like a sore thumb. Glad I did wind up wearing it so that we were able to get a nice picture...something we seldom do!

Awesome!

In deciding on a first cruise or not, the dreaded formal night was a concern for us. We found lots of discussion and opinions on here. I didn't want to pack a suit, but also didn't want to miss a lobster night because I had to eat in the buffet. We booked the cruise this April when when I read a reply from a recent traveler, that casual wear works any night on RC Navigator of the Seas. While I can not speak to the dress on other cruise lines or holiday cruises, here's my short first hand take from being on the Navigator in April 2015.

While overall, people dressed up a bit more for formal night, many others were wearing casual attire. In other words, a cut above acceptable WindJammer buffet wear, but well below a tux. I wore slacks, a button up shirt with tie the first night, and witnessed many without ties, some in polo shirts. I ditched the tie after the first night. On either formal night, the unusual high end was a a lady with a flowing dress and wearing plenty of jewelry, accompanied by a fellow in a smart tux complete with a red rose. The most casual thing I saw, was a young lady in a black sleeveless AC/DC t-shirt, and not so tidy jeans. Her male counterpart wore similar clothing. So overall, most were simply just neatly dressed. I was enjoying the experience, my food, and not caring about anyone elses attire. My review is here.

RC Cruise Review

Thank you so much for sharing your experience! My husband wears a coat and tie every day to work, so when he's on vacation, the last thing he wants to do is put on "work clothes." He has some nice button down shirts that will work without a tie and that can be paired with dress slacks - hopefully this will feel relaxed enough for him. I also have to dress up for work, so am less than enthusiastic about having to dress formally. Sounds like a nice dress (but not necessarily cocktail dress) will work fine.

We are just off the 5/16 sailing. I wore knee length cocktail dresses for both formal nights, and DH wore gray slacks with a blazer. I should add this is what we would wear for a "5 o'clock" non-black tie wedding as well.. so we felt appropriately dressed for our standards. But as others said, you will see all kinds of things! We saw someone with a baseball hat on formal night, and many long, black tie dresses as well. To each their own! :D