How formal is formal - Adventure of the Seas

I had planned on a nice knee length cocktail dress for formal night but a friend just loaned me a long gown - she said it's too beautiful not to be worn more often! And while it is beautiful, I'm afraid it will be too formal. It's a sleeveless navy blue gown, with sparkles around the bodice and a full skirt - not a ball gown, but it could definitely twirl! My husband will be wearing a suit rather than a tux, and after reading all the posts about people not dressing up as much for formal night, I'm having doubts on the this dress...I don't want to be overdressed, I would definitely feel out of place! So how formal is too formal??

You CANNOT be TOO formal on formal night..There will be folks in ALL kinds of outfits. A gown will not be out of place...it's FORMAL night! You can't be overdressed...the others might be underdressed! You'll look stunning!

I always wear a floor length gown on formal nights. I just bought a black gown with sparkle from top to bottom lol. LOVE IT. My husband wears a tux but he used to just wear a suit and I would still wear a formal gown. It's fun! Go for the formal gown. :)

I've done both. I actually prefer the formal and feel happier in it. I will also say you'l get admiring looks from a lot of people; many I think who might think "Oh I wish we would have dressed up too". Go for it!

. . . So how formal is too formal??

Dress up and enjoy! Our two trips on Adventure I wore dark suit, wife had fine gown and good jewelry. I'd go with a tux but my good suit fits better and doesn't wrinkle as easily. Some don't do formal dress, mostly they don't try to come into the MDR and violate the stated dress codes.

My wife usually takes one long formal and one short. It's Formal Night. If you wear a Formal you will be in keeping with the Suggested Dress Code. As much as those who choose not to dress up like to say "it's my cruise I'll dress as I want," it's also "your cruise." Dress as you want. You'll likely see others in long formals too. Go for it. Dress to the nines. It's a wonderful night to be elegant.

Edited by papaflamingo

On formal night on Freedom I saw everything from Tuxes and gowns to gym shorts and flip flops. Dress as you please and wear what you want. You will likely be among the most dressed up people on the ship.

My guess, you will be among the most dressed up people in the room if you're in early dinner.

I doubt it. You will be surprised at the number of people who "respect" the dress code for the evening and use it to dress the best they have.

You will never be dressed to formal so go for it!

On formal night on Freedom I saw everything from Tuxes and gowns to gym shorts and flip flops. Dress as you please and wear what you want. You will likely be among the most dressed up people on the ship.

RCCL will turn you away if you are wearing shorts and flip flops, so don't spread falsehoods. Being respectful is something that people will remember you by, or your lack of respect.

I had planned on a nice knee length cocktail dress for formal night but a friend just loaned me a long gown - she said it's too beautiful not to be worn more often! And while it is beautiful, I'm afraid it will be too formal. It's a sleeveless navy blue gown, with sparkles around the bodice and a full skirt - not a ball gown, but it could definitely twirl! My husband will be wearing a suit rather than a tux, and after reading all the posts about people not dressing up as much for formal night, I'm having doubts on the this dress...I don't want to be overdressed, I would definitely feel out of place! So how formal is too formal??

Never a bad thing to look GREAT.

Remember, the people staring are thinking that, too- really, they are.

RCCL will turn you away if you are wearing shorts and flip flops, so don't spread falsehoods. .

Oh really? You dont have a clue as you were NOT there. I, along with everyone else at my table and most everyone else in that section of Isaacs dining room witnessed a couple sitting next to us in FLIP FLOPS and GYM SHORTS on FORMAL NIGHT! We actually couldnt believe it. I almost even took a picture! :rolleyes: So dont you go accusing me of spreading falsehoods as I know exactly what I saw.

Freedom of the Seas is NOT turning people away from the MDR. Period. In fact I saw many wearing shorts in the MDR for dinner. I am not condoning this behavior, only telling what I saw with my own eyes. Now I wish I had taken that pic.

I dont appreciate being called a liar or at the very least being accused of "spreading falsehoods" and I certainly dont need your sermon on respect. I abide by the dress code TYVM.

Edited by ryano

RCCL will turn you away if you are wearing shorts and flip flops, so don't spread falsehoods. Being respectful is something that people will remember you by, or your lack of respect.

Recently off the Adventure and while there were folks dressed in suggested attire I assure you there were folks in shorts and jeans:eek: in the MDR on formal night. So now that I have also posted contrary to your statement I guess I am also spreading falsehoods. FYI..respect is a two way street.

Freedom of the Seas, (or any other ship) is NOT turning people away from the MDR. Period. In fact I saw many wearing shorts in the MDR for dinner. I am not condoning this behavior, only telling what I saw with my own eyes. Now I wish I had taken that pic.

I dont appreciate being called a liar or at the very least being accused of "spreading falsehoods" and I certainly dont need your sermon on respect. I abide by the dress code TYVM.

Ryan..Completely agree with you. Just not the Freedom that does not turn folks away.

Just an aside...

Got of the Adventure last week. On the first night of the cruise I was in the diamond lounge wearing shorts (it was the first night, after all). In any case, I asked the Concierge if it would be necessary to wear slacks during cocktail hour, which had been my experience on the Oasis and Allure. i informed him that I would be perfectly willing to do so as I had packed the necessary attire. He assured me that "shorts are fine, as this is the Caribbean". Truthfully, I was glad to hear this, and I did wear shorts each evening (I wasn't the only one). However, I did not go to the lounge on formal nights, out if respect for fellow passengers who may have chosen to dress up for the evening.

This experience made me think that perhaps RCL is relaxing their stance on so-called "dress codes". Interestingly, I would say that the vast majority of passengers did indeed dress up for formal night. But that may have been due to the high percentage of Latin cruisers, who in my experience seem to enjoy formal wear.

I guess there is room for everyone, no matter where we sit on the "dress code" issue.

Focus, people.

This isn't about dressing down for dinner or formal night.

It's about dressing UP, it's about "Is there TOO FORMAL?"

How this gets into a debate over shorts and sandals is beyond me.

This isnt the first train to run off the track around here. You're surprised? All I did was make a statement on what I personally witnessed in the MDR on formal night and then got accused of making falsehoods followed by some lecture on respect :rolleyes:

Im gonna do my best to stay away from this one from here on out.

Edited by ryano

This isnt the first train to run off the track around here. Your surprised? All I did was make a statement on what I personally witnessed in the MDR on formal night and then got accused of making falsehoods followed by some lecture on respect :rolleyes:

Im gonna do my best to stay away from this one from here on out.

Trying to do my best to NOT have another dress code, or lack thereof, thread. It was not what was being asked.

Plenty of debates for that.

Wear it, it sounds fabulous!!! There aren't many places you can (or are encouraged to) wear a dress like that. While not everyone will be as fancy, you will not be the only one. Wear the long gown the first formal night and wear your shorter one on the second formal night. You'll look great and if you feel like getting dressed up then you will have fun with it!

Thanks for the responses. At my age (mid-50s), I shouldn't care if I stand out in the crowd, but the fact is I would feel uncomfortable if there weren't others just as dressed up! We're doing MTD, but are planning on 6:30 dinners. Maybe I'll just bring it and based on the crowd on the ship, I can wear it on the second formal night.

I have seen various styles of dress on formal nights and in spite of a lot of what you read on CC there are a whole lot of folks that dress formal on formal nights. As far as formal night attire I have seen gowns from plain to Oscar Night Red Carpet look. Men in tux or suits. My DW has never worn a gown on formal night but has worn cocktail type dresses and glitzy pants suits. I don't rent tuxes but I own a lot of suits, so I will usually bring one suit (Dark or light colored) and two shirts and two ties to change up the look on each night. Believe me when I say you will not be out of place on formal night in a gown. Wear what you like and be you! :cool:

Sounds lovely- I would definitely wear it. I always take two long gowns for formal evenings and relish the chance to dress up. No one will judge you whichever you choose as there are all types of formal wear from the very casual cocktail to the ritzy glitzy glam dresses- it's your cruise enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Dress up and enjoy! Our two trips on Adventure I wore dark suit, wife had fine gown and good jewelry. I'd go with a tux but my good suit fits better and doesn't wrinkle as easily. Some don't do formal dress, mostly they don't try to come into the MDR and violate the stated dress codes.

There is only a suggested dress code. Dressing formal is only for those people who like to dress formally. There very little formal about the suggested formal dress night, lately, not even the waiter or maybe the head waiter will have a white jacket on.

Having said that, I love to see people dressed to the nines, but it is a dress style that is not for all folks a cruise. I/we, always dress a little nicer on the DRESS UP night but never formal, period, we always eat in the MDR.

I have said this before please RCI make an area that is for "Formal DRESSERS" Actually I thought one of the new ships have this.

Edited by north29

Thanks for the responses. At my age (mid-50s), I shouldn't care if I stand out in the crowd, but the fact is I would feel uncomfortable if there weren't others just as dressed up! We're doing MTD, but are planning on 6:30 dinners. Maybe I'll just bring it and based on the crowd on the ship, I can wear it on the second formal night.

Let's put it this way; you'll feel far more out of place if you DON'T dress up than if you do. Although dressing however you want and are comfortable is totally fine and up to you. Nobody ever looks strangely at the folks who show up in gowns and sequins, but the people who show up looking like nobody told them to pack formal wear look very out of place. Whether you feel awkward though is your choice. People should wear what they want, but if you read the reviews about the MDR on this board, you will see that nobody ever gets flamed for dressing up, but lots of peolple get flamed for dressing down. Your experience onboard will be slightly different though, as most people won't publicly judge and ridicule you no matter what you wear, and if they do, who cares :)