Celebrity Reflection Eastern Med

Debbie1573

I am a first time cruiser and I have a number of questions, the first being that on my itinerary it says "Rome 1700" - does this mean that we have to board at 1700 or can we board earlier?

Another question is that I would like to visit the beach at various ports, so does Celebrity provide beach towels especially for this or should we bring our own?

I am sure there are heaps more confusing things that I need to know, but can't think of them just now! :)

On embarkation day, you need to be aboard earlier than sailing time (I think it's an hour but someone may correct me there) so the ship can clear the passenger list with customs. At other ports, don't cut it too close because the ship may leave without you if you're late! But on embarkation day, the ship usually opens for boarding around 11:30 am or so, with the cabins being ready about 1:30. Beach towels will be put into your cabin the evening before any ports so you can take them ashore --- onboard, towels are available by the pools.

I am a first time cruiser and I have a number of questions, the first being that on my itinerary it says "Rome 1700" - does this mean that we have to board at 1700 or can we board earlier?

Another question is that I would like to visit the beach at various ports, so does Celebrity provide beach towels especially for this or should we bring our own?

I am sure there are heaps more confusing things that I need to know, but can't think of them just now! :)

Registration usually opened at 11:00 am in Chitaveccia terminal based on our 3 cruises from Rome.

Please ask questions if you are not able to find your answers. Another advice -join your roll call where you can find great private tiours.

Debbie,

We did this exact cruise on the Reflection in 2013 and LOVED it. I have a very long review of it on here somewhere? This year we're doing a slightly longer version on the Equinox in September. We're all very happy to answer any questions.

Melissa

Debbie,

We did this exact cruise on the Reflection in 2013 and LOVED it. I have a very long review of it on here somewhere? This year we're doing a slightly longer version on the Equinox in September. We're all very happy to answer any questions.

Melissa

I have spent the last few hours going through your cruise review and was so upset by your lost luggage. I would hate that to happen to us, but I guess its like airline lost luggage, what can you do but claim on insurance ? Devastating.

We are definitely going to do the resort at Mykonos and I would love to do the Pompeii tour, along with the amalfi coast and sorrento. Sounds fab!

Santorini and I would like to do myself, just one of the beaches and one of the resorts (as you say it is all the same thing in the shops.

x

• 2 weeks later...
I was on the 11 night itinerary last June. Great cruise! I recall formal nights as the evenings of the first and third days at sea.

Any relation to Tommy2Gloves ?

We are on the 11 nighter departing June 8th. My guess is that the formal nights will be the 2nd Night (1st Sea Day) and the penultimate night (last sea day) however dont be surprised if the 2nd sea day is used because they can and do change from one cruise to another.

My suggestion would be to assume all the 3 sea days are formal (even though it will only be 2 of them ) and book the Speciality restaurants accordingly - although I usually wait until onboard and have an amicable barter with the Speciality Restaurant Guys. :cool:

Edited by gcgold

That's my Sopranos name given to me by the other members of my foursome. They know as long as I have a wedge or putter in my hand, they are never "out of the hole".

brilliant [emoji41]

Edited by gcgold

For Santorini, check the port schedule to see how many ships and passengers are in port that day, you can do that here:

http://ports.cruisett.com/schedule/Greece/805-Santorini_Island/August_2015/

If it's a busy day, good idea to book a ship's tour. The reason is that without a tour, you have to make your way from the tender arrival area up the very steep hill to Fira. This is done either by cable car or donkey, and the waits can be long in the hot sun if there are a lot of passengers. Ship tours take you off and to a different access point up to the island. Oia is the main attraction with breathtaking views, but you'll have to take a taxi or bus from Fira without a tour and those can be difficult on a crowded port day. I know that sometimes Reflection arrives in the afternoon, but you may still run into delays as passengers come and go, and the island itself will be very crowded.

Edited by cynbar

For Santorini, check the port schedule to see how many ships and passengers are in port that day, you can do that here:

If it's a busy day, good idea to book a ship's tour. The reason is that without a tour, you have to make your way from the tender arrival area up the very steep hill to Fira. This is done either by cable car or donkey, and the waits can be long in the hot sun if there are a lot of passengers. Ship tours take you off and to a different access point up to the island. Oia is the main attraction with breathtaking views, but you'll have to take a taxi or bus from Fira without a tour and those can be difficult on a crowded port day. I know that sometimes Reflection arrives in the afternoon, but you may still run into delays as passengers come and go, and the island itself will be very crowded.

3 ships in on 10th June. This will 8000+ passengers. My premium drinks package could take a bit of a battering that afternoon methinks:eek:

3 ships in on 10th June. This will 8000+ passengers. My premium drinks package could take a bit of a battering that afternoon methinks:eek:

But Reflection doesn't arrive until 2pm; Splendour arrives 7am, Musica 9am. So you folks will be the only ones jostling in line for the cable car. And they leave at 5pm, you stay until 10pm. You will have the tavernas to yourselves for the evening. EM

But Reflection doesn't arrive until 2pm; Splendour arrives 7am, Musica 9am. So you folks will be the only ones jostling in line for the cable car. And they leave at 5pm, you stay until 10pm. You will have the tavernas to yourselves for the evening. EM

'tabepnas' need euro's . card on boat = free drinks & no language issues ( except with marine officers [emoji12])

Might go in for a few minutes wiv a couple of apples - wind up the donkey owners/abusers and head back .

We did this tour last June. It was well worth it just to be on the first Tender and avoid the lines to get up to Fira.

The wine tour was so-so, but the bus trip to Oia and Fira was great. Got to see the entire island.

I was on the 11 night itinerary last June. Great cruise! I recall formal nights as the evenings of the first and third days at sea.

I am on this cruise now. Our formal nights were the first and third at sea days.

I have spent the last few hours going through your cruise review and was so upset by your lost luggage. I would hate that to happen to us, but I guess its like airline lost luggage, what can you do but claim on insurance ? Devastating.

We are definitely going to do the resort at Mykonos and I would love to do the Pompeii tour, along with the amalfi coast and sorrento. Sounds fab!

Santorini and I would like to do myself, just one of the beaches and one of the resorts (as you say it is all the same thing in the shops.

x

Hi Debbie,

Yes it was very upsetting for a long time. I guess we're over it for the most part and recouped the monetary value through home insurance but as you can imagine a lot of things could not be replaced. We carried our bags off the very next cruise but have since gone back to putting them out in the hall the night before. I now dont pack anything I would be upset to lose.

You may consider a ships tour as some have suggested just to get off the ship first in Santorini. The winery and the first town were still great to see and we basically used it as transportation more than a tour as we did our own thing. Having said that, I have no idea where a beach would come in.

Santorini was a hightlight of that trip for us and I am very sad that we're not stopping there in September. I would trade Mykonos for Santorini any day. Look at Argo for dinner and watch the sunset - easily a top 10 night of my life that dinner and view with my hubby!

Melissa

Any relation to Tommy2Gloves ?

We are on the 11 nighter departing June 8th. My guess is that the formal nights will be the 2nd Night (1st Sea Day) and the penultimate night (last sea day) however dont be surprised if the 2nd sea day is used because they can and do change from one cruise to another.

My suggestion would be to assume all the 3 sea days are formal (even though it will only be 2 of them ) and book the Speciality restaurants accordingly - although I usually wait until onboard and have an amicable barter with the Speciality Restaurant Guys. :cool:

Regarding booking the speciality restaurants, is it better to do it before the cruise or while we are on board, just wonder whether the price will be any different? Also when we booked we got $300 on board spend, can we use this to book the speciality restaurants?

I am on this cruise now. Our formal nights were the first and third at sea days.

How formal are the formal evenings? Could my husband wear a smart suit and tie or is he expected to wear a tux? Also are ladies wearing long dresses?

Regarding booking the speciality restaurants, is it better to do it before the cruise or while we are on board, just wonder whether the price will be any different? Also when we booked we got $300 on board spend, can we use this to book the speciality restaurants?

Yes, you can use OBC to book onboard, and yes, it can be cheaper onboard if you haggle! They often look for people to sign up, and can offer two for one deals or discounts if you are lucky.

How formal are the formal evenings? Could my husband wear a smart suit and tie or is he expected to wear a tux? Also are ladies wearing long dresses?

Formal evening is quite formal, Suit and Tie, or Tux both fine, and yes, lots of long dresses, but I am sure a knee length cocktail style would suffice too!

You can avoid formal wear altogether if you go to a speciality restaurant on formal evenings.