Shaded Areas GSC & Vibe

teacher_md

Hey Everyone!

I have sun sensitivity and need to stay out of the sun as much as possible. Couple of questions, any help would be appreciated.

- On Great Stirrup Cay - is there an area that is more shaded? I have been there a handful of times and it's always a little wild - grabbing a lounger and dragging it someone that has SOME shade. Perhaps I'm missing something. We would do the small cabana but it costs $399. First time I looked I could swear it was $199 and I was going to book it at that price. I don't think I was actually on my cruise specific booking page, which is why the price was lower. Anyone who has rented a "clam-shell"- is it really hot in there? They look like they would be uncomfortably hot.

- Vibe Beach Club (Breakaway)- similar question - Are there plenty of loungers that have umbrellas and shade? I read somewhere that the only shade available is at the bar, and I would prefer to lounge, read, drink, eat, etc. :)

Thank you so much for any help. Have a great day.

- AJ

We can answer GSC - someone else can do Vibe -

On the main beach, there are some shades & trees and if you are on the first tender getting onto the island, you can claim those. Keep in mind during the day, the sun move overhead and by the early afternoon, we had to re-position our rented Clamshell to stay shaded. (We had Priority Tender and went over to the Lagoon on the east end via the electric tram, so had first choice of location for peace & quiet from 9:30 AM to 3 PM - and easily rented the Shell on the spot, cost $30 & well worth it - it's made of heavy duty, commercial grade canvas material with very good UV protection, and decent shielding againt radiant heat - YMMV, of course.

We're there last month, temp's in the low 80's and it was very comfortable - if you go in June/July in the middle of summer, that's another story - especially without any ocean breeze. Needless to say, you will always need sun protection & reapply often - as we did too, even when it's cloudy.

Here's a picture of our GSC Clamshell - look under my/our SIGnature below, click on the review link & you will find a little more info about it.

If I'm not mistaken, book the Clamshell on the ship with ShoreEx and you will get to leave on the 1st. or 2nd. tender (each will hold up to 400 px) to be on the island first, otherwise - get the lowest tender # available on the ship once you are onboard, via iTV in the stateroom or via (not 100% sure) the mobile APP, iConcierge.

There are umbrellas in Vibe and in the public sun deck port side (both on deck 17), all the way forward. However, while underway, the wind often blew them almost overboard so the crew took them down until the ship docked.

There is also shade at the bar, depending on time of day and sun's position.

~Robin

First the beach issue: No matter where you go or what shade you are under, if you are near the sand there is a lot of UV radiation reflected off the sand and it is going to impact you. The impact is less in the shade than in the sun, but it is still there and if you are truly sensitive the potential for sun damage is high.

Others have reported about vibe.

If sun is this much of an issue you might reconsider the whole cruise vacation.

They will set it up for you, pick one at the location you like first, if there are choices - at the langoon, they are all in the last/back row - for safety reason, to not block the lifeguard's view of the beachfront & block others in the front row loungers.

Thanks for the feedback!

Not sure what I will do at GSC. Maybe I can try to get on an early tender and find a shaded area. The clam shell looks very enclosed. I'd prefer to be able to look around and enjoy the sights.

Also not sure about Vibe but I would really like to try it! Usually get a spa pass to avoid the crowds but I don't like the idea of being indoors all day. At least on Epic the spa is open to the aft.

I cover myself with 50, wear a hat and stay under an umbrella.

Sent from my iPad using Forums