Hotel recommendations Buenos Aires

woodley

We are going to stay 3 nights in Buenos Aires after our cruise. We are looking for recommendations of hotels in a good safe location with restaurants, attractions etc in walking distance. Our spanish is not good so would prefer bi lingual staff (we are using rosetta stone to get better but its a long haul).

Breakfast included would be great and free wifi. Do not mind about pools/spa etc nice to have but not sure how much time we would have to use them. Suggestions please from personal experience.

I stayed at the Hotel Claridge downtown a couple of times. I liked the location just a block off the Florida shopping street, lots of restaurants and shops within walking distance. Both rooms I had the bathrooms were extremely small though. Very nice breakfast buffet included.

Last February we stayed at the Howard Johnson Hotel Boutique Recoleta for several nights, and were very pleased. Don't think "Howard Johnson" as in the 1960s in the US -- this is small boutique hotel in the safe area of Recoleta with large rooms, large bathrooms, free Wi-Fi (not just in the lobby but in the rooms as well), and a bi-lingual friendly and helpful staff. Breakfast was included, and was essentially a continental buffet but you could also order eggs. There was an interesting restaurant "catty-corner" across the street. We enjoyed our South American cruises so much that we have booked cruises in 2017, and will most likely return to this hotel.

Are you looking for a budget hotel, mid-price, luxury? You might peruse other threads on this subject. BA is a very large city. Some neighborhoods are much nicer than others.Palermo and Recoleta are he most popular for tourists and more people friendly. Downtown is a congested central business district.

Just a suggestion......you might look into B&B's since you're staying for 3 nights, which is what many require. The hosts can give you much more personal attention and information. Taxi's are cheap to get around the city. If interested, check ratings on Trip Advisor.

Thanks for the suggestions. I am looking for a mid priced hotel not sure of location as I have never been to this city so other than safe it doesn't really matter as I assume I will have to travel to see the sights from wherever I stay.

I used to trust trip advisor but after staying in a hotel in the Key's which was a dump that gets excellent ratings and has poor reviews removed ( mine was removed and only put back on when I complained and others I have read have disappeared) I am not quite so confident of the site.

Thanks for the suggestions. I am looking for a mid priced hotel not sure of location as I have never been to this city so other than safe it doesn't really matter as I assume I will have to travel to see the sights from wherever I stay.

I used to trust trip advisor but after staying in a hotel in the Key's which was a dump that gets excellent ratings and has poor reviews removed ( mine was removed and only put back on when I complained and others I have read have disappeared) I am not quite so confident of the site.

Buenos Aires has an excellent Trip Advisor Forum. Great place for advice. Also, I generally trust BA's hotel recommendations.

I hang in Buenos Aires pretty often. I have stayed in following hotels, some of which I enjoyed a lot more than others.

Alvear Art Hotel. 4.5 stars. I'd rate it a 10 on a 10 point scale. Fabulous hotel in the downtown area, bordering on Retiro and Recoleta. Highly recommended.

Plaza Hotel. 4 stars. Started its life as a ritzy hotel to house wealthy Europeans looking to invest in development in Argentina. Recently purchased by the Alvear family. Soon to be restored to its former glory. Service is good. The bar is wonderful. The restaurant turns out some fine steaks. Some of the rooms are worn. Downtown

Holiday Inn Express. 3 star. Another downtown hotel. Predictable Holiday Inn Express experience. Good place to stay if you take the ferry to Colonia..ferry terminal is within site.

Regal Pacific. 4 star. Relatively new. Decent hotel if you can find a bargain price. Views aren't very good to the street, which is narrow and congested. Rooms overlooking the courtyard/pool have a better view.

Claridge. 3 Star. An older hotel downtown. I did not enjoy it as much as those who commented earlier. Baths were teeny and my room had a worn look and feel to it. Noisey area....best to get a room facing the rear pool area.

Hotel Madero. 4 star in Puerto Madero, adjacent to downtown. Good place to stay if you are in town on business. Puerto Madero is a new neighborhood that lacks the charm of many of BA's neighborhoods.

Howard johnsons Florida Street. Once was enough.

All these hotels are downtown...there are a couple of other places I have visited but have not stayed there, but would if the price were right. Melia, on a pedestrian street downtown. Lots of restaurants nearby.

In Recoleta, one of BA's best neighborhoods and a favorite of expats from the US--

Art Suites. Two locations. Both are apart hotels that lack the services of a true hotel...but offer suites for the price of a room.

Howard Johnsons Recoleta. Good enough hotel, but rates have gone up. There are better hotels for the money in my opinion.

I have not stayed there, but the Sileo gets a lot of favorable comments. It is on my list.

Palermo Hollywood and Soho appeal to expats and draws a lot of younger, hip tourists who like the small, boutique hotels , chic designer stores as well as the fashionable restaurants and vibrant night life. I have only stayed in apartments in the area, so I can't comment on the hotels from personal experience. A couple of places draw favorable comments from Cruise Critic posters as well as on Trip Advisor.

Hope this helps get you started.

If you are interested in a Bed and Breakfast, we enjoyed our stay with Rachel at

jardindeltango@gmail.com

http://www.jardindeltango.com

We had a suite with two bedrooms and a study with an extra bed, also a kitchen, bathroom and living room for $80 per night. We were only two persons, but this would be great for a family.

Also, we could have rented one bedroom for $60 per night with shared bathroom.

Rachel was great in helping us with many things in BA.

The BandB is located very close to a metro stop.

I am still debating whether to go for a large hotel or a boutique hotel. The Melia looks good. Also saw a really good deal for the Panamericano..., any thoughts on this one location, safety etc.?

Also is it better to use a site such as expedia and pay and book up front or to book directly and pay with Argentinian money on arrival?

I am still debating whether to go for a large hotel or a boutique hotel. The Melia looks good. Also saw a really good deal for the Panamericano..., any thoughts on this one location, safety etc.?

Also is it better to use a site such as expedia and pay and book up front or to book directly and pay with Argentinian money on arrival?

If you book a B&B or small hotel, you may be able to negotiate a price in US$ and save.

If you book a B&B or small hotel, you may be able to negotiate a price in US$ and save.

You actually save money by paying in pesos rather than dollars by converting dollars to pesos at the unofficial or Blue rate. Hotels will convert your bill from dollars to pesos at the official rate as set by the government, which is much lower than the blue rate set by the market.

You actually save money by paying in pesos rather than dollars by converting dollars to pesos at the unofficial or Blue rate. Hotels will convert your bill from dollars to pesos at the official rate as set by the government, which is much lower than the blue rate set by the market.

Agree, but if you don't have much time in BA to find a Blue exchange, this might be an option.

The Pan Americano is located on 9 de Julio, the widest street in

Buenos Aires. It is located in the downtown area, but not in the most desirable area of downtown. The Melia is in a much nicer area.

I presented at a conference held at the Pan Americano. The meeting rooms are nice. I didn't stay there but those who did said there are two towers and rooms in the newer tower were nicer. Oh, and one of the best restaurants in town is located in the hotel. Tomo Uno was probably the first gourmet restaurant in Buenos Aires, serving classical Argentinian dishes with flair.

Thanks for all the suggestions and information. Booked the Intersur Recoleta after first choice Melia was not available for the dates I needed. I think the location is good and we booked a delux suite on top floor for less than a standard room at the Melia. reviews are very mixed at this hotel so hope the good reviews are right.

Thanks for all the suggestions and information. Booked the Intersur Recoleta after first choice Melia was not available for the dates I needed. I think the location is good and we booked a delux suite on top floor for less than a standard room at the Melia. reviews are very mixed at this hotel so hope the good reviews are right.

Reviews may be mixed but one thing is for sure---the location is one of the best in Buenos Aires. Callao is a busy street and can be noisy, so I'd request a high room or one facing the rear.

Also, unless you prepaid you can continue to watch for other options with more uniform positive reviews.

Argentina's elections are in October (2015) and if needed, runoffs in November. Expect to see some differences in their monetary system--it should be interesting.

we booked the dazzler hotel in the recola district, a block or 2 from the cemetery. its free to go in and usually someone will tell you where to find eva peron tomb. got a good deal on hotwire, very nice hotel and very nice staff.

Argentina's elections are in October (2015) and if needed, runoffs in November. Expect to see some differences in their monetary system--it should be interesting.

If whoever wins decides to let the peso float against the dollar, things could get real interesting. One thing is almost virtually certain, the legacy of corrupt government will carry on.

• 3 weeks later...
The Pan Americano is located on 9 de Julio, the widest street in

Buenos Aires. It is located in the downtown area, but not in the most desirable area of downtown. The Melia is in a much nicer area.

I presented at a conference held at the Pan Americano. The meeting rooms are nice. I didn't stay there but those who did said there are two towers and rooms in the newer tower were nicer. Oh, and one of the best restaurants in town is located in the hotel. Tomo Uno was probably the first gourmet restaurant in Buenos Aires, serving classical Argentinian dishes with flair.

There are two Melia hotels in BA. Which are you discussing here?

While I have already posted info about the hotel we used last February prior to a cruise, I just wanted to comment that in talking to other passengers on our cruise I found that everyone seemed to be happy with their BA hotel choice. There are certain cities which have a great number of good hotel options and BA seems to be one of them.

There are two Melia hotels in BA. Which are you discussing here?

The discussion here is about the Melia Buenos Aires on Reconquista street in the downtown area.

The Melia Recoleta Plaza is also a nice hotel in a more fashionable part of town than the downtown area.