Kids on Princess

dewla

We have done the Star Princess for Christmas 2002 and will be going on Caribbean Princess this August 2004. We have four children ages 9,11,13,and 15.. and they were 8,10,12, and 14 when we were on the Star Princess.

The kids liked the Princess Cruise kids program, even better than Carnival Cruises -- or at least equivilant.

I personally really enjoy Princess cruises.

Lisa

Caribbean Princess 08/21/2004

Carnival Ecstasy January 2004

Carnival Ecstasy April 2003

Star Princess (Mexican Riviera) Christmas 2002

Royal Caribbean January 2000

NCL Windstar(Alaska) August 1995

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dewla:

We have two children age 8 and 11. Did the Voyager and Disney cruises last two years. Does Princess have good children's programs?

THANKS!

Laura<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In a word, Yes. At least my kids, 9 & 13, enjoyed their programs on the Grand, March 21-28.

<font color="990066">

Spring Break was on the Grand Princess </font>

21, March 2004

<font color="FF6600">

Anyone want to go diving?</font>

So when is the next cruise?

If you email me I will send you an excellent site for the kids zone, Sue {suemiller87@aol.com}

7 Days on The Star Princess OCTOBER,24,2004

<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">

<param name="font" value="lcdb0">

<param name="year" value=2004>

<param name="month" value=10>

<param name="day" value=24>

<param name="hour" value=05>

</applet>

We have three children ages 12,9, and 6. Two years ago we took them on the Sea Princess and they loved it. They were disappointed when we had to leave. The programs run in the morning until lunch and then again in the afternoon . After dinner there is a program that runs until about 9-10pm.

We are going on the Sapphire Princess with them at Christmas time and they said "they can't wait".

I was impressed with the Childrens and Teens programs on Carnival. Princess' programs are every bit as good if not better because of the edutainment programs and extensive facilities.

Here's more:

http://www.lifeiscruising.com/bringing_the_kids

Happy Cruising

Chris

www.LifeIsCruising.com

Next up:

Caribbean Princess 06/04

Star Princess 10/04

Carnival Spirit 12/04

Well I have to say that after being on the Voyager class ships and the golden princess I prefer the Voyagers kids program. Though the staff were excellent on the Golden, the facalities were not up to the standered I have on royal Carribean, on the Voyager you had many options that you could have fun with besides the kids program (which was excellent). I would say there are many more places around the ship on the Voyager to have fun than there are golden. I do have to say though both cruises are excellent and you should not be dissapointed

We have been on Carnival Conquest, RCCL Explorer of the Seas and the Golden Princess last week with children that are today 8 and 11. Here is my opinion:

Princess does a great job with the children under 8 (they do a lot of board games and arts and crafts). Most parents with that age group were very happy. They do a great job with the teens (they have thier own deck and hot tub, thier own disco/meeting place and playstation area). My kids were not happy with the 8-12 year olds. You had to really go through the princess patters to see if there was anything that seemed fun. There was many times when we would drop them off and they did not do what was scheduled and just sat around. My 8 year olds friend fell asleep a couple of times in a chair he was so bored. She cried a couple of times that she wanted to leave. The kids area was so small compared to RCCL and Carnival. My 11 year old was only allowed to play on the Nitendo 64 while the teens Playstations went unused (right next to him). They acted very strict at times about check in and sign out (even called us one night at 10:30 because my husband forgot to initial in my 11 year olds slot - we had to get out of bed to go initial it). But 2 days later my two kids showed up at our door at 4:55 p.m (you had to pick them up at 5:00) because the girls said they were leaving. ???

On Carnival and RCCL my kids always begged to go to late night - they loved it when they went and would complain when we would pick them up at 12:00. Well at Princess late night they are grouped with the little ones and they have to lay down (and I mean had to) and watch a cartoon movie. No Nitendo.. no board games nothing. My kids refused to go and I did not blame them.

I do have to say my kids loved the freshwater pools!!!!!! That was a huge plus and made up for the bad kids program - they did miss the slides though.

I would highly recommed RCCL or Carnival for this age group. I personally liked my Princess cruises better then the other 2 but if the kids arn't happy no one is...

Beach People

Golden Princess April 2004

Carnival Conquest April 2003

Explorer of the Sea Apr./2001

Ocean Princess 2000

We went on Princess in Nov without our kids. Have booked Sept on Voyager (RCI) with the kids. While on Princess we checked out the kids clubs because we love Princess so much that we were considering going on it with the kids instead of RCI. But found what the above poster said. On the day we checked, there were only 3 kids in the 3-7 group - mostly doing what I'd consider "babysitting" activities (watching movies, coloring). There were NO kids that day in the 8-12 group (my boys will be 9, 11, and 12), which would mean for the whole cruise my boys would be together, and sometimes only with each other.

This probably would be quite different mid summer, as opposed to mid November. But since we're going mid-Sep which will be a low kid time, we're going with RCCL.

Days until Voyager of the Seas - 9/10/2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FFA000&cdt=2004;09;10;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Big Red Boat '88,

Fair Princess '90,

Norway '91,

Regal Princess '91,

Carnival Fantasy '93,

Regent Rainbow '95,

Big Red Boat '98,

Disney Wonder '00,

Grand Princess 11/16/03,

Voyager of the Seas 09/10/04

There were loads of 8-12 year olds on this cruise (spring break) but none of them wanted to go to the kids club and be babysat. Don't get me wrong there were some fun activities but you had to really search and we found ourselves at times making them go so we could go to the wine tastings.

I think Princess is by far the best between the 3 for adults with great service and food but for the kids RCCL and Carnival have them beat.

Beach People

Golden Princess April 2004

Carnival Conquest April 2003

Explorer of the Sea Apr./2001

Ocean Princess 2000

Yikes, I am now just a tinsy concerned after marciemi's comments re kids club - we will be sailing 11/27 on the diamond with a 4 & 7 year old who are really looking forward to meeting lots of kids - whilst we know it is out of term we thought there would be quite a few others given the size of the ship - does anyone else have experience with kids clubs late november travelling to mexico??

thanks

Jane

Jane - please don't regard me as an expert. This was just from a casual glance one day, and just what we saw around the ship. My concern was more for the older age group - I also talked to a mom on the ship with a 10 year old boy who went once, was the only kid, and tried one more time, again the only kid, and didn't go anymore. I know there were more in the 3-7 age - but still, I'd guess on our ship that there couldn't have been more than 50 kids total (12 & under range) so assuming they came at different times, some didn't want to go or their parents didn't want to send them, etc. We were on the Grand the week of Nov 16 so maybe post Thanksgiving you'll have more. We went on Disney the first week of Dec 2000 and there were over 900 kids on board (a whole different problem in itself!). Good luck!

Days until Voyager of the Seas - 9/10/2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FFA000&cdt=2004;09;10;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Big Red Boat '88,

Fair Princess '90,

Norway '91,

Regal Princess '91,

Carnival Fantasy '93,

Regent Rainbow '95,

Big Red Boat '98,

Disney Wonder '00,

Grand Princess 11/16/03,

Voyager of the Seas 09/10/04

Just got off the Caribbean Princess with a 9 year old. She loved the kids program and was there whenever the doors were open (sometimes waiting in the all until they opened icon_rolleyes.gif). We gave her sign in/out privileges after she proved she could find her way back to the room the first day. We also had the walkie talkies that came in handy.

We have also sailed Disney and DD enjoyed there programs too. The big difference I noticed was that the programs are not open during lunch and from 5-7 in the evening. They are also not open on port days except by appointment.

I would be happy to answer any other questions. I have the program for the week for that age group if you want examples of the activities.

Hi!

Thanks for sharing about the kids program! We have a 7yr. old and a 9yr.old. We are sailing the Caribbean in May. Any information you could provide would be great! What type of activities are there? My boys are into sports and don't care much for too many crafts.

Thanks again!

SC Minnie,

PLEASE post some sample activities for the 7-9 age group. I am concerned because my daughter will be almost 10 and don't want her to feel like she is taking a step "backwards" as she was in the 8-12 group last year. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

DD will be 10 in July so she was one of the oldest in her group too.

I am at work and don't have the list in front of me but from memory they had a variety of activities including basketball shooting contests, ping pong, Playstation, they had a Lucky night where they played games and won prizes. They had a treasure hunt and ice cream on the 2 sea days. I will post more when I get home.

I think it all depends on what time of year you cruise with your children, that will determine how many kids on in the kids programs. On the Alaska cruise in July , there were lots of kids of various ages in each of the programs. The kid's programs were lifesavers for us. I hope I am just as lucky when we cruise Sapphire at Christmas in Australia/New Zealand.

Did I just read that the Kids Program is only available by appointment during port days on the Caribbean Princess? This is a departure from the other Grand class ships, which offer full day Kids programs on port days. I assume this also comes with a fee? I saw on other posts that the Diamond also went to this appointment only on port days. My husband and I are planning to do the America's Cup race excursion at St. Martin and was assuming the Kids program would be complimentary.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by joycemunro:

Did I just read that the Kids Program is only available by appointment during port days on the Caribbean Princess? This is a departure from the other Grand class ships, which offer full day Kids programs on port days. I assume this also comes with a fee? I saw on other posts that the Diamond also went to this appointment only on port days. My husband and I are planning to do the America's Cup race excursion at St. Martin and was assuming the Kids program would be complimentary.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi - we're just off the Coral last week so I can't speak with respect to the Diamond but I assume it's the same and it may just be semantics that need clarification. On Port days, you have to let the Fun Zone personel know, IN ADVANCE, if you're child will be attending so they can properly staff you're childs age group and schedule their breaks throughout the day. Perhaps that is what they mean by appointment only. There is no charge for port days - just let them know that you're child will be there so they can provide adequate coverage.

I just want to take this opportunity to praise the Fun Zone staff on the Coral. They were really the very best. My kids had a great time while they were there. On one port day, there were a VERY late excursion getting back to the ship (they didn't get back until 8 pm -- something like 12 hours after departure!!). I happened by at about 5:30 and there was 1 little girl who's parents were delayed on the excursion. She was just being fussed over and cared for like there were no tomorrow.

QE2 - 2000

Grand Princess - 2002

Coral Princess - 2004

(hope this isn't a duplicate my response 'disappeared')Trust me epanic1 it is Australia's summer school hols and I am certain that it will be full to the rafters with kids that and the fact the cruise was sold out several weeks ago!

Jane

Just off the Coral Princess yesterday. My kids liked the 8-12 yr. old kids' program, but not the teens program.

Princess' teens program is much better than RCI's, but there were so many kids on our sailing that my son didn't feel comfortable in a large crowd so he didn't participate. The activities for the teens center around dancing, singing and stuff he's not "into". icon_wink.gif Regardless of that, the Princess kids' program is really good, IMO.

--------------------------

'04 Navigator of the Seas

'04 Monarch of the Seas

'04 Coral Princess

'03 Monarch of the Seas

'02 Adventure of the Seas

'02 Ecstasy

'01 Radiance of the Seas

'01 Grand Princess

'01 Viking Serenade

'00 Grand Princess

'99 Viking Serenade