Flip Flops on the Breakaway?

taytaysmom1019

I assume common sense prevails but the reason for dress codes is that common sense doesnt always prevail.

At work, there is a no tank top rule for both genders. But women routinely wear nice "tank" tops.

I think we all know what they mean by flip flops. Those cheap annoying slip ons. Nice sandals that happen to not have a heel strap are fine.

As an aside, I wore only sandals on my cruise last year (in the MDR also). Though I realised I should have brought my cheap flip flops for pool use as my sandals were not comfy once wet.

To be honest, unless someone is dressed rather egregiously or is particularly attractive, I would not notice what they were wearing anyway.

Hey, you don't have to look good, you just need to be stylish!:).

Recently in a resort area, I saw an elderly man dressed very nicely in a sweater, slacks and nice laced dress shoes. Then I noticed that he had no socks on. I'm hoping that he was just forgetful and that this is not a new trend for men.:)

Greetings

Einstien never wore socks, said they were redundant if one was wearing shoes. And it is a modern fashion trend (who knew I was a trendsetter all these years).

Good Sailing

Tom

Greetings

Einstien never wore socks, said they were redundant if one was wearing shoes. And it is a modern fashion trend (who knew I was a trendsetter all these years).

Good Sailing

Tom

It stopped being a fashion trend once Miami Vice went off the air twenty five years ago. :D

As someone who has cruised NCL several times and always eats in the MDR, I can tell you that sandals that go have a strap between the first two toes are acceptable. I have a leather pair and have several Teva brand pairs that have a woven strap (either a flatsole or slightly raised wedge heel) and none have ever caused an eyebrow to raise by the hostess on duty.

As a matter of fact, I have wore the leather pair on cruise lines with a strict formal night dress code and they have past muster with the entry door police.

I have worn leather ones with embellishments and a bit of a heel to both MDR and specialty restaurants without any problem. Can't say that will always be the case and I have other shoes (not as nice) in the cabin just in case. But generally if you are dressed nicely it does not seem to be a problem. Of course, I have not been on the Breakaway.....

Edited by drvalo

As someone who has cruised NCL several times and always eats in the MDR, I can tell you that sandals that go have a strap between the first two toes are acceptable. I have a leather pair and have several Teva brand pairs that have a woven strap (either a flatsole or slightly raised wedge heel) and none have ever caused an eyebrow to raise by the hostess on duty.

As a matter of fact, I have wore the leather pair on cruise lines with a strict formal night dress code and they have past muster with the entry door police.

Ditto. I don't even think I even have any dressy shoes that that do not have a strap between the toes. Have never been challenged at MDR or any specialty either.

And to the person who said that the Specialties are more stringent?:confused:. Except for Le Bistro, even shorts are allowed in all other specialties such as Cagney's and Moderno. So I don't know why the hostess would care if I wore dressy sandals with a strap between my toes.

If I were a woman wanting to know what was appropriate dress for a woman, I would not take advice from most men posters here. As another man posted here, many men have the fashion sense of a peanut when it comes to what women wear.

There are no problems with ff in main ding rooms but they are NOT allowing in specility restaurants. Any thing that is open front and back or has the tab between toes is not acceptable. Known from personal experience of wearing Banana Republic leather flip flop style. As for how strict is all depends on the hostess and how intune she is to the rule.

We only eat in specialty restaurants and have been caught numerous times out of many cruises.

Are you referring to males or females? I have worn dressy "flip-flops" for lack of a better term, in all restaurants without incident.

If I were a woman wanting to know what was appropriate dress for a woman, I would not take advice from most men posters here. As another man posted here, many men have the fashion sense of a peanut when it comes to what women wear.

Lets face it. Most men like heels. The higher the better! LOL

If a women was wearing high heeled flip flops men would be as happy as if the women was wearing high heeled pumps! LOL

Harriet

Lol...my feet are pretty and they don't smell, but thank u for responding :) So sounds like a leather or metallic, fancier flip-flop would be fine with a dress. I wouldn't wear a basic rubber Old Navy-like flop to dinner. But most of my dressier shoes are in the flip-flop form so that's what I'm packing. Thanks all [emoji1] 5 days to go!!!
On one of my cruises, I broke my toe a couple days before I left, and had to wear flip flops the whole cruise, as they were the only shoe that didn't hurt to wear. I went to the MDR and specialty restaurants and no one said a word. They were bejeweled flip flops.

I've just been on the gem and had a pair of sparky jewel encrusted ones with wedge heels and they were fine in the dining room

What they mean are the type you wear to the pool are not allowed - like you say the rubber soled type like old navy sell