Blu or MDR

beryl patricia

Hi we have just received our room allocation on celebrity eclipse for their 2 night cruise in a couple of weeks - Aqua class (there must be a catch :D )

I don't want to seem like I am grumbling (honestly I'm not) - but I have looked at the menu for Blu and it's not really to my taste - I know there are always lots of other dining options but would we be able to use the MDR for freedom dining or do we HAVE to use Blu.

Thanks for any info

Gill

It's most likely that you can eat in the MDR...just check with the Blu Maitre d' first. However, I think you'll find that once you try blu and compare it to the MDR, you'll prefer blu. For one thing, if the dish you're served in the MDR matches the menu description, it's just a luck. I have found menu items in the MDR that sounded wonderful but in reality were, let's be kind, so so. The atmosphere/noise level/service is very different in blu...it's much quieter...you can actually talk in a normal voice. Your food comes to you hot. I could go on.

Don't be dissuaded by the menu....or some comments you see here....try it yourself. In my mind, you lucked out....oh, and don't forget that blu serves a great sit down full service breakfast so you don't have fight the hordes, search for a table and then eat luke warm food in the buffet.

Have a great cruise....and enjoy Blu

Edited by ghstudio

We have just disembarked Constellation and were disappointed with Blu so used the MDR most nights and oceanview on nights we couldn't be bothered to change to 'smart casual. I have to say the food was really good in the MDR and Oceanview provided lots of choices evening time.

Hi we have just received our room allocation on celebrity eclipse for their 2 night cruise in a couple of weeks - Aqua class (there must be a catch :D )

I don't want to seem like I am grumbling (honestly I'm not) - but I have looked at the menu for Blu and it's not really to my taste - I know there are always lots of other dining options but would we be able to use the MDR for freedom dining or do we HAVE to use Blu.

Thanks for any info

Gill

You can eat in MDR (select dining) but I would not do it since Blu is better and quiet (on our liking) and if you like any dish from MDR you can ask waiter. Usually our request was accomodated.

We loved BLU. Many times the had what appeared to be the same dish as in the MDR (we were B2B on Infinity in the MDR prior to BLU the next week) except that the BLU food was prepared better. Also, it appeared to be healthier.

• 1 month later...

Food is so subjective. What may appeal to on will not another. Having experienced Blu and the MDR, I will say this. Blue will indeed be quieter and obviously is less crowded. As for the food in Blue, we were not all that impressed with it. We found the food in the MDR to be more to our liking and just as good if not better.

I have to say that the first time I sat in Blu and read the menu I was underwhelmed and the descriptions didn't seem to be very helpful.

What they delivered was so much better and not as strange or fussy sounding. We love Blu.

Thanks for any info

Gill

Been there, done both. We prefer Blu by a landslide. Many others prefer Blu so much that they spend $$$$ more just to dine there.

Been there' date=' done both. We prefer Blu by a landslide. Many others prefer Blu so much that they spend $$$$ more just to dine there.[/quote']

Only reason we sail Celebrity is for BLU.....each their own....

My husband is one of the pickiest eaters known to man, no seafood, mushrooms, most veg,not to spicy etc.... he loved Blu and we booked A Q for our next cruise. He said can't wait to have a great meal in Blu again. He also loves breakfast there and won't miss a morning there the whole cruise.

Before my first Aqua cruise I checked the Blu menus and was a little worried. Most of the menu items looked like things I wouldn't like. However I was informed that the every-day options of chicken, steak and fish were a good alternative so I wasn't too bothered.

In the end I found that it usually didn't matter what I ordered because almost everything was delicious, despite the way it looked on the menu. In all the Blu meals I have had I can't think of more than one or two which I really didn't like and I am a fairly fussy eater.

The ambiance and service in Blu are both a step above the MDR, so please give it a shot. If the menu doesn't appeal to you, speak to your waiter and see if he can work something out. The always available menu has the basics with onion soup, caesar salad, steak or chicken or salmon -- see if they can customize something without too many changes that you will enjoy. It's not just the menu that makes Blu desirable, it's the total package.

We have only been in Aqua once, when we got a free upgrade.

Loved BLU. We found the food to be healther and taste a little better than that in the MDR.

We were told that if we wanted something from the MDR menu that we could order it at BLU. That was two years ago, not sure that is still true.

Also, the breakfast museli that the waiter makes at your table is fantastic.

Have the menus in Blu changed since 2010 ? We will dine there next month. Our last few cruises the menus have been the same.

In my opinion, the menus have changed little over the years in Blu. What is interesting is that a dish like Hawaiian Salmon is prepared differently depending on the chef on duty. Different sauces over the salmon.

You can eat in MDR (select dining) but I would not do it since Blu is better and quiet (on our liking) and if you like any dish from MDR you can ask waiter. Usually our request was accomodated.

I asked for this on the Millie and was told no. We knew folks who chose to go to the MDR due to the Blu menu. We stuck with Blu and were glad we did. The more quiet, less crowded atmosphere, and superb service made up for the menu choices. The menu does need some revision as many cruisers do not care for lamb and duck....at least not DH and me. We only ate at Blu twice for breakfast as it didn't open until 7:30 and we are early birds who like a quick breakfast. When we did it was very good, just more time than we allot to breakfast.