NCL Dawn Daily Gratuity Fee & Other Questions

Relax Cruiser

1. I read that there is a Daily Gratuity Fee for NCL Dawn (& other cruises). How much is it, and is it per person or per room?

2. Is room service free? Or is there a charge for it?

3. Are there tea making facilities in the room? I have a habit of drinking tea in the mornings and was wanting to know if I should take a travel kettle to boil water?

Thank you.

1. I read that there is a Daily Gratuity Fee for NCL Dawn (& other cruises). How much is it, and is it per person or per room?

2. Is room service free? Or is there a charge for it?

3. Are there tea making facilities in the room? I have a habit of drinking tea in the mornings and was wanting to know if I should take a travel kettle to boil water?

Thank you.

$12.95 per person 3 years and older or $14.95 3 years or older if in a Suite/Haven

Room service is $7.95 per order after 10 a.m. or if you order anything more than a Continental breakfast. Rumor has it this will be fleet wide May, however, it is now on the Breakaway and Getaway. Also there is an 18% gratuity added, I believe. If you are in a suite/Haven there is no charge as your Butler will get this for you, in which at the end of the trip you tip him/her.

Most cabins have a coffee pot, if you're in an inside and it does not, ask for one and maybe they'll bring one to you. You can use the coffee pot to make hot water and ask the steward for tea bags or bring your own.

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari

$12.95 per person 3 years and older or $14.95 3 years or older if in a Suite/Haven

Room service is $7.95 per order after 10 a.m. or if you order anything more than a Continental breakfast. Rumor has it this will be fleet wide May, however, it is now on the Breakaway and Getaway. Also there is an 18% gratuity added, I believe. If you are in a suite/Haven there is no charge as your Butler will get this for you, in which at the end of the trip you tip him/her.

1. I thought the daily gratuity was per room (as in US Hotels):eek::rolleyes: that'll come to about $182 for entire cruise correct?

2. So this means we can order anything as long as it's before 10am, correct (and we won't be charged)? Tea/coffee breakfast etc? I was thinking of booking a shore excursion at 8:15am and wanted to order room service.

1. I thought the daily gratuity was per room (as in US Hotels):eek::rolleyes: that'll come to about $182 for entire cruise correct?

2. So this means we can order anything as long as it's before 10am, correct (and we won't be charged)? Tea/coffee breakfast etc? I was thinking of booking a shore excursion at 8:15am and wanted to order room service.

I don't know how long your cruise is or how many people over the age of 3 are in your cabin but that charge is per person.....per day.

No charge before 10 a.m. is basically coffee, danish, etc. If you wan eggs, breakfast meats, etc. there will be the service charge plus the 18% gratuity.

Harriet

• 2 months later...

I am getting the drink package for three of us and paying gratuity on that. The $12.95 a day per person as I understand it is not mandatory. Wouldn't that be double tipping? Does anyone know if it is mandatory?

The tipping has gone up, here's the statement from NCL's web page

What about Tipping?

Guests should not feel obliged to offer a gratuity for good service. However, all of our staff are encouraged to "go the extra mile", and so they are permitted to accept cash gratuities entirely at the discretion of our guests who wish to acknowledge particular staff members for exceptional or outstanding service. In other words, there is genuinely no need to tip but you should feel free to do so if you have a desire to acknowledge particular individuals.

You can remove and or adjust your tips at YOUR descretion. If you do remove them use cash to tip at all three meals in the dining room and don't forget your cabin steward. They prefer cash and you're not tipping the "behind the scenes crew and donating to NCL coffers for their incentive programs and retirement funds.

Edited by cruzsnooze

I am getting the drink package for three of us and paying gratuity on that. The $12.95 a day per person as I understand it is not mandatory. Wouldn't that be double tipping? Does anyone know if it is mandatory?

The bartenders who you are paying gratuity for getting your drinks are NOT a part of the DSC, which is the $12.95 pp, pd.

Harriet