Best Holland America ship for kids?

Just out of curiosity, what was it about your cruises on HAL ships that convinced you to "never consider" and "never take" your grandchildren on a HAL cruise?

Rod

I suppose it is like someone telling you that senior people should NEVER cruise Royal Caribbean or Carnival. Never. One more time. NEVER. No need to give a reason. Just never.

I suppose it is like someone telling you that senior people should NEVER cruise Royal Caribbean or Carnival. Never. One more time. NEVER. No need to give a reason. Just never.

... unless the persons telling me that were (1) "senior people", and (2) had sailed on both Royal Caribbean and Carnival, I would give no credence to their advice!

Rod

It was on the Zuiderdam, either the year it was launched or the next year. I think it was 2003. Western Caribbean from Fort Lauderdale. We were lured aboard by a TA who sold us on the idea that this "new" class of HAL ships were to be more family friendly and meant to attract younger passengers.

12 years ago..... :D

I knew it had to be very old news.

I'm sure some kids enjoy HAL ships, but we would never consider it. We have grandchildren, ages 6-23, just normal very well-behaved kids who like things to do and we would never take them on a HAL cruise.

And I suppose we are abnormal parents with abnormal very mis-behaved kids who don't like things to do and we take them on a HAL cruise and they like HAL .... but ironically we also like other lines. I guess this makes us very abnormal, according to your "logic". :rolleyes:

It was on the Zuiderdam, either the year it was launched or the next year. I think it was 2003. Western Caribbean from Fort Lauderdale. We were lured aboard by a TA who sold us on the idea that this "new" class of HAL ships were to be more family friendly and meant to attract younger passengers.

In the 12 years since your experience, so much has changed and among those things are the number of young families now cruising in comparison to then. We sailed Zuiderdam 5 or 6 cruises her first two years in the fleet. When I compare the passenger mix then to now for same itineraries (though, of course, not summer months but nevertheless her sister ships), it is remarkable how many more young families with children we see now vs then.

Only one of the many differences in 'today's world'.

In the 12 years since your experience, so much has changed and among those things are the number of young families now cruising in comparison to then. We sailed Zuiderdam 5 or 6 cruises her first two years in the fleet. When I compare the passenger mix then to now for same itineraries (though, of course, not summer months but nevertheless her sister ships), it is remarkable how many more young families with children we see now vs then.

Right you are, Sail... but I do think you're fighting a losing battle here ... as the old saying goes, "Don't confuse me with facts - my mind's already made up!"

Smooth sailing,

Rod

I think that's what my DW said to her mother many years ago when we told her we were getting married lol :D

... makes me wonder if our wives are blood kin, as that is exactly what my DW said to her mother some 53 years ago ... LOL

Rod

I have cruised HAL solo since then, of course. I haven't seen anything on those cruises that would lead me to consider a HAL cruise for DS again (now just about to graduate college). We really enjoyed our Celebrity cruise last New Year's and I'd probably consider that line our top choice for a cruise with him that wasn't heavily destination oriented.

We really enjoyed our Celebrity cruise last New Year's and I'd probably consider that line our top choice for a cruise with him that wasn't heavily destination oriented.

We've sailed Carnival, Princess, NCL, Disney, RCI, Celebrity, and HAL with our "kids," one of whom is just about the age of your son and the other a teenager.

I agree with your assessment but look at it from the other perspective, i.e., choosing HAL specifically for its destinations. We sailed twice on HAL's 14 day, port-intensive Alaska itinerary and once on an 11 day itinerary Dover-Barcelona with 8 port days. This summer we're planning a 12 day HAL cruise with one sea day. All of these cruises have interesting, unique, and port-intensive itineraries. As seasoned cruisers, our "kids" can distinguish one itinerary from the next and feel very comfortable on HAL. Furthermore, they both agree that, for some reason, their best cruise friendships have arisen on the HAL ships.

That said, I doubt they would come with us on HAL in the Caribbean, where we find the islands to be rather dull, nor would we ever consider even suggesting to them something like a transatlantic cruise on HAL. I think we'll save that one for a RCI megaship!

And I suppose we are abnormal parents with abnormal very mis-behaved kids who don't like things to do and we take them on a HAL cruise and they like HAL .... but ironically we also like other lines. I guess this makes us very abnormal, according to your "logic". :rolleyes:

That's not what I was saying at all. Sorry you misinterpreted my post

Just out of curiosity, what was it about your cruises on HAL ships that convinced you to "never consider" and "never take" your grandchildren on a HAL cruise?

Rod

After being on many many HAL cruises I know the teens especially would be bored to death. The younger ones probably would enjoy Club HAL, but going as a family the pre-teens/teens would be much happier on a line with more to offer their age group. I'm certainly not the only one with that opinion and HAL's reputation as a more adult and sedate cruise line didn't begin with me.

I'm sure some kids enjoy HAL ships, but we would never consider it. We have grandchildren, ages 6-23, just normal very well-behaved kids who like things to do and we would never take them on a HAL cruise.

After being on many many HAL cruises I know the teens especially would be bored to death. The younger ones probably would enjoy Club HAL, but going as a family the pre-teens/teens would be much happier on a line with more to offer their age group. I'm certainly not the only one with that opinion and HAL's reputation as a more adult and sedate cruise line didn't begin with me.

... all very interesting but totally off point, as this thread asks for opinions of the best HAL cruise for kids not whether you would recommend any HAL cruise for kids ...

Rod

Threads do deviate away from the original thought. It's too bad that these thoughts get such a negative reaction.

I agree and have no idea why Peaches reaced so negatively to OP's question ... oh well, to each his/her own ...

Rod

The point of my post was completely missed. Who better than the grandparents or parents would know which line would be best for them? If someone is critical of hal, Princess, celebrity, RC or any other line I'm not sure why posters feel the need to defend the line like they are married or gave birth to it.

Edited by cruz chic

Hi there--

We've cruised on HAL ships a good bit and MOST of them have kids/teens program of some sort. The one exception--with no programs for children--is the Prinsendam. It's pretty small (900 pax) and we found a good portion of the passengers were international, on legs of a grand/world cruise.

The first time we cruised her, Dec. in the Caribbean, we saw NO kids. Odd, because it was winter break when many families cruise there... We expect the same this time because it will be in mid-Sept--when schools are in session.

But all our other HAL cruises on other ships were kid-friendly--and seemed to have the most well-behaved ones, compared to other cruise lines. That says something about the parents who choose HAL too!

As to which ship, you might look at the fleet's deck plans for each class. Note how much space (often top deck) is devoted to kids clubs. That may give you a clue. Then drill down in the ship class.

Speaking only for my family (of course) I am baffled by all the negative thoughts on Club Hal and The Loft. We just finished a 20 day repositioning cruise with 2 children ages 10 and 13. They both love Club Hal. There is a daily activity sheet delivered to the cabin each night for the next day. Activities are varied and interesting. My two always wanted to be in the program. But children have to be engaged and not "entertain me" types.

We have tried Princess (a total disaster) as they only open their children's program when there are 25 children on board. They do not have dedicated children's club staff. Our daughter liked Disney for 1.5 days and then didn't want to go. Their pre teen area was modelled after a basement and it scared her as it was dark and dingy. Our son just spent way too much time on the computers. We will never do another Disney cruise.

When I researched Celebrity they were charging $3 per child per hour for some of their children's activities. Not an option for us.

We have taken 3 HAL cruises starting when our children were 7 and 10. They love club Hal. The staff are all interested in children's education, they are engaged and activities are varied and change every day. We chose HAL because of Club HAL and we have no regrets.

I just wish some of the adults behaved as well as the children.

sofietucker & 1of4,

Thanks for getting this Thread back on track and for your informed, thoughtful responses to OP's question. As a father of 3 and grandfather of 2, I have always looked for vacation opportunities that are not only entertaining but educational as well. IMO OP was asking for opinions as to which HAL ships would best serve his/her needs rather than a non-specific and categorical rejection of all HAL ships. Unfortunately some posters apparently are more interested in seeing their rants on here than in being responsive and helpful. So for what it's worth, thanks for your thoughtful responses.

Smooth sailing,

Rod

I have to say HAL is my children's favorite line. We have been on RCI, Princess and Carnival as well and if given the option they will both pick HAL every time. DS loves to spend his time in kids club from the moment it opens till he must leave. DD picks and chooses when she wants to go.

I really think each family is different on which line that they prefer. Which is why each line is a little different from the rest.

My personal opinion is to at least try HAL once. You never know your kids could end up loving it.

Great question. We just took our 9 year old son on a Disney Cruise so our HAL cruise to Alaska in August will be a big change (multigenerational family trip). I'm hoping there will be other kids for him to meet and hang out with on the ship. Anyone else cruising with kids on the Seattle to Seattle leaving August 8th?

Great question. We just took our 9 year old son on a Disney Cruise so our HAL cruise to Alaska in August will be a big change (multigenerational family trip). I'm hoping there will be other kids for him to meet and hang out with on the ship. Anyone else cruising with kids on the Seattle to Seattle leaving August 8th?

You'll get more (and better) responses if you post this question on the appropriate Roll Call for your cruise.

Rod