Room Service Charge Now Fleetwide, New Restaurant Pricing Onboard Norwegian Cruise LI

LauraS

I'm quoting myself because I can't edit my post...sorry....Just remember, if you are scheduled for an NCL cruise and can cancel...NCL implemented this change with no notice at all, and no grandfathering! They can implement other changes after your cancellation period expires. Do you want to wait until they do something like this to you? You have lots of choices of cruse lines! Take them now! And if you change to another cruise line you'll not only be helping yourself, you'll also maybe make NCL rethink this policy, which will possibly help fellow cruisers who can't cancel.

You need to get over your pity party. Go to another cruise line and gripe which you probably already do. All cruise lines change things all the time without notices and people have to deal with it constantly. You are complaining about a 7.95 service charge for room service for an expanded menu that was never offered before. You can still have your continental breakfast for free which has always been the case and they did not change that. if you want to cancel your cruise over a few dollars because of an 18% service fee the go ahead. I would rather not be on cruise with a grumpy person who complains about everything.. You are probably one of the ones that make people wait in line at the customer service desk waiting to be helped because you will probably be spending half your cruise complaining about very petty details you don't like. I am going to NOT CANCEL MY CRUISE BECAUSE I AM GOING TO HAVE A BLAST!

You need to get over your pity party. Go to another cruise line and gripe which you probably already do.

There are a lot of people upset about the changes. TATraveler has been more vocal, but I think he is simply trying to stand up to the BS. Fleet-wide changes prior to our cruise on Thur is a bit much. W/E. A lot of this for us traveling next week is not only shocking, but since so many of the things are not confirmed are even more disappointing. W/E.

To each his own. There are a lot of things changing for NCL and people deal differently. Please be respectful.

TATraveler, my name is Dustin, I'm on your cruise and will be at the CC Meet and Greet. Happy to talk over a beer. Foremost, enjoy the cruise. Alaska is beautiful. The cruise is just a part of the adventure. See you soon.

Honestly, I hope people cancel enmass. This is a small charge, but a huge precedent they're setting. It means you can't count on them to keep their end of the bargain and you have no recourse. I'll be writing my attorney general and ask if there's any recourse for me.

Wish I could cancel. It's too late. But I definitely won't use them again.

I've called and can canceled my upcoming cruise. When I booked it was with the understanding room service was included in my cruise contract. I asked if they were reducing the fare to compensate for the reduced service and of course not. They also sent an email yesterday that the time spent in 2 of the ports will be reduced. I feel cheated. Not a good way to conduct business!

Marketing research has shown for years that that .05 cents makes a huge difference - also why many things are priced at .99. Certainly not true for everyone, but it's proven true time and time again.
Tell that to the Dollar Tree store chain. They are raking it in.

You need to get over your pity party. Go to another cruise line and gripe which you probably already do. All cruise lines change things all the time without notices and people have to deal with it constantly. You are complaining about a 7.95 service charge for room service for an expanded menu that was never offered before. You can still have your continental breakfast for free which has always been the case and they did not change that. if you want to cancel your cruise over a few dollars because of an 18% service fee the go ahead. I would rather not be on cruise with a grumpy person who complains about everything.. You are probably one of the ones that make people wait in line at the customer service desk waiting to be helped because you will probably be spending half your cruise complaining about very petty details you don't like. I am going to NOT CANCEL MY CRUISE BECAUSE I AM GOING TO HAVE A BLAST!

Seriously, I would press the like button if there was one. Yes things have changed a little but the constant complaints are beginning to wear thin. I consider myself lucky to be able to go on a cruise and don't mind paying a bit extra. Talk about a "first world" problem, count your blessings that you don't live in Nepal.

Edited by PoofCat99

Seriously, I would press the like button if there was one. Yes things have changed a little but the constant complaints are beginning to wear thin. I consider myself lucky to be able to go on a cruise and don't mind paying a bit extra. Talk about a "first world" problem, count your blessings that you don't live in Nepal.

Where's the dislike button? Seriously, bringing an incident like Nepal into the equation.

Back to the issue. If everybody just accepts change like sheep, eventually you will have a watered down product, which will make cruising far less attractive a proposition.

Talk to the refugees who pay thousands for a spot on a cattle ship to be set adrift with no crew and the hope they make it to Europe. I hope I stayed within bounds of my point being cruise related. All I'm saying is have a little perspective. I leave for my cruise in a week & I intend to have a wonderful time.

Edited by PoofCat99

Talk to the refugees who pay thousands for a spot on a cattle ship to be set adrift with no crew and the hope they make it to Europe. I hope I stayed within bounds of my point being cruise related. All I'm saying is have a little perspective. I leave for my cruise in a week & I intend to have a wonderful time.

I do take your point, but were not exactly cancelling cruises to send the money to relief funds. So rather than counting blessings I'd rather fight to keep the best perks in cruising, before we sit back and allow them all to disappear.

Have a great cruise btw.

cheers. i was just gonna ask if anyone had the new menu when i saw this :)

Make sure you enlarge it and read the fine print at the bottom. It explains some of the costs in regard to the 18% gratuity fee and the $7.95 service charge fee.

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari

Remember when your Mom tried to get you to eat your Brussels Sprouts by telling you about all the starving kids in China? Did it work? I think not. So your argument doesn't work here either. That same logic could be applied to every single situation that comes up in your life. All it does is cause people to do and say nothing lest someone accuse them of being ungreatful. Be greatful, yes. But we also are required as adults to voice our opinions and protest when we feel something is wrong.

And by all means DO have a wonderful cruise. I intend to as well, but in the meantime I will state my opinions here because that is the purpose of this board, to share information and discuss it.

Edited by punkincc

If I have the UBP and order a drink from room service, is the fee waived?

Well, the UBP terms exclude room service, so you would be paying for a drink served in your room ( unless your are in a suite ), and it sounds like you would pay the cost of the drink plus 18%, but not the $7.95.

Thank you for the well wishes. I agree that the changes were communicated poorly. NCL has to work on that, but they are allowed to per the contract. I believe a calm, unemotional letter copied to your Congressional representatve (or other similar person for those outside the US) would go farther than posting the same 100 words over & over here. As for Brussels sprouts I like them however my dad had another tatic for bad table manners. Once I was throwing food on the floor (to the dog?) He put newspaper down in the kitchen & picked me up chair and all & put me down in the new spot. I don't think they ever tried the "starving kids" routine as they already knew it never works.

Edited by PoofCat99

Thank you for the well wishes. I agree that the changes were communicated poorly. NCL has to work on that, but they are allowed to per the contract. I believe a calm, unemotional letter copied to your Congressional representatve (or other similar person for those outside the US) would go farther than posting the same 100 words over & over here.

I don't know contract law and how it applies to Cruise Lines who are registered in foriegn countries. It may be within their rights to advertise things like free UDP for everyone in the cabin in order to entice you to book, and then after final payment date when it is too late to cancel, change their minds and tell you, actually, it will be full price for the kids, only Mom and Dad get the "free" package. That just doesn't sit well with me. It sounds very much like bait and switch.

After the uproar here about having to pay $7.95 for a morning coffee, NCL backed off that plan and excluded it from the service charge. Some say it had nothing to do with the backlash, but I think it did. It never hurts to let a company know when you feel strongly about something pro or con. But if someone wants to start a class action and knows how to proceed, more power to them!

Where's the dislike button? Seriously, bringing an incident like Nepal into the equation.

Back to the issue. If everybody just accepts change like sheep, eventually you will have a watered down product, which will make cruising far less attractive a proposition.

Agreed. People crack me up when they pull that crap. :rolleyes:

I don't know contract law and how it applies to Cruise Lines who are registered in foriegn countries. It may be within their rights to advertise things like free UDP for everyone in the cabin in order to entice you to book, and then after final payment date when it is too late to cancel, change their minds and tell you, actually, it will be full price for the kids, only Mom and Dad get the "free" package. That just doesn't sit well with me. It sounds very much like bait and switch.

After the uproar here about having to pay $7.95 for a morning coffee, NCL backed off that plan and excluded it from the service charge. Some say it had nothing to do with the backlash, but I think it did. It never hurts to let a company know when you feel strongly about something pro or con. But if someone wants to start a class action and knows how to proceed, more power to them!

Bookings through NCL (UK) Ltd are specifically stated as being subject to English Law.

I agree that the uproar on CC/FB etc. about morning coffee deliveries being charged, probably did make NCL backtrack on that one. I also suspect that when the lawyers read up on English Law (and probably European Law as well), they realised that they had dropped a mahoosive clanger and were in danger of criminal proceedings under the various consumer protection laws we have over here.:eek:

I give up. You all carry on. I will no longer offer my opinion.

Nevermind this detractor. You have your right to your opinion as she the right to hers.

Some people get their teeth into a bone and will not let go until they "shout down" those that disagree with them.

However, this THREAD is about room service charge and restaurant pricing.

Your reply above is about neither.

Harriet

Can someone tell me what exactly does the complimentary continental breakfast include?

We are thinking of booking an 8:15 excursion and want to have a quick breakfast in room while getting ready.

Will it be just cereals and fruits or will any hot items be available?