Anchorage to Seward Drive

magnolia11

Hi, will be arriving Anchorage first part of Aug. have heard the drive to Seward is a must see, cannot make train departure time and tours are very expensive. Our day there will be 7am to 11pm. Have some questions I hope you all can help me with.... Would renting a car and driving be an option? Is it worthwhile to go all the way to Seward? or would a shorter trip be good? I am just not sure how to arrange this, thanks in advance for your input, Magnolia

with a time frame of 7am - 11pm, are you saying that you want to do a day trip to Seward ?

If so, I wouldn't do it not unless I was overnighting there and could enjoy sights IN seward. It's 125 miles each way, and a minimum of 2 1/2 hrs each way. I've made the drive several times and yes, it's lovely, but the prettiest section is the first part, along the Turnagain Arm, which is within 50 miles of Anchorage.

So please clarify if this is a day trip.

For the best bang for your buck, I wouldn't go all the way to Seward. I'm guessing you are doing the longer cruise that has a port day in Anchorage.

I would definitely rent a car. Make your reservations very soon. Prices are going up and availability are going down.

I would go as far as Whittier and a do a Prince William Sound glacier cruise. Or at least to Portage Lake and do the 1 hour Portage Glacier cruise. I would also stop at the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center and probably do the tram at Alyeska Resort.

This link provides suggested stopping points along the Turnagain Arm.

ie Potters Marsh for birdwatching and the occasional moose at the end of the boardwalk; the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center has orphaned rescued moose, bear, bison, caribou, musk ox; or pan for gold; take the 1 hr glacier cruise at Portage Lake and check out the visitor center; ride the tram at Alyeska Resort; hiking.

http://www.alaska.org/guide/turnagain-arm-drive

Additional info:

http://www.alaska.org/guide/portage-valley

Hi, will be arriving Anchorage first part of Aug. have heard the drive to Seward is a must see, cannot make train departure time and tours are very expensive. Our day there will be 7am to 11pm. Have some questions I hope you all can help me with.... Would renting a car and driving be an option? Is it worthwhile to go all the way to Seward? or would a shorter trip be good? I am just not sure how to arrange this, thanks in advance for your input, Magnolia

Take a look

Anchorage to Seward (Seward Highway) Guide

and decide for yourself how much you would want to see.

(It has a link to request a copy of the Alaska travel planner, if you don't already have it.)

You could also drive down to Whittier and take one of the glacier excursions there with plenty of time to get back to Anchorage. But those are expensive too.

Thanks to all, this is exactly what I wanted to know... It would be a day trip so I think we will look at doing just a portion of the drive based on the guide I have and recommendations here, thanks again, Magnolia:)