Tom Knowles Coastal Trail Anchorage -- specific questions

CowPrincess

Had planned on the 26 Glacier cruise while in Anchorage, but we were concerned about the length of it (9 hours). Got a notice yesterday that it is not 9 hours, it is 10.5 hours :eek:

We are looking for alternative things to do. Looks like walking some of the Tom Knowles Coastal Trail is a good candidate.

So here are some of my questions:

1. There are lots of pictures of moose on the trail. Are moose really that prevalent? Even in close to the city? If so, we will need to read up on moose safety -- some of the pics show people doing really stupid things.

2. Approximately where does the shuttle from the ship drop us in Anchorage? From that point, how far a walk is it to access the trail?

3. It looks like about a 4 mile walk from (more or less) where I think we would start to Earthquake Park. At the end of that, at Earthquake Park, is there someplace where we could readily find a cab? Or a restaurant offering good seafood?

Thanks in advance. It is a bit annoying to have to try to find a Plan B, (and maybe even Plan C depending on weather) so I need to figure out if this is something we can do, and enjoy ....

Edited by CowPrincess

Your Philips tour, is also including 4 hours in transit time, plus "wait" time, it isn't all on the boat tour. I did PWS tours 3 times last year, with 2 trips round trip Anchorage. It is a beautiful ride, and those hour are nicely broken up in my opinion. It's "fun" for me to go through the tunnel, I always want my time on boat tour. The ride back offers more "fun" with the tunnel, and scenery along the Arm. You'd be a "winner" with knowing which side to sit on. :)

As for the trail, this trail needs a bike in my opinion ;) The moose are at the other end, Kincaid Park. So, unlikely to run into any, if walking. I'm very much, more concerned about running into moose over bears. They are unpredictable and territorial. I'll always stop for a view from a distance away. When I've seen them from biking, I don't get off the bike, and even that may not help me with a fast moose. :)

You aren't going to find any cabs at Earthquake park. Take some phone numbers with you. Not any food in the area either. You're at the end near the airport.

The shuttle bus, should take you to Egan Center. it's walkable to the Coastal Trail. Snow City Cafe is on the way- if you want to grab something before you start.

Rethink- renting bikes.

Thanks so much BQ. Yes moose and elk scare the bejeepers out of me too. But there is no way we would make it to Kincaid Park.

If it was all "boat" time I think we'd be less hesitant about how long the PWS tour is. So which side would make us "winners"? :D I trust you and your comments on that tour. I am so torn about this, it is ridiculous :D

And then you give info about a place that offers all-day breakfast if we do the trail instead. Makes this an even tougher decision :D Sadly, I can't ride a bike. So we would definitely be on foot if we do the trail.

Still thinking, but definitely would like to know which side, if we do the PWS one. Thanks again!

Thanks so much BQ. Yes moose and elk scare the bejeepers out of me too. But there is no way we would make it to Kincaid Park.

If it was all "boat" time I think we'd be less hesitant about how long the PWS tour is. So which side would make us "winners"? :D I trust you and your comments on that tour. I am so torn about this, it is ridiculous :D

And then you give info about a place that offers all-day breakfast if we do the trail instead. Makes this an even tougher decision :D Sadly, I can't ride a bike. So we would definitely be on foot if we do the trail.

Still thinking, but definitely would like to know which side, if we do the PWS one. Thanks again!

I thought this was a repeat trip for you. :) Sorry for just not including the details for others as well. :) From Anchorage- sit on the right, from Whittier sit on the left. This gives you the expansive Arm viewing. It's nonstop scenery, and a top transit area. When I write about the "Direct to Denali" that Princess sells, I'll always, mention- don't be sleeping on the 2 hour section from Anchorage/Whittier. It's the highlight. :)

If renting bikes for the Tony Knowles trail, are reservations typically needed? I saw a few bike vendors who offer reservations, but I didn't want to lock myself into a specific plan on our free day in Anchorage.

If renting bikes for the Tony Knowles trail, are reservations typically needed? I saw a few bike vendors who offer reservations, but I didn't want to lock myself into a specific plan on our free day in Anchorage.

You can get walk up rentals.

The trail is about 13 miles long from the entrance on 5th Ave....there is a bike rental....or there has been for the past few years very close to the entrance. The other bike rental is in the blue building on 4th avenue about 2 blocks from the log cabin...the distance from the entrance to the trail to earthquake park is 5 miles...yes, there are moose...1500 of them live in the city...many in Kinkad Park, but a good chance of seeing one on the trail...there are also 800 bears in the city as well as 6 wolf packs....you probably won't see any. The visitor centers have bear and moose safety information in their centers on 4th ave...

I thought this was a repeat trip for you. :) Sorry for just not including the details for others as well. :) From Anchorage- sit on the right, from Whittier sit on the left. This gives you the expansive Arm viewing. It's nonstop scenery, and a top transit area. When I write about the "Direct to Denali" that Princess sells, I'll always, mention- don't be sleeping on the 2 hour section from Anchorage/Whittier. It's the highlight. :)

Thanks BQ. This is our first 14 day RT. I've really been thinking about the length of the tour and have decided I need to push myself out of my comfort zone ;) For now we will keep the reservations. Of course DH has input on this too. But when will we get another chance to do it, right? It is probably a once in a lifetime chance.

Thanks for the help!

The 26 glacier tour is a wonderful tour if you are wanting to glaciers....think it is a good choice. I do it every year...

Thank you :) Our hesitation is the length. We've had a couple of longish tours that have turned out to be truly tedious and (by the time the tour ended) they were darn unpleasant. DH and I both felt like we were being held captive :eek: so now we are hyper-sensitive about the length of tours.

I need to get my thinking to "4 hours on a bus is not that much effort for 5 hours of what appears to be spectacular viewing" :D Plus it is a scenic drive. So.... :)

I had some questions about the Tom Knowles Coastal Trail as well. I think I have everything set for our Alaska trip and was thinking about doing this trail. Everything I have seen it looks like it would be great to do. I have looked up about renting a bike for the tour. How long does it take to get around the whole trail approx? Anything special to know about the trail? Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I had some questions about the Tom Knowles Coastal Trail as well. I think I have everything set for our Alaska trip and was thinking about doing this trail. Everything I have seen it looks like it would be great to do. I have looked up about renting a bike for the tour. How long does it take to get around the whole trail approx? Anything special to know about the trail? Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Unless you are an avid bike rider the 22 mile roundtrip can be long. Another option is riding as far as Pt Woronzof by the airport, about 5 miles one way or so. The views can be spectacular on a clear day, the downtown skyline, Mt. McKinley (from quite a distance), Mt Susitna, the inlet.

Another option is renting a bike downtown and taking the bus to close to Kincaid Park and biking one way back to town. The buses have bike racks on the front. It’s about a 4 mile ride from where the bus drops you to the Chalet at Kincaid. If you’re looking for moose, Kincaid Park is the place to go and will increase your chances significantly. There are about 250 moose in Anchorage proper during the summer.

Is Kincaid Park part of the trail or is that located some place else? I do enjoying riding bikes but not sure about 22 miles. I would be ok with 10 miles. I like your suggestions. Thanks for the help.

I also like your suggestion. Can you tell me more about the bus to get to Kincaid park? Is it easy to catch bus from pablos bike rental? Name of bus? Cost of the bus? is it more to take the bike on the bus, do they attach it for you?

Then I assume it will just be 11 mi. bike ride back to bike rental? All flat ground? I haven't a clue how long it takes to ride 11 mi. do you? Haven't ridden a bike in 30 years:eek:.

Thank you.

I also like your suggestion. Can you tell me more about the bus to get to Kincaid park? Is it easy to catch bus from pablos bike rental? Name of bus? Cost of the bus? is it more to take the bike on the bus, do they attach it for you?

Then I assume it will just be 11 mi. bike ride back to bike rental? All flat ground? I haven't a clue how long it takes to ride 11 mi. do you? Haven't ridden a bike in 30 years:eek:.

Thank you.

I’m not sure I’d do it if I hadn’t ridden a bike in 30 years… Take some extra padding for your rear end. :)

I’m not recommending these folks as I have my own bike and have never used them but they do have some info on their site about the one way option. Scroll down to the bottom of the page. Since they have the info on their page they are likely in the position to help with the logistics of getting there.

http://www.alaska-bike-rentals.com/TrailsRoutes/TonyKnowlesCoastalTrailKincaidPMtnBiking.aspx

4 miles of a gradual uphill from where the bus drops you off at Raspberry and Jewel Lake. Another 11 miles back to town. From Kincaid there will be more downhill stretches than uphill.

People Mover Bus

http://www.muni.org/Departments/transit/PeopleMover/Pages/Bikes.aspx

Bike rack instructions.

http://www.muni.org/Departments/transit/PeopleMover/Documents/Bike%20Rack%20Instruction%20Sheet%202012.pdf

I would allow 2-3 hours for this.

I’m not sure I’d do it if I hadn’t ridden a bike in 30 years… Take some extra padding for your rear end. :)

I’m not recommending these folks as I have my own bike and have never used them but they do have some info on their site about the one way option. Scroll down to the bottom of the page. Since they have the info on their page they are likely in the position to help with the logistics of getting there.

http://www.alaska-bike-rentals.com/TrailsRoutes/TonyKnowlesCoastalTrailKincaidPMtnBiking.aspx

4 miles of a gradual uphill from where the bus drops you off at Raspberry and Jewel Lake. Another 11 miles back to town. From Kincaid there will be more downhill stretches than uphill.

People Mover Bus

http://www.muni.org/Departments/transit/PeopleMover/Pages/Bikes.aspx

Bike rack instructions.

http://www.muni.org/Departments/transit/PeopleMover/Documents/Bike%20Rack%20Instruction%20Sheet%202012.pdf

I would allow 2-3 hours for this.

Thanks for this - especially the bike rack instructions! :D We are debating on doing the whole trail both ways on our own, it will probably depend on the weather... but using a bus to transport a bike is one of those Adult Skills I've never had to deal with yet and you take for granted how silly you'll feel if you walk up to the bus blindly and try to figure it out, LOL!