Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite (part 2)

For me.... the best company would be the one with the biggest fleet. That would be Yellow cab. I have their dispatch number on my speed dial.

They actually have a app for smart phones to order a taxi. I have used it a few times . They actually show you where your cab is in real time.

Vancouver cab companies have identified their weakness has been dispatch. The caller waits to talk to dispatch (difficult during peak periods) and waits again for the cab to come. Yes the major cab companies came out with individual apps in recent years to bypass the dispatch.

For 2015? This summer Vancouver cab companies may be abandoning their individual apps and joining together with the universal eCab app. This app allows you to get the closest vehicle to your location, regardles of company.

What is a good taxi company in Vancouver? All of the top four seem to have terrible reviews. I need a reliable one since I have to get somewhere early in the morning. Thanks in advance for the info.
Some additional thoughts....

• are you looking at Vancouver or Vancouver suburbs. Cab companies hare limited to pickups in their municipalities. The airport is the only place that this rules does not apply.
  • which morning??? how early??? Friday/Saturday morning or Saturday night/Sunday morning.... when the downtown bars let out and transit is minimal before 4am. This is the worst time to go looking a cab as transit is not running and people go looking for rides.
  • service is also difficult in snow and shortly after a major event ends at the stadiums.

Here's the number to Yellow cab.... again they have the largest fleet in the city.

http://www.yellowcabonline.com/ (604) 681-1111

Edited by xlxo

Don't count on catching the 9AM. The first disembarkation is usually at 7:45. Depending on how many ships , customs and immigration could be a zoo.Personally I wouldn't stress to catch the 9AM train.

Why not use Quick Shuttle to Seattle . They leave at 9AM from the cruise port .

http://www.quickcoach.com/schedule.htm

Thanks, Kamloops and XLXo-I'll check them out-it would be very less stressful using them.

We're staying at Times Square Suites on the corner of Robson and Denman. We'll be taking the 5:35 pm Amtrak to Seattle on Monday, June 8. Our plans are to leave our luggage at Times Square Suites and sightsee for the day. I know we need to be at the train station at least an hour before; we have purchased business class seats.

What time would you suggest we leave to go to the train station? I'm assuming a taxi would be the way to go. Just don't want to get stuck in a lot of traffic and then be late showing up at the station. Thanks.

Google Maps says it's about 11minutes with no traffic. With rush hour traffic I would get a cab about 25 minutes prior to when you want to arrive.

Thus 4:05 departure...

Some additional thoughts....

• are you looking at Vancouver or Vancouver suburbs. Cab companies hare limited to pickups in their municipalities. The airport is the only place that this rules does not apply.
  • which morning??? how early??? Friday/Saturday morning or Saturday night/Sunday morning.... when the downtown bars let out and transit is minimal before 4am. This is the worst time to go looking a cab as transit is not running and people go looking for rides.
  • service is also difficult in snow and shortly after a major event ends at the stadiums.

Here's the number to Yellow cab.... again they have the largest fleet in the city.

http://www.yellowcabonline.com/ (604) 681-1111

Thank you for you detailed reply.

I need to be in downtown Vancouver, at a major hotel at about 8:30 am. I am staying at a hotel on Kingsway Road the Days Inn to be exact. and need a taxi at about 7:00 am on a Wednesday morning.

I am going to need internet access in the city for the app to work right? There would be no use in downloading it.

That yellow cab line, has some horrible reviews, they are kind of scary to be honest. I just don't want to be conned.

Edited by coco33

I think traffic will be your worst enemy at that time of the day. 15 minutes on Google Maps. Add another 10 minutes for congestion. I would leave your hotel around 7:45am as a continguency...

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Days+Inn+Vancouver+Metro,+Kingsway,+Vancouver,+BC/The+Fairmont+Hotel+Vancouver,+West+Georgia+Street,+Vancouver,+BC/@49.2650912,-123.1080856,14z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x548676af5874629b:0x4d9b969be8a0478d!2m2!1d-123.06355!2d49.24502!1m5!1m1!1s0x4ca8a831ddfdb11d:0x1ef4a42318d00a33!2m2!1d-123.120989!2d49.283793

I've used Yellow cab numerous times and have found them the most reliable with their large fleet size. You can also speak to the hotel front desk on who they recommend for their area.

Thank you for you detailed reply.

I need to be in downtown Vancouver, at a major hotel at about 8:30 am. I am staying at a hotel on Kingsway Road the Days Inn to be exact. and need a taxi at about 7:00 am on a Wednesday morning.

I am going to need internet access in the city for the app to work right? There would be no use in downloading it.

That yellow cab line, has some horrible reviews, they are kind of scary to be honest. I just don't want to be conned.

Keep in mind that if the hotel is in Burnaby your required to use a cab company from Burnaby. Cab companies are licensed by individual city. A Vancouver company isn't supposed to pick passengers up in Burnaby . The only exception is Canada Place and Vancouver Airport.

This might already of changed but haven't heard of any .

Hello -- enjoyed the last thread and received such great info from the Vancouverites and other posters I'm back for more!

Heading back to Alaska - this time on the Jewel OTS, which will be departing Canada Place on the 22nd May. Only able to fly into Van the day before and if the AC flight is on-time will arrive just after 9am.

Staying at the Coast Coal Harbour - assume the best way to get their with 2 pieces of luggage will be a taxi versus the Canada Line? Approx. Cost?

Plan is to head to hotel, drop bags off and walk up to Stanley Park for a few hours. By that time will be in need a nice cold beer -- any suggestions for a great place that will still local brews, has a view, and a patio?

Had thought of dinner at the Boathouse (the one on Beach); but think it's too far to walk there and back at night. What's good around the hotel?

Taxi's from the airport are fixed price depending where your going. Downtown Vancouver around $35 CDN.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Forums mobile app

Thanks -- better than I thought it would be!

Stayed at the Pinnacle Harborfront on Hastings Street prior to boarding the Golden on Saturday. Location, in my opinion, is ideal. Close proximity (3 or 4 short blocks) to Canada Place. Rooms are roomy, plumbing a little on the noisey side, clean, free wifi, harbor side has nice views of water and Stanley Park. Big plus is they accommodate early check-in. BC liquor store with an excellent selection a couple of easy blocks away. Urban Fare, similar to Whole Foods very close with a wide selection of cheeses, salads and food items. Closest sizeable supermarket is 10 blocks from the hotel, very walkable if you do not buy a lot of heavy items. Best thing about the hotel was the price available thru a large city travel site. Would I stay there again, on a heart beat. Great value for a reasonable price. Caught a cab from the airport to the hotel for a set price of $35US dollars.

One place that is fairly close to your hotel and along the Seawall - just before the Westin Bayshore is Cardero's - myself and some cruising friends from San Francisco have been there twice and really enjoyed ourselves.

There is also Cactus Club and Tap and Barrell at Jack Poole Plaza - which is the site of the Olympic Cauldron - any easy stroll from your hotel.

The other locals will be along with their recommendations - also let us know what type of food you like.

Cheers!

Dennis

Stayed at the Pinnacle Harborfront on Hastings Street prior to boarding the Golden on Saturday. Location, in my opinion, is ideal. Close proximity (3 or 4 short blocks) to Canada Place. Rooms are roomy, plumbing a little on the noisey side, clean, free wifi, harbor side has nice views of water and Stanley Park. Big plus is they accommodate early check-in. BC liquor store with an excellent selection a couple of easy blocks away. Urban Fare, similar to Whole Foods very close with a wide selection of cheeses, salads and food items. Closest sizeable supermarket is 10 blocks from the hotel, very walkable if you do not buy a lot of heavy items. Best thing about the hotel was the price available thru a large city travel site. Would I stay there again, on a heart beat. Great value for a reasonable price. Caught a cab from the airport to the hotel for a set price of $35US dollars.

We will be staying at Pinnacle Harbourfront in early July pre-cruise. Glad to know that you like the hotel. Did you take a taxi to Canada Place? We also booked our room through a large travel site's Express Deal. Did you request for harbor view?

Yes we did the Express Deal for a harbor view room. We walked to the pier, a very easy walk if you can manage your luggage. The line of taxis was extremely long and slow. You will spend more time in line to exit the taxi than you would in driving time.

Yes we did the Express Deal for a harbor view room. We walked to the pier, a very easy walk if you can manage your luggage. The line of taxis was extremely long and slow. You will spend more time in line to exit the taxi than you would in driving time.

Thanks for the heads up on taxi from hotel to the terminal. Our express deal didn't specify what type of room we get, I guess we'll find out.

Another thing to keep in mind - they control the flow of vehicles going down the ramp into the terminal - it once cost me more on the fare waiting to get down the ramp than the actual fare from my condo.

If it looks like there is a lineup to go down the ramp have the driver let you off at the top of the ramp - it's a short walk down into the terminal or you could walk into the Pan Pacific and take the elevator down to the cruise terminal.

Hope this helps

Cheers!

Dennis

Saturday they were not using the ramp. All taxis dropped in front of the Terminal. Access to the terminal was along the side of the pier where the Canada walk is and extended back quite a distance. Three ships in port, no access from the hotel to the terminal lineup. Into a holding room, assigned a group number and the down the steep stairs to the lower level, no elevator in sight. Those requiring assistance boarding where taken to another area when their group was called. Embarkation was over 2 hours plus. All ships processed together thru security and then separated. Cruising status with ships did not come into play until after Security. One good thing was with slow embarkation luggage was in our cabin on arrival.

Edited by kiwimum

Another thing to keep in mind - they control the flow of vehicles going down the ramp into the terminal - it once cost me more on the fare waiting to get down the ramp than the actual fare from my condo.
It was not that bad for me when I went. But if I saw a long queue like that, I would tell the driver to let me off at the Pan Pacific or Fairmont Waterfront. I'll push, pull, drag my stuff the last segment.

I was working a volunteer event next door at the Convention Center west and arrived early - about 11 AM to check out how embarkation was going and to check on my most recent cruise ship - the Canada Princess - which had undergone a wet dry dock - and noticed what was described by Kiwimum - that is apparently in talking to some port personnel only going to occur when there are three ships in port as there was on Saturday.

A new escalator/ elevator is being install that will lead from that area - which is actually Exhibit Hall C directly down to the terminal area - it isn't operational yet but has been installed.

Cheers!

Dennis