So What Are All the Changes Anyway....?

kcwiak

I see a lot of unhappy people on this board saying since the new CEO there have been a lot of changes. From what I read, they all stink. So has anyone listed them all? Can someone? I just booked again and have not been on here in a while. I just find it hard to believe that NCL would piss off 1000s of ppl without making it right.

Just curious. :)

I see a lot of unhappy people on this board saying since the new CEO there have been a lot of changes. From what I read, they all stink. So has anyone listed them all? Can someone? I just booked again and have not been on here in a while. I just find it hard to believe that NCL would piss off 1000s of ppl without making it right.

Just curious. :)

I'm sure I will miss some but since November these are changes I'm aware of: no smoking on your balcony, DSC raised from $12 pp to $12.95 per day for all cabins excepts suites that went up to $14.95, room service now charging or preparing to charge $7.95, no pizza delivered anywhere except in your cabin, 18% gratuity added to UDP, no more kids half price at specialty restaurants, if you have the UDPn it used to be free for the dinner show the first night this will change July 1 I think (not sure) drinks I believe have all gone up, Asian restaurants now all complimentary, no take out food from restaurants which has not yet been confirmed by NCL but has been reported by several people cruising so we are not sure of that yet. Prices have also changed in some specialty restaurants. Still "rumored" cagneys will be taken off UDP but this is also not confirmed or implemented by NCL we just don't know what will happen with that.

Geri

Edited by FootballParent

I'm sure I will miss some but since November these are changes I'm aware of: no smoking on your balcony, DSC raised from $12 pp to $12.95 per day for all cabins excepts suites that went up to $14.95, room service now charging or preparing to charge $7.95, no pizza delivered anywhere except in your cabin, 18% gratuity added to UDP, no more kids half price at specialty restaurants, if you have the UDPn it used to be free for the dinner show the first night this will change July 1 I think (not sure) drinks I believe have all gone up, Asian restaurants now all complimentary, no take out food from restaurants which has not yet been confirmed by NCL but has been reported by several people cruising so we are not sure of that yet. Prices have also changed in some specialty restaurants. Still "rumored" cagneys will be taken off UDP but this is also not confirmed or implemented by NCL we just don't know what will happen with that.

Geri

Thanks so much Geri!!!

Banning smoking on balconies has nothing to do with the new management, it was announced a lot earlier last year (long enough for people to cancel their cruises) and only came in effect in November.

The changes directed to getting more money from us customers are done by new management, usually suddenly, without any advance notification at all.

Edited by Demonyte

And I know the topic has been beaten to death, lol, but it is a business and they do have to make a profit to stay in business, so like any other business, they have to raise prices. But unlike other businesses, some people expect NCL to ask customers if its OK to raise prices and publish the changes a year in advance. :)

And I know the topic has been beaten to death, lol, but it is a business and they do have to make a profit to stay in business, so like any other business, they have to raise prices. But unlike other businesses, some people expect NCL to ask customers if its OK to raise prices and publish the changes a year in advance. :)

Incorrect. Some people simply want to know what the changes will be before the board and they're thrown in their face. Some people also want to be 'grandfathered' so that whatever changes do take place won't affect the cruise they've already paid and contracted for.

Harriet

Banning smoking on balconies has nothing to do with the new management, it was announced a lot earlier last year (long enough for people to cancel their cruises) and only came in effect in November.

The changes directed to getting more money from us customers are done by new management, usually suddenly, without any advance notification at all.

It is still a MAJOR change and is worthy of being mentioned

I believe Cagneys is still on the UDP, its just all reservations must be made onboard instead of online...

Also the UDP as well as PPG's purchased or paid for before the changes are grandfathered in so no additional funds are required...

Edited by warriorking

Geri

Thanks so much Geri! I've been out of "cruise mode" for awhile, but have 3 coming up (with great rates and promos, so no complaints!). Anyway, it's interesting and helpful to see this recap of changes!!

~Denise

I believe Cagneys is still on the UDP, its just all reservations must be made onboard instead of online...

Also the UDP as well as PPG's purchased or paid for before the changes are grandfathered in so no additional funds are required...

Posters have reported that they can now make reservations on line.

Don't be foolish. No one is expecting NCL to ask before raising prices or publish changes a year in advance.

They are simply asking that changes actually BE published when made and that contracts made prior to changes be grandfathered against those changes.

Both of which are good business practice.

Grats grandfathered, yes, UDP grandfathered is still a rumor afaik.

Some have said that they've been told UDP perks will be given based on what was in effect on date booked/purchased, but I don't believe NCL has spoken on the issue yet.

(Unless NCL publicly weighs in with a stated policy, I personally won't know for sure until my dining window opens next month.)

Edited by Wendy&Grumpy

You are right and the people need to realize, the only obligation a publicly traded company has is to turn a profit for their stockholders. they have no other obligation 0 zilch.

You are right and the people need to realize, the only obligation a publicly traded company has is to turn a profit for their stockholders. they have no other obligation 0 zilch.

Unfortunately, for some people they think NCL owes them the world and more when they don't. When they realize that NCL is no better than other cruise lines and even other types of businesses when it comes to making profits / saving money - then they will have an epiphany; which is sadly never going to happen especially on this board......

Well one, I haven't been in McDonalds in decades (purposely - always winded up with stomach cramps, so I decide to stop eating there). And two, that is a bad analogy for any other fast food restaurants because the signs on the board / flatscreens will forewarn people what included and what not in the meal packages - compare to a cruise line where they give the heads up on the internet or news outlets before a trip (That's exactly what NCL kinda did here for future cruisers that were not on the ship). And three, businesses change their policies all the time - you the consumer should always be wary especially when it comes to travel like airlines & hotels, since they don't announce til you get there anyway. A cruise line is no different nor better than airlines and hotels; some their of fees / policies on the ship have to signed off anyway, so at least you have a choice to reject that or not compare to the other two where you're just screwed.
When someone purchases tickets to Disney World, does Disney tell them that they raise the food prices seasonally or when they raise the prices of their merchandise in their stores. No, they don't announce these things, customers find out when they are in the parks.

When someone purchases tickets to Disney World, does Disney tell them that they raise the food prices seasonally or when they raise the prices of their merchandise in their stores. No, they don't announce these things, customers find out when they are in the parks.

In the same analogy, you purchase the daily meal plan for Disney, except when you get there they tell you in no longer includes breakfast or lunch, you have no problem with that??????

Seriously?

Where do you people come from?

If you buy a Disney all inclusive for next year do you think they are not going to honor that, if they raise prices?

No way would Disney pull that!

Edited by monkeybone

In the same analogy, you purchase the daily meal plan for Disney, except when you get there they tell you in no longer includes breakfast or lunch, you have no problem with that??????

Seriously?

Where do you people come from?

Agree!

If you buy a Disney all inclusive for next year do you think they are not going to honor that if they raise prices?

No way would Disney pull that!

You wanna know something funny, I bought a 5 day world hopper pass for Disney in October 1995 and only used 3 days of it, I spoke to them and they said to hold on to it as they will honor my other 2 days whenever I go back. This was before they implemented the consecutive days package. I still have the email to bring with me when I eventually go back, and no I have NO DOUBT they will honor it

Edited by iimmie

I appreciate all changes as it has been about a year since I really paid attention! I only said since new CEO because I heard there was a new one (which I did not know) and that is who I heard made all of the changes. If there are more feel free to tell me! :)

So why did Sheehan go?

It seems like every week there is some sort of new fee and people find out halfway through a cruise they are on and report it here.

Hahaha ding ding, we have a winner!

Here's a quarter buy a clue.

Tell me deary when did they contact people when they "tested" the room service charge?

When did they contact people when they implemented the 18% service charge?

When did they contact the CAS members they could no longer get the 20% off suites?

When did they contact people to tell them their dinners no longer included a bottle of wine?

When did they contact people they raised the prices of the shore excursions?

I can go on if you would like but like everything else it just seems to go over your head so I will not bother.

They didn't have to because in the contract it states they can make changes whenever they want - Always read the fine print, they don't have to announce anything, but it would be nice of them to do so.

They didn't have to because in the contract it states they can make changes whenever they want - Always read the fine print, they don't have to announce anything, but it would be nice of them to do so.

I don't think most read the fine print these days.

Maybe I should have only given you a nickel or a dime for that clue

SMH

Edited by iimmie

Let's not forget, that when one buys the tickets / products onsite at the actual place, the company doesn't have to honor the internet price which maybe higher or lower. Whether its $20 or hundred(s) of dollars difference, they don't have to tell you. That's especially true regarding the drink packages on NCL - notice they don't tell people that they can buy just for one person even at the ship but make it seem like you have to buy for everyone on the website?

I don't think most read the fine print these days.

One can tell who read the fine print and who didn't by why way they act that didn't know that NCL (and other cruise lines) can make changes without giving any notice. Those that read it are like "hmm.., let me think about this" while those that didn't are like "OMG the sky is falling, its the end of the world!".

Edited by maywell

Let's not forget, that when one buys the tickets / products onsite at the actual place, the company doesn't have to honor the internet price which maybe higher or lower. Whether its $20 or hundred(s) of dollars difference, they don't have to tell you. That's especially true regarding the drink packages on NCL - notice they don't tell people that they can buy just for one person even at the ship but make it seem like you have to buy for everyone on the website?

Not true there was a man at Kohls that beat them with their price match policy, he scored 3 dressers that went for $1200.00 each for $79.00 each.

They HAD to honor it by law but they did ban him from shopping there in the future.

Maybe you should read up on your consumer laws before making up your own.

Also Walmart had to add a disclaimer to their price match policy to not honor 3rd party sites because people would put up an item dirt cheap on ebay or amazon marketplace and then have Walmart price match it. They had to honor the $20.00 65" Samsung TV's per their stated policy

Edited by iimmie