Do you remember when NCL

biker@sea

Yes, I remember the Tee Shirts and bought them. They were "Dive In," tees with the ship's name printed across the back. Wish they'd sell them again.

I got one of those in the mid-80s. If that shirt could have talked....

Remember when the $7.95 room service fee allowed you to order unlimited items from the room service menu and not just two before incurring an additional $7.95 fee? http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2204345
A poster who just returned from the Getaway, reported that they ordered 6 items and was only charged $7.95 once.

Posted by Wilhelka: We did not run into this. Just off the Getaway and ordered room service once for dinner. We ordered an appetizer, entree, and dessert each with no problem. In response to the poster who said every two items incurred a $7.95 charge.

I remember saving up for a New 1970 Ford Maverick Stick 6 " 3 on the tree " no radio = $1995 sticker price

Ended up with a 64 T-bird . :cool:

I think you did much better with the t-bird. I had to pay extra for the radio and even had to pay extra for a cigarette lighter.

I think you did much better with the t-bird. I had to pay extra for the radio and even had to pay extra for a cigarette lighter.

NO !!

I loaned it to by body shop buddy that painted it for free for the night the first day it was registered .

The cigarette he flick out the window as he got home landed in the back seat .

He woke up to the fire truck's .:(

I never got to drive it . :(

No fire insurance ether . :o

P.S. We always buy trip insurance !!

Edited by biker@sea

NO !!

I loaned it to by body shop buddy that painted it for free for the night the first day it was registered .

The cigarette he flick out the window as he got home landed in the back seat .

He woke up to the fire truck's .:(

I never got to drive it . :(

No fire insurance ether . :o

P.S. We always buy trip insurance !!

Now that is just not fair!!!

I still have my 'Dive In' T shirts and 2 souvenir cocktail glasses (which we paid maybe $2 each extra) from the SS Norway, along with 2 'Norway' key chains. Honeymoon was in one of those top deck floor to ceiling window staterooms in 1995. I also miss the Cherries Jubilee and Bananas Flambe desserts in the MDR. I also still have the 'we sailed in the Bermuda Triangle' map and the certificates we received when we crossed the equator. Riding in Little Norway I and II over to Great Stirrup Cay. Watching as Little Norway I had to follow us to the lee side of the island because the seas whipped up so high that they couldn't get the hooks on to winch her up. Taking the Little Norways into St Maarten and St Thomas as tenders because the Norway was too large to dock. I also remember the pool party on the aft deck of the Southward with all the balloons tied to the railings (and were let go.....) And going snorkelling in St Maarten from the Seaward and flooding my brand new underwater camera. (sigh!) I also remember laying down on the carpet on one of the Norway's long stateroom hallways so I could see the gentle slope from bow to aft. I'm glad no one saw me.

So many wonderful memories!

There was a nightly bombe on the dessert menu. Really interesting ice cream flavors, for the times anyway.

The waiter came and ground pepper over your entree in the MDR

The showers were tiny and low pressure.

There was no thermal suite, just a closet sized steam and sauna - but they were free.

There was a very nice dance band during the dinner hours. Used to be the only time we could dance when the kids were young.

There was a captains party

The latitude party had a tray of real drinks, I remember Martina's and Manhattans

I remember when there were primarily two nationalities of the staff, stewards were Philipino and wait staff were Jamaican.

They would not allow anyone to disembark if one foll had not cleared his account. Since it was the Stone Age, everyone had togotothe pursers desk and clear their account the final night or last morning. What a pain.

Sailed from San Juan, but not til almost midnight, so you had the day to roam the city.

Introduced the term Texaribbean! Their logo was a cowboy riding a dolphin.

remember most of this, but no the martinis. In fact I remember when all we got drink wise was rum punch and champagne. Now we at least get wine and can ask for a mixed drink.It might take hours to get it though and the party will be way over. We might have started sailing NCL after the martini time. I think our first cruise was in 1998.

I remember...

Captain's cocktail party with champagne, whiskey sours, and other drinks complimentary.

Filet mignon with foie gras in Le Bistro. The cover charge was $10 per person and you could order all you wanted.

The Italian and Mexican specialty restaurants were complimentary.

Very tiny cabins. DH and I joked on the Norwegian Sea that we each had a "seat" on the boat.

The chocoholic buffet. At midnight. In the MDR.

The president's dinner in the MDR, which surprisingly I wasn't crazy about.

No washy washy people in the buffet area, and no hand sanitizer onboard.

And as with everything in life, the cruise industry evolves and goes through changes. It is nice to stroll down memory lane!

I remember a time (not that long ago) where there were usually maximum 10 Latitude Platinum members on a cruise - not like today, when there might be several hundred persons with Platinum status on every cruise..... ;)

Edited by TrumpyNor

Yep, there were Martina's, and I remember wondering how anyone could drink straight gin with an olive in it. There were also Yellow Birds and daiquiris and a nonalcoholic fruit punch as well as the rum punch.

It seems like the buffet was always open except for very brief change over times.

I had forgotten about tendering in St. Thomas but we sure did.

When you entered the captains party a host, who had asked your name, presented you to the captain by name, they took a picture of you and then you could be seated. Made for slow going getting into the party, but ships were smaller. We were SO impressed with ourselves :)

Oh yeh, and I don't think anyone referred to it as NCL, it was Norwegian.

You had a real key to your room and a cardboard ID card for charging.

You could get all the full sized catalogs you wanted at the desk.

There were no hairdryer a in the room.

There were coin op laundramats and nothing ever worked right!

Yep, this has been fun to think about.

Edited by MagnoliaBlossom

I loved sailing the Dream through the Kiel Canal and watching her "flip her lid" so she could get under the bridges. It was shortly after 9/11 and people lined the banks waving American flags. After dark they lined the bridges with flashlights and candles. It was a wonderful experience.

I also remember she had OV cabins that had windows almost to the floor so it was almost as good as a closed balcony door.

Remember when she smashed her bow into a barge ??

And Captain Jack wrote the BEST THREAD EVER = http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=679082

Edited by biker@sea

I remember the fancy glasses with the Norwegian name & logo on them. I still have 2 in my cabinet. LOL

How about the guy that would come and spray you with cool water when you were laying on the pool deck. Nice cold facecloth, and cold water bottle spray. Ah!!

So many wonderful memories. This thread is wonderful and I hope to remember more. :D

Keep it coming! Lovin' it.

How about some of the Great Entertainers like " The Chocolate Goddess of Love " Jane L. Powell . :D

And Dave Heenan .:)

I loved the Chocolate Goddess of Love. What a phenomenal entertainer. Is she still at sea? I know she was having some health issues. :cool::(

I remember...

Captain's cocktail party with champagne, whiskey sours, and other drinks complimentary.

Filet mignon with foie gras in Le Bistro. The cover charge was $10 per person and you could order all you wanted.

The Italian and Mexican specialty restaurants were complimentary.

Very tiny cabins. DH and I joked on the Norwegian Sea that we each had a "seat" on the boat.

The chocoholic buffet. At midnight. In the MDR.

The president's dinner in the MDR, which surprisingly I wasn't crazy about.

No washy washy people in the buffet area, and no hand sanitizer onboard.

And as with everything in life, the cruise industry evolves and goes through changes. It is nice to stroll down memory lane!

Good point about the hand sanitizer. In the 80's and 90's I don't think we ever had any outbreaks at all..makes you wonder :confused:

First time I sailed on NCL it was called Norwegian Caribbean Lines on the M/S Southward in 1979. Then sailed on the M/S Sunward II twice, and then the M/S Starward, and M/S Skyward.

The theme of NCL was "Let yourself go!". We loved the short 4 day cruises from Miami and they were called Bahamarama cruises. The private island at the time was referred only as the Berry Islands.

Tipping was $5.00 per person, per day.

Meals were in the only Dining Room but Hot Dogs and hamburgers were served poolside during luncheon hours. The gift shop onboard sold souvenir menu's. There were Norwegian dishes on the menu as well as many other entree's. Every night - you dressed up for dinner. Room service was available from 6:30 am to Midnight. There were smoking and non-smoking tables in dining room. You could bring your own liquor on board and consumed in your stateroom only.

They had a Air/Sea program called Cloud 9.

We left NCL when there was a change in ownership which brought about some bad decisions. We have been back on NCL recently and just holding our breath that the powers -that- be don't screw things up again. LOL!:p

Edited by racingraysswimmom
Spell error

First time I sailed on NCL it was called Norwegian Caribbean Lines on the M/S Southward in 1979. Then sailed on the M/S Sunward II twice, and then the M/S Starward, and M/S Skyward.

The theme of NCL was "Let yourself go!". We loved the short 4 day cruises from Miami and they were called Bahamarama cruises. The private island at the time was referred only as the Berry Islands.

Tipping was $5.00 per person, per day.

Meals were in the only Dining Room but Hot Dogs and hamburgers were served poolside during luncheon hours. The gift shop onboard sold souvenir menu's. There were Norwegian dishes on the menu as well as many other entree's. Every night - you dressed up for dinner. Room service was available from 6:30 am to Midnight. There were smoking and non-smoking tables in dining room. You could bring your own liquor on board and consumed in your stateroom only.

They had a Air/Sea program called Cloud 9.

We left NCL when there was a change in ownership which brought about some bad decisions. We have been back on NCL recently and just holding our breath that the powers -that- be don't screw things up again. LOL!:p

I remember the air and sea program. Flew Delta and had tortellini for lunch on the plane and it was actually very good. The hotel NCL used for us in Miami was the Omni Intl which was attached to a large mall as I recall. Very nice hotel.

Anyone have any old pics or menus etc. you would like to share?

I have made photos of some old "memorabilia" from the Dawn 2003 (yes, much have changed since then) that I tried to upload to the CC Photo Gallery in order to upload the files larger than the thumbnail size that would be if I uploaded them directly here (I have done that earlier without any problem), but now I received a message about being blocked from the photo gallery section......!!!

Anyone have any old pics or menus etc. you would like to share?

Found a few Norway souvenirs......sample menu

norway%20menu_zpssm33ydtb.jpeg

everyone got a folder in their stateroom with all the ship particulars in it:

norway_zpsl37ixpoi.jpeg

and then the explosion....and the end of the Norway. We had such hopes for her:

norway%20herald_zpsqv0i7dn6.jpeg

I remember the air and sea program. Flew Delta and had tortellini for lunch on the plane and it was actually very good. The hotel NCL used for us in Miami was the Omni Intl which was attached to a large mall as I recall. Very nice hotel.

The Omni Hotel and Mall were torn down years ago. I stayed at the Omni before my very first cruise on the Norway, before I moved to Miami. I remember looking out the hotel window the next morning and there she was in all her glory....SS Norway!

Had a golf pro on the ship to Bermuda ?

Sold refillable glass beer mug's with the ship name on them ?

The glass fish bowl's ?

Cheap destination tee shirt's from the excursion desk ??

What else has been cut out ?

2.0 ?? :rolleyes:

How about the Dive-In program and staff...?