Something Good About the Room Service Fee

It used to be that the corridors were lined with room service trays waiting to be taken away....just very unattractive and often obstacles.

Just off the Gem today....and they're all gone. Maybe one or two the entire week...but that was about it.

If you charge a fee, people will stop using the service, therefore you have lower food costs and less human resources needed to deliver those food costs.

I believe this is exactly what NCL intends to accomplish.

This was not aimed to raise revenue. It was an attempt to cut costs.

If you charge a fee, people will stop using the service, therefore you have lower food costs and less human resources needed to deliver those food costs.

I believe this is exactly what NCL intends to accomplish.

This was not aimed to raise revenue. It was an attempt to cut costs.

That's one way to put people on a diet while vacationing, lol. ;)

MsTabbyKats, can you confirm that they were charging the fee (or not) on your cruise?

I think it was $4.95 (not sure since I never used room service).

I didn't even put 2 and 2 together...until my husband commented that he didn't see "dirty dishes" in the halls.

I don't recall seeing very many dirty dishes in the halls on the Dawn the first week of March, and there were no fees then. IMO,in spite of what CC members would have you believe, very few people use room service.

I'm REALLY torn about the fee. I had (mostly) stopped ordering Room Service because the food was not very good. The new menu looks much better and possibly worth the fee.

But I hate having the fee. One of the joys of cruising was free room service and now it's gone. The friends I travel with are prone to seasickness and made heavy use of room service, and this may make them sad.

Who really gives a toss about trays being left outside a door. If you are spending to much time in the corridor.

That is a major safety issue in the case of emergency. It is strictly forbidden to leave any items (be it dirty dishes or scooters) in the hallways.

I'm just imagining the crowds in the buffet and restaurant at breakfast time as all the passengers who previously ordered room service decide to eat out of their cabins. I've always taken my breakfast back to my cabin to avoid the crowds and enjoy the balcony view. Will we have to eat standing up if all the tables and the restaurants are full?

I actually don't think I've ever ordered room service as I prefer to and get specifically what it is I want to eat, but trying to even get a seat in O'Sheehan's later in the evening could be challenging.

Who really gives a toss about trays being left outside a door. If you are spending to much time in the corridor.
It is a safety issue for one :eek: A lot of times they don't even take the time to place it down nicely and things spill over on to the floor.

I'm just imagining the crowds in the buffet and restaurant at breakfast time as all the passengers who previously ordered room service decide to eat out of their cabins.
Hey never thought of it that way. Buffets are crazy in the morning to begin with. My dh and I normally go to the resturant to eat. I am lucky enough that we booked a suite at an awesome price so we don't have to worry about the fee.(well at least not on our next cruise :D)

Like everything else people will just have to plan ahead when making there cruise budget. Is room service worth it or not? :confused: I for one think it is and will order either way. :D