Balconies on the Royal

janny444

Hi

There is a good reason that Princess has insides priced the same as the window boxes, on the Royal.

No big balconies like the grand class ships on different decks

yours Shogun

Some of the aft cabins which are premium balconies are larger, much larger then the rest. I have seen them myself. But they do not have many of these cabins as most of them are suites or mini suites. But they do have them.

Yes, there are larger than standard balconies on Royal and Regal. They are located mid ship, forward and aft on all passenger cabin decks. They are on regular cabins, Deluxe cabins and mini-suites. There is no deck dedicated to ony large cabins as there is on Grand class ships.:) The deck plans can help you find them.

We are on The Regal in October.....the Princess rep told me our mini-suite C428, port side, is enough below the skywalk and shouldn't be an issue. We have one of the extended balconies which is 9'x8'10". Our previous cruises have been on the "open to the sky" balconies on the Dolphin decks of the Crown.....and our Regal balcony seems to be at least that large....or possibly larger. Happy Cruising...

Are these balconies not overlooked from the Skywalk?

I wouldn't book on the deck immediately below the sky walk or even the bar on the opposite side. However anything lower than that will do. No one is going to stand on the walk being a peeping tom into a room. Maybe see you sitting on your balcony, But that happens on other locations too. And what we observed, not many people actually stand for a long period on the walkway to look straight down.

We were in D420 on the Regal in winter. It was very nice- considered an obstructed view because if we looked two floors down we saw the promendade deck's sitting area.. we couldn't see straight down the side of the ship. Big whoop! :p We had a much larger balcony AND because of its classification less costly. So don't be afraid of those obstructed ones mid ship. Just check out where things are.. like lifeboats.

Really study a deck diagram and you find the ones that have extended or angled balconies. You don't have to book a deluxe balcony to get the larger balcony either. There are "regular" balcony rooms like ours that had the much nicer balcony. We could move our chairs around easily. Could have added a third chair or foot rests with no trouble . Not like the tiny ones.

Edited by eandj

So is the entire Dolphin deck of minis on the Grand Class ships.

For most its no big deal.

Quite so....but for us that would not be acceptable that one was "on show" all of the time.

Someone posted a video taken from the Skywalk and it showed not only onto the balconies but into some of the rooms especially when the patio door is open...'fraid that is a big no no for us.

Thank you for the replies everyone

Quite so....but for us that would not be acceptable that one was "on show" all of the time.

Someone posted a video taken from the Skywalk and it showed not only onto the balconies but into some of the rooms especially when the patio door is open...'fraid that is a big no no for us.

Thank you for the replies everyone

The balconies of the first few decks under the Skywalk are not very private at all. We don't mind the typical people above us on a typical balcony but with the new Skywalk it seems to attract almost everyone on board to cross over just to see the view. They should clarify the problem to those booking them beforehand so they know what to expect.

I don't think I actually saw anyone using those balconies during our cruise. Maybe they just avoided using them altogether.;)

I have to laugh because when we were on the Royal a bunch of us were standing on the skywalk. We looked down and saw a naked guy in all his glory. My guess he knew he could be seen. Too bad he was fat and far from attractive.:eek::eek:

I have to laugh because when we were on the Royal a bunch of us were standing on the skywalk. We looked down and saw a naked guy in all his glory. My guess he knew he could be seen. Too bad he was fat and far from attractive.:eek::eek:

It's always those guys that show up in the speedos too! :D

Yeh, unless you are a private person who happens to like to sun bathe nude the location shouldn't bother you.

I don't have a problem with anyone looking down at dh and I having our morning coffee in our robes. Or sipping a glass of wine in the afternoon. We don't do anything on the verandah that we would/should be embarrassed about. I guess I don't get the feeling that there is no "privacy". Maybe I'm missing what everyone else is doing on their verandahs.

Edited by eandj

We had Baja 414 - midship mini and loved the balcony. Big, great views looking down and around. Rarely bothered to look up to see whether anyone was wandering on the skywalk (it's on the bar-side) but when there were people, they generally moved by fairly quickly. I offer the same reminder to the skywalk walkers as we give to those looking down at us when we're on our dolphin-deck balcony on other ships; remember that while you can see us if you are looking down, we can see you in all your glory when we look up.

Edited by LoriPhil

We had Baja 414 - midship mini and loved the balcony. Big, great views looking down and around. Rarely bothered to look up to see whether anyone was wandering on the skywalk (it's on the bar-side) but when there were people, they generally moved by fairly quickly. I offer the same reminder to the skywalk walkers as we give to those looking down at us when we're on our dolphin-deck balcony on other ships; remember that while you can see us if you are looking down, we can see you in all your glory when we look up.

So true!:D :D

There's just something about having a cabin directly below the Skywalk that doesn't appeal to most people. It like being in a fishbowl on display constantly. I would have thought that the designers could have come up with an overhang to block the view from above somewhat.

There's just something about having a cabin directly below the Skywalk that doesn't appeal to most people. It like being in a fishbowl on display constantly. I would have thought that the designers could have come up with an overhang to block the view from above somewhat.

Thank you once again for your replies...just goes to show that everyone is different..."one man's meat is another man's poison" sort of thing.

For us if we are in the mood to " mix and mingle" we go on top deck but we like our balcony to be our own private oasis to be doing whatever we like without ever feeling that we are being watched or overlooked...that's why we really like Caribe deck 10 on the Grand class...best of both worlds.

Thank you once again for your replies...just goes to show that everyone is different..."one man's meat is another man's poison" sort of thing.

For us if we are in the mood to " mix and mingle" we go on top deck but we like our balcony to be our own private oasis to be doing whatever we like without ever feeling that we are being watched or overlooked...that's why we really like Caribe deck 10 on the Grand class...best of both worlds.

Oh yes, the balconies on the Caribe desks.....those were the BEST. You'll have to book a suite to get anything close to that these days. ;)

Just remember to stay under the covered portion of the Caribe deck while doing whatever you want or you will have people looking down on you. :D

Just remember to stay under the covered portion of the Caribe deck while doing whatever you want or you will have people looking down on you. :D

:o:o...I wasn't meaning anything like THAT!!!! :eek::eek: but your comment has certainly made me smile...aaaahhh if only :D

You can still be seen from the Bridge and from Skywalker's.

What the Skywalk and the bar on the other side do block is sun from reaching your balcony according to posts from people who have had those cabins.

What the Skywalk and the bar on the other side do block is sun from reaching your balcony according to posts from people who have had those cabins.

I can live without getting sun but it's being in a fishbowl that bothers me. If they would have had a privacy overhang similar to the covered section on a Caribe deck (other ships) I believe they would be more appealing.

The OP does not want anyone to see her on her balcony.The main point about the Caribe deck balconies on the Grand class ships is that they are only covered by the standard balcony above them. The forward portion of the Caribe balcony to the railing is uncovered. If you don't want to be viewed by the decks of balconies above you, you have to restrict your chairs to under the balcony above you. That makes a Caribe deck balcony pointless to anyone that truly wants total privacy.:)