From newest to oldest

vicocala

Hi we are new to NCL and have cruises booked for Getaway (June) and Escape (Christmas). Today I learned that I can still get last month's promotions, UBP and gratuities if I book another cruise by Tuesday.

I am considering the Spirit which is the oldest of the lines ships but was drydocked last year.

I know the ship is half the size of these other ships I will be sailing on, but I wonder if going from newest to oldest will lessen our experience.

If you have sailed an "away" ship as well as the Spirit I would appreciate it if you could share the good, bad and ugly of the differences in those ships.

Thanks in advance, Vicocala

Hi we are new to NCL and have cruises booked for Getaway (June) and Escape (Christmas). Today I learned that I can still get last month's promotions, UBP and gratuities if I book another cruise by Tuesday.

I am considering the Spirit which is the oldest of the lines ships but was drydocked last year.

I know the ship is half the size of these other ships I will be sailing on, but I wonder if going from newest to oldest will lessen our experience.

If you have sailed an "away" ship as well as the Spirit I would appreciate it if you could share the good, bad and ugly of the differences in those ships.

Have sailed both aways, on Escape this year and was on Spirit again a couple of months ago.

They are contrasting ships. Spirit doesn't have all the fancy thrills, water slides, ice bars etc. but it has what a lot of modern ships lack, character.. Much more personalised service at the bars, loads more open deck space.

I miss large screen / interactive TV / I concierge etc.. But it reminds me of my earlier cruises on a similar style/size ship.

For me Spirit is my "relaxing" cruise. The "aways" my entertaining cruise if that makes sense...

Thanks for your reply. How was the food on your cruise? Do they serve differently in the Med vs the Carib?

Is there enough variety in restaurants to do a UDP or would it be more useful to dine as I go?

Thanks for your reply. How was the food on your cruise? Do they serve differently in the Med vs the Carib?

Is there enough variety in restaurants to do a UDP or would it be more useful to dine as I go?

Now Shogun is inclusive you have Cagneys, Bistro, the Italian and Teppenyaki for UDP.

It still has two main restaurants, raffles buffet and terrace (lots of outdoor tables) and Blue Lagoon for 24hr comfort food :)

They have speciality lunches at Raffles. The Biergarten also has daily lunch grill and sea days deck BBQ. So stacks of eating :)

Last NCL we sailed was BA last year and going on Spirit late this year. We sailed Spirit back in 2007. Liked the ship - smaller, lots of wood and brass, Asian inspired. Buffet is sort of action station like. Blue Lagoon is very small though.

Spirit is not like any other NCL ship and that was their intention. When they bought the ship, it was so beautiful that the original décor was kept. So, Spirit IS the experience without all the bells and whistles.

Despite being half the size of the newer ships, the smaller vessels like the Spirit are still mega ships after all... so you won't get the feeling they are tiny. The nicest aspect of some of the smaller ships is that the crew to passenger ratio is higher so you tend to get a more personal touch. The most notable difference will be the difference in the number of entertainment options as there are fewer venues than on the biggest ships. This is ok though, because it just means there are fewer things that you have to rush around to try and fit in as well. The pool areas, to be quite honest, are roomier on the smaller ships and don't feel as crowded during peak times. The addition of giant waterslides and ropes courses is nice on the bigger ships, but it compresses the pool area into a much smaller footprint.

Bottom line is, if you like cruising you can't go wrong on any of the ships in the fleet.. regardless of size. The Spirit is a great ship and we have enjoyed sailing on her :)

I've sailed both Getaway and Spirit. I'd never do Spirit again. There just wasn't a lot happening, especially at night time. It's been a LONG time ago, but the service was by far the worst we'd ever had on any ship - like the crew didn't want to be there at all. That was my first NCL experience, and thankfully I don't judge a cruiseline based on one trip on one ship, or I'd have never been back. I thought Spirit was a nice little ship, but for our tastes, we like the nonstop action and variety offered by the larger/newer ships.

I've sailed both Getaway and Spirit. I'd never do Spirit again. There just wasn't a lot happening, especially at night time. It's been a LONG time ago, but the service was by far the worst we'd ever had on any ship - like the crew didn't want to be there at all. That was my first NCL experience, and thankfully I don't judge a cruiseline based on one trip on one ship, or I'd have never been back. I thought Spirit was a nice little ship, but for our tastes, we like the nonstop action and variety offered by the larger/newer ships.

Thanks for your input. Hopefully they have improved the service. How long ago did you take the Spirit cruise? I am curious how the crews are going to be reacting to all of the changes lately. I guess I will find out to some extent next month on the Getaway.

When we were on the Spirit service was like night and day between the two MDRs. The back one - Windows - was slow anytime we tried it whether it was B/L/D. The one in front of Windows - Garden Room - when we went for dinner was very good. Unfortunately the Windows was more appealing as it is more wide open and higher ceilings. They both work from the same kitchen I believe so not sure why it was like that. My point being if you try one and it isn't to your liking, maybe try the other.

Have you seen the picture reviews by tmackel or computeworks on the Spirit?

When we were on the Spirit service was like night and day between the two MDRs. The back one - Windows - was slow anytime we tried it whether it was B/L/D. The one in front of Windows - Garden Room - when we went for dinner was very good. Unfortunately the Windows was more appealing as it is more wide open and higher ceilings. They both work from the same kitchen I believe so not sure why it was like that. My point being if you try one and it isn't to your liking, maybe try the other.

Have you seen the picture reviews by tmackel or computeworks on the Spirit?

I saw tmackel's. I have also been watching some YouTube Videos. Depending on how I like some of the specialties, I may end up getting the UDP. I shall see and will keep the tips in mind. Thanks!