What do you do-week before you cruise?

BugsMomma

Usually I start packing things that I won't need before the cruise. This time I'll be last minute packing :) mostly though I stalk these boards and look at pictures because I'm so excited lol

Call your bank and make sure they know you will be traveling so your card isn't locked out.

I have a list that I use for packing. I start throwing stuff in a suitcase and marking it off my list, then organize it as the date gets closer.

Make sure all of my bills are paid that are due during that timeframe.

Make sure all of your documents for cruising are in order (I always check WAY before this time to make sure I have passports, birth certificates, make sure license has not expired, etc).

Edited by cricket_7

I cruise 1 week from today. What are the things that you do the last week before you cruise?

I'm usually all packed by now. I haven't even started for this one yet. :(

I pack the night before, review my paperwork and travel docs, set the alarm early so I can drive to the airport and catch my flight to the cruiseport.

• lawn is mowed so the house does not look abandoned
  • notify someone resposible to pick up flyers and sometimes mail
  • plug in IP security cameras to be able to remotely check-in to ensure the house is still standing
  • plug table lights into a timer
  • SIM cards are activated for where I'm going to get cheap data to avoid roaming charges
  • cars are full of fresh gas to avoid condensation build up in the tanks
  • shut off main water supply in case there is a rupture when no one is home
  • water/fertilize lawn/plants to build up strength before I'm gone for the week
  • do I mention packing?

*Iron

*Pack

*Pay bills

*Check all paperwork (hotel ressies, boarding pass, passports, excursion info, etc.)

*Banking (get cash, separate into envelopes for excursions to be paid, etc.)

*Notify credit card company of travel outside the country

*Stop mail (if no house sitter)

*Clean out refrigerator

We usually pack the night before we leave to prevent some wrinkling & drop the fur babies off at boarding. I go over EVERY document we need for the trip to ensure I don't forget anything (ie, flight boarding passes, cruise boarding passes, hotel reservations, luggage tags, passports etc). It is usually a very early night for us as we generally take the first flight out which is about 6 am. We have to drive to Indy airport so we are up about 3 am.

When the cruise is only one week out I'll probably...

• have to try not to let my mind wander off to exotic destinations while I'm at work
  • check and recheck my cruise documents
  • make sure our passports don't get left behind
  • cruise these boards for the latest news and info
  • double-check our packing list
  • choose which credit cards to take and which to leave behind
  • wander through my photos of cruises and cruise ships
  • yes, check to make sure bills are paid up
  • and try to sleep despite the growing excitement!

When the cruise is only one week out I'll probably...

• have to try not to let my mind wander off to exotic destinations while I'm at work
  • check and recheck my cruise documents
  • make sure our passports don't get left behind
  • cruise these boards for the latest news and info
  • double-check our packing list
  • choose which credit cards to take and which to leave behind
  • wander through my photos of cruises and cruise ships
  • yes, check to make sure bills are paid up
  • and try to sleep despite the growing excitement!

yep, that

I love the week before a cruise, it's so much fun watching my wife run around like a chicken with it's head chopped off.:D

Packing, unpacking, switching out outfits, double and triple checking her "packing list":rolleyes:

We leave Saturday and she is in full blown chicken mode.

The best part is that it drives her crazy that i won't even pull my suitcase out till Friday.

Day Before: We always go the destination the night before the cruise for departure the next day

2 days before- Place clothes in luggage, place meds, jewelry, passports, camera,documents, cash and credit cards in purse, board pets, place critter food outside (squirrels, ferel cats and birds), charge all iPads and cell phones and place everything in carry on bag. Polish nails in the evening.

3 days before- Get outdoor critter food ready, water plants, last towel laundry, update my garmin watch, file nails, paint toes, place luggage tags on luggage, use dishwasher get everything squeaky clean, go to bank.

4 days before- get clothes out that I want to take, get pets boarding stuff ready, get shoes and purses ready, last laundry

5 days before- get toiletries ready

I am very OCD so I usually pack 2 weeks out! :rolleyes:

Around the one week mark, I usually:

-print out my boarding pass and luggage tag,

-purchase my water and bottle of wine to bring on board,

-notify my bank that I will be out of the country so they don't put a hold on my cards,

-double and triple check my packing list and make my last minute purchases (if any)

-get caught up on any cleaning and/or laundry

-make sure my dvr will have enough free space on it for all of my shows :D

- Try to relax and not obsess over my upcoming cruise so I can function like a normal human being :p

Stop mail.

Tell neighbor I'm going out of town.

Throw stuff in suitcase to sort and pack night before.

Clean house.

Pay bills.

Get cruising paperwork in order.

Go to ATM for cash.

Review shore excursions and firm up any deposits I need to make.

Review cruising docs and itinerary with those who are cruising with me.

Turn off 2nd water heater.

Send cruise contact info to my sister and mom.

Turn off water sprinkler.

Pedi/mani

Stop mail usps.com love this feature!!

Remind dad to check house two/three times while I'm away.

Have lawn company mow the grass.

Determine if this is going to be a lazy beach bum cruise or an active shore excursion cruise.

Target run.

I love the week before a cruise, it's so much fun watching my wife run around like a chicken with it's head chopped off.:D

Packing, unpacking, switching out outfits, double and triple checking her "packing list":rolleyes:

We leave Saturday and she is in full blown chicken mode.

The best part is that it drives her crazy that i won't even pull my suitcase out till Friday.

Full Blown Chicken Mode = LOL!!!!

That just about describes what my routine is the week of the cruise. Compounded if we are taking all the kids because I need to make sure that we have all their stuff packed too.

I'm also OCD about clearing everything off my desk at work and making sure clients have what they need so they won't miss me too much. I also LOVE to come home to a completely clean house so I am in full on frenzy cleaning mode.

My DH likes to wait until the last day to pack also, then I have to look through what he packs to be sure he has everything, have had to buy him a belt on cruise and one time he packed no long pants for dinner, had to wear suit pants all week.

I also make sure my cameras are ready. The memory cards are empty and battery charged and chargers are packed. I also take a picture of my name' date=' address and phone in case they(cameras) get separated from me.[/quote']

Now that's a good tip!

Edited by Bobblefrog

I'm glad I'm not alone in the "packing the day before" crew. I always say I'm starting early but it never happens.

So far we haven't forgotten anything...fingers crossed.

New memory cards are on my shopping list, for some reason I can't never have enough pics of the Statue of Liberty and gorgon beaches.

Thanks for the tips!

If its my birthday cruise/vacation - I try and survive Thanksgiving with my family. Otherwise; I'm packed, have my money in my passport wallet, documents are all in the purse, home is all clean and I have embark clothes all laid out.

If its a last-minute trip - pretty much the same except I don't tell family where I'm going (makes it easy to slip out and not hear them talk about the "evils" of traveling)

My DH likes to wait until the last day to pack also, then I have to look through what he packs to be sure he has everything, have had to buy him a belt on cruise and one time he packed no long pants for dinner, had to wear suit pants all week.

My hubby waits til last minute too,,,1 cruise we have formal night pics w/him wearing flip flops with his dress clothes! Lol