How difficult is the ships tour of Cinque Terre?

We are really looking forward to seeing Cinque Terre but some say it is way too difficult to do. Has anyone done this ships tour ? How difficult is it really? Were there seniors , could you walk at your own pace, was there free time, is it a tour that a person with average stamina can do?

I know it is a very popular tour so how difficult can it be?

We did this tour last May. So here is my take for what it's worth. The walking wasn't bad and you had free time in each village. Now the crazy part. We were stuffed, and I do mean stuffed like cattle into the trains. My wife and I are either side of 50 and in decent enough shape. I was very unhappy with that. We were supposed to take a boat between two islands, and the wind was too rough. We were also supposed to walk the path between two of the villages and it has been closed.

Seeing Cinque Terre was my one non-negotiable since we had been to Florence once. It was absolutely great, but the train ride and only the train ride made it a tough excursion.

As an FYI, this was through RCCI but I assume it is very similar.

Edited by sonvoltken6
added additional info

We did a private tour two years ago . To put it into prospective I had had foot and ankle reconstruction wig a tendo transfer 5 months before ( trip was booked 1 1/2 yrs in advance, surgery was a surprise, the ortho Dr said it " should" be okay, gave me a brace for long days and we figure I would do the best I could.

That day was a bit rough as it was a lot of walking and we had horrible rain that day, however, to be honest, everyone in our group of six was exhausted with hurting and tired legs...lol

Bottom line is I would not have missed it and if I had to do it all over again, I would in a heartbeat!

We are really looking forward to seeing Cinque Terre but some say it is way too difficult to do. Has anyone done this ships tour ? How difficult is it really? Were there seniors , could you walk at your own pace, was there free time, is it a tour that a person with average stamina can do?

I have done it and it's a great place to visit, would love to go again! Just watch your belongings on the train, one woman was pushed down( it happened so quickly) and her $$ , passport etc were stolen. Have a great time if you go[emoji4]

Where is your ship docking/tendering? This makes a huge difference in trying to do things on your own.

I'd also recommend taking a private tour. We used RomeInLimo. It's a long ride from Livorno (if that is your port city.)

Being in our mid 50's and early 60's, at the time, we did not have any trouble with the walking or the train. We were very disappointed that the trails were still closed from mud slides (this was 2-3 years ago.) The hardest part of the tour was when we had to walk out of the last village and the street was straight up to the van.

Be sure and have a seaside meal of fried seafood and/or pizza's.

Edited by Iamthesea

We did the ships tour and I do not think it was difficult. You could do more or less depending on what you wanted your pace to be. There was quite a bit of free time, but you had to be at designated places at specific times to go between the different villages of Cinque terra. We did not have any trouble on the train. We rarely take ship's excursions, but we did this one because of time concerns, and I think it was a great value.

We also did a private tour, although I cannot mention the person I used but it was not the one previously mentioned. We loved our private tour and visited 4 of the villages and did things at our own pace. We were fortunate to do an overnight in Livorno so we did not have to worry about being back to the ship early. We shared it with another couple from our roll call.

You may also want to check the Ports of Call forum for Italy ports. You may find more information there about private tour operators and also on tripadvisor.

I'm really happy we did the private tour. Don't miss Cinque Terre.

On our second day, we visited the Tuscan countryside...Siena, Voltera and San Gimignano and with the same tour guide who was wonderful.

If you post your e-mail address. If I could contact you, I would send you more information but advertising is not allowed on cc.

I booked the ships tour then cancelled it. I'd love to do this trip but just think the timing isn't right. Livorno so a long ride. I don't think we could get a private trip going on our roll call. Lovers walk is still closed so they substituted a pesto tasting. Um. Nope. :(

We did this trip through the ship a couple of years ago. The weather was bad, rain most of the day. The walking was ok but the boat trips between each village were awful. The boats used on our trip were publice service boats not boats that are dedicated to your trip. We were very concerned about safety, there was no safety anouncement on any of the boats and some just had plastic picnic chairs to sit on. People were being sick and thrown about by the heavy seas!

We complained about the safety aspect and got our money refunded. The tour guide wasn't particularly impressive either. One of her comments was "I'm not sure wether we can complete this trip and if we do I'm not sure we can get you back to the ship". Great start!!

Thank you everyone for your comments

We are doing the ships tour

I am interested in knowing how difficult is the walking climbing and in general managing the day

Celebrity has warnings about the difficulty of this tour

So I'm asking all of you that have done the ships tour about your experiences thank you again

Although I mentioned earlier about a private tour, and not a ships tour, I can tell you that for people with difficulty climbing, this tour could be rough! :eek: Many winding stairs, ramps, streets that go straight up and down.

If you are doing a tour from the water, then you can decide how far you want to climb. If you are taking a bus tour, the buses let you off at the top and you walk down to see the sights. Then, you also have to walk back up. :rolleyes:

Perhaps the following photos will give you an idea of the terrain. ;) (click on each)

PS - With our private tour, we also had time to go to Pisa and had about an hour there to see the leaning tower and cathedral. :)

In the first photo, if you look to the top of the photo, you can see how far we were to climb back up the hill from where I took the picture. I was standing at a lookout, so actually had to walk back down that ramp and then all the way back up to the top of the village. We walked down that way, as well.

The second photo was taken from the top and looking down into one of the villages.

In the third photo, we were half way up in one of the villages. It was a tough walk the rest of the way up. The last several yards were straight up, it seemed. All the villages were this way.

DSC07307.jpg.c5d5503427fdcc955b8451c6f385d774.jpg

DSC07315.jpg.b0c5729b0a4514ea7dda6684a798034b.jpg

DSC07325.jpg.7f1887725fb586690d709bc0501cee76.jpg

Edited by Iamthesea

Although I mentioned earlier about a private tour, and not a ships tour, I can tell you that for people with difficulty climbing, this tour could be rough! :eek: Many winding stairs, ramps, streets that go straight up and down.

If you are doing a tour from the water, then you can decide how far you want to climb. If you are taking a bus tour, the buses let you off at the top and you walk down to see the sights. Then, you also have to walk back up. :rolleyes:

Perhaps the following photos will give you an idea of the terrain. ;) (click on each)

PS - With our private tour, we also had time to go to Pisa and had about an hour there to see the leaning tower and cathedral. :)

In the first photo, if you look to the top of the photos, you can see how far we were to climb up the hill from where I took the picture. We walked down that way, as well.

The second photo was taken from the top and looking down into one of the villages.

In the third photo, we were half way up in one of the villages. It was a tough walk the rest of the way up. The last several yards were straight up, it seemed. All the villages were this way.

Hi!! Beautiful pictures!! Can you share the private tour guide you used?? Been to Pisa before but our kids really want to go.:)

Actually, except for the B&W (and you really can't see it well being so small), I don't think of the photos that I posted as beautiful. In fact, we were surprised at how rundown the towns looked. However, it was after the mudslides and there was still cleaning up to do. I think that the real beauty of these villages is to see them from the water. The villages were nice at sea level and seeing how the villagers lived was a highlight! (See a few other photos below.)

I included the name of the tour company (RomeInLimo) in my first post. Apparently, that was NO, NO. I had not read the OP's question closely and saw other mentions of taking a private tour and mentioned our experience.

DSC07297.jpg.bfb83f2ccbd2665d6851f8b348136b86.jpg

DSC07304.jpg.df5125dbec34388b08c3dc4b96443ba2.jpg

DSC07342.jpg.ee264634df78ecd36e635e483496bb6b.jpg

DSC07347.jpg.d23dd053349c592ce39b9e95a64a9329.jpg

Edited by Iamthesea

I have posted this topic on the Italy boards to make it more relevant. If anyone has done the ships tour for CT, could you please let me know if there are issues of walking, stairs, hills etc.

We are travelling with friends who are concerned about how strenuous this tour may be.

I have posted this topic on the Italy boards to make it more relevant. If anyone has done the ships tour for CT, could you please let me know if there are issues of walking, stairs, hills etc.

We are travelling with friends who are concerned about how strenuous this tour may be.

We did the ships tour of CT in 2012. My husband had an acute episode of back pain right after boarding 2 days prior to CT tour & was able to navigate without difficulty.

It is a tiring tour but worth it. There is about a 90 min bus ride to CT [ 1 rest stop ]& then some walking in the villages themselves. There are some steep stairways but they are downhill with railings & not a fast pace so was fine.

The train rides are short, maybe 5-10 min to the next town & were fine. We were not crowded on the ride. I definitely advise if you us the bathrooms at the train stations to be prepared...take toilet tissue with you!

Use the facilities at the restaurant stop in CT if you can .

Then the bus will return you to the ship.

Very unique experience . Friendly villagers. We did not go to the restaurant recommended by the tour guide & instead found a local cafe down a side street that was great!

thank you so much....that answers it....

When are you planning your trip ?

I have arranged a private tour from Livorno to the Cinqueterre for next week when aboard the Equinox, only costing 400 euro for our group of 8. Email me if you want the details - we will be returning on the 22nd May. - mhs1@talktalk.net

Edited by mickey89

Thank you mickey but we are doing a ships tour because of the guarantee of getting back. The price you have is wonderful and I am sure it will be an amazing tour. This is one port, that if the weather is not great, things get very slow on the roads.

Two years ago, in Civitavechia while sitting in a bar, we checked the weather for next day in Cingue Terre. The skies were to open up. We got onto the ship and cancelled the tour. The buses were stuck in the mud and were 3 hours late getting back.

That is the plan this time as well. Will check the weather a day or two ahead and cancel if necessary. Yes I realize all the benefits of doing a private tour and usually only do private tours, except for this port.

Thanks again.

My husband and I , (both mid fifties) did the ships tour of Cinque Terre and

had a wonderful time. We had plenty of free time to explore on our own, grab a bite to eat, or a drink, certainly never felt rushed. Neither of us would even remotely consider this a strenuous tour. We also had the train experience , but we embraced it as part of the moment. Having been to Florence many times , we were excited about exploring a new area and it was a highlight.

We did a private tour two years ago . To put it into prospective I had had foot and ankle reconstruction wig a tendo transfer 5 months before ( trip was booked 1 1/2 yrs in advance, surgery was a surprise, the ortho Dr said it " should" be okay, gave me a brace for long days and we figure I would do the best I could.

That day was a bit rough as it was a lot of walking and we had horrible rain that day, however, to be honest, everyone in our group of six was exhausted with hurting and tired legs...lol

Bottom line is I would not have missed it and if I had to do it all over again, I would in a heartbeat!

Great company to do tour is http://www.cinqueterretour.it/index.php/en/#_=_

My husband and I , (both mid fifties) did the ships tour of Cinque Terre and

had a wonderful time. We had plenty of free time to explore on our own, grab a bite to eat, or a drink, certainly never felt rushed. Neither of us would even remotely consider this a strenuous tour. We also had the train experience , but we embraced it as part of the moment. Having been to Florence many times , we were excited about exploring a new area and it was a highlight.

Completely agree!

We did the ships tour, both 60. The coach trip is nice, with a stop for coffee. then you are dropped at a car park and walk downhill with your guide to the first town. If the path of love is still closed (landslide), you will be taken by boat from town to town, with time for coffee, sightseeing and lunch. At the lunch stop we asked the guide for a recommendation and we ended up in the same place as all the guides for lunch with some fantastic food. The last stop, you then walk to the train station and its a quick 5 min ride to the coach where you ride back to the ship, having a well earned nap on the way.

We really enjoyed the trip, one of the best we have taken and would go again in a heartbeat.

An alternative is Volterra and San G with lunch. That comes a very close second for us.

I guess that our private tour was different than the ships tours talked about on this thread in that we had to walk back up the hill to our transportation.:rolleyes: There were tour buses up with us (and tourist trudging back up the hill to the buses), so not sure who the buses were transporting, but it must not have been cruiseship passengers. ;)

Again, you can do as much or as little walking and climbing as you wish.

A mention of the European train system. I am now remembering one of our train rides that was most uncomfortable. This was in Barcelona, however. We were riding from the Montserrat Monastery back to Barcelona and unfortunately got in a car with 25 or so cyclist. We were crammed in that car and had everything from sweaty armpits to bicycle spokes in our faces. :eek: The entire car smelled like B.O. Most miserable train ride ever! LOL

OP, enjoy your excursion. :)

Anyone able to advise on the Celebrity Itinerary for the Cinqueterre tour.

The coach I assume drops you off at Manarola and you take ferry or train to the other villages. The question I have

- Where did the coach finally pick you up for the return back to the ship and do you remember the pick up time?