Flight out of FLL

Can I make a 10 AM flight out of FLL getting off of the Oasis of the Seas?

Thanks,

If you do self-assist disembarkation (carry off your own bags), you should be able to make it to the airport before 8am.

We did a 8:55 flight. We were up early and were one of the first off the ship. We did self assist and carried our own luggage. We made it to the airport by 7:30. However, if anything would have gone wrong.....We probably would not have. I doubt I will book a flight this early again. It's just not worth the worries to save time and money.

We did a 8:55 flight. We were up early and were one of the first off the ship. We did self assist and carried our own luggage. We made it to the airport by 7:30. However, if anything would have gone wrong.....We probably would not have. I doubt I will book a flight this early again. It's just not worth the worries to save time and money.

8:55am flight I don't know if the stress is worth that just to save a few bucks.

The earliest flight I ever took was 1215. It was nice to be able to take my time getting off the ship and not having to worry

Yes, it can be done. Factors to consider: time of year and number of ships in port (you will want a readily available taxi and few back ups), number of passengers in your party, being able to handle your luggage (you usually are required to have one free hand to use on escalator...you can use elevator but wait can be time consuming), and whether it is a vacation or week breaker if you miss it (you want the right attitude...if you miss it, you must be willing to be comfortable rescheduling). That being said, we have made a 10:00 am flight getting off of Oasis.

Edited by cruisers103
wrong quote

I don't know what FLL rules are but remember airports have a cut off time for checked luggage. Usually about 45 minutes so you would need to be there and checked by 9:15. It is a easy jaunt to the airport ONCE you get a cab which there is a line so any snag and you may not make it. To tight for me but it's your vacation :D I prefer not to end one with that much stress. Last cruise was 12:55 out of Orlando which is an hour drive from the port but we almost didn't even make that due to delay disembark for the ship.

BonVoyage

Dawna

Delta changed out flight from 12:45 to 10:45 on Oasis for July 4th. Not much I can do about that. I booked a good time and they changed it on me. Going to go with it I guess and hope for the best. I'm kinda in the same boat as you.:(

I would opt for self-assist disembarkation now.

If you're on Delta, keep in mind that they won't let you go through security at FLL until 2 hours before your flight (at least that used to be the case--someone will correct me if that has changed). If that is still the case, and you have a flight anytime after noon, you'll spend a lot of time just sitting in the main lobby, where there is free wifi, but not much else. So that may impact people's thinking on what time they book their flight for...

If you're on Delta, keep in mind that they won't let you go through security at FLL until 2 hours before your flight (at least that used to be the case--someone will correct me if that has changed). If that is still the case, and you have a flight anytime after noon, you'll spend a lot of time just sitting in the main lobby, where there is free wifi, but not much else. So that may impact people's thinking on what time they book their flight for...

Where exactly did you find that policy. I looked at both Delta and Ft Lauderdale airport and don't see that policy. Actually I don't see why TSA would care as long as your travels are for that day.

Shak

Delta changed out flight from 12:45 to 10:45 on Oasis for July 4th. Not much I can do about that. I booked a good time and they changed it on me. Going to go with it I guess and hope for the best. I'm kinda in the same boat as you.:(

When Delta changes your flight times by more than an hour, you can typically change flights for free, so feel free to call with your ideal flights in mind and they'll put you on it!

That's not really true. Generally speaking, when the airline makes that big of a change to your itinerary, they will allow you to change it one time without paying a change fee, or get a refund. Call them and see if there is a later flight option. Of course the flip side is that there may not be a later flight with available seats for many, many hours, but I would at least call and ask.

Note: It's possible that if you are on a consolidator ticket, you will not have this option.

If you're on Delta, keep in mind that they won't let you go through security at FLL until 2 hours before your flight (at least that used to be the case--someone will correct me if that has changed).

Actually, for Delta at FLL I believe it is 3 hours, not 2 hours. Prior to that, you cannot check your luggage, and on cruise departure days they usually have a Delta employee out in front of the counters checking to make sure you are not getting in line too early.

Where exactly did you find that policy. I looked at both Delta and Ft Lauderdale airport and don't see that policy. Actually I don't see why TSA would care as long as your travels are for that day.

I don't know whether TSA sets the policy, or Delta, or the FLL airport authority, but there is only so much space inside the terminal and if they didn't restrict pax to some degree you could end up with way too many people. Also, if everyone could check their bags and go through security at 9am, even if their flight wasn't til 3pm, imagine the problems at TSA when pax with 10 or 11am flights can't get through the line because there are 600 people lined up who don't fly out for another 6 hours?! :D

(Never mind the limited concessions and restroom facilities there, so yeah, it does matter how early you are allowed to check your bags and proceed through security. :))

Actually, for Delta at FLL I believe it is 3 hours, not 2 hours. Prior to that, you cannot check your luggage, and on cruise departure days they usually have a Delta employee out in front of the counters checking to make sure you are not getting in line too early.

I don't know whether TSA sets the policy, or Delta, or the FLL airport authority, but there is only so much space inside the terminal and if they didn't restrict pax to some degree you could end up with way too many people. Also, if everyone could check their bags and go through security at 9am, even if their flight wasn't til 3pm, imagine the problems at TSA when pax with 10 or 11am flights can't get through the line because there are 600 people lined up who don't fly out for another 6 hours?! :D

(Never mind the limited concessions and restroom facilities there, so yeah, it does matter how early you are allowed to check your bags and proceed through security. :))

I would think at one of those sites you mention (TSA, Delta, or FLL) would have that policy listed.

Since Delta is not the only carrier do the others have the same policy?

Shak

Edited by Shak

Shak

You're right. I just made it up. :rolleyes:

As someone else mentioned, it's not posted anywhere. It's just from experience; it's happened to me 3 times. Space inside security by the gates at FLL is limited and this is how they do crowd control I guess. From what I've heard, Delta is the only airline at FLL that has this policy, as the other terminals have more space.

Edited by bluegirlum

no way

You're right. I just made it up. :rolleyes:

As someone else mentioned, it's not posted anywhere. It's just from experience; it's happened to me 3 times. Space inside security by the gates at FLL is limited and this is how they do crowd control I guess. From what I've heard, Delta is the only airline at FLL that has this policy, as the other terminals have more space.

From your experience if I arrive at FLL at 10am with a flight at 2pm with my boarding pass printed and no checked luggage who is going to not allow me to go through?

Shak

From your experience if I arrive at FLL at 10am with a flight at 2pm with my boarding pass printed and no checked luggage who is going to not allow me to go through?

Shak

The security people.

If you're on Delta, keep in mind that they won't let you go through security at FLL until 2 hours before your flight (at least that used to be the case--someone will correct me if that has changed).

We flew US Airways in January and we could clear security soon as we arrived, even though the flight wasn't til 5:00.

From our experience, we came off of Indy and they had THREE customs stations operating for the entire ship. Regardless of what time you were due to disembark, they held everyone as the line crept forward. Clearing customs took longer than the ride to the airport.

The security people.

That's interesting. I reviewed my trip from last July on the Oasis. We flew Delta and our flight was at 1:40pm. I know we got to the airport around 9:30am. We use RCI Luggage Valet so we had no checked bags and our boarding pass was printed. When we arrived we went directly through security and I didn't notice and signs, hear any announcements, or was asked to wait before going through the TSA check point.

I have another trip for this fall from FLL so I'll have to keep an eye on others observations.

Shak

That's interesting. I reviewed my trip from last July on the Oasis. We flew Delta and our flight was at 1:40pm. I know we got to the airport around 9:30am. We use RCI Luggage Valet so we had no checked bags and our boarding pass was printed. When we arrived we went directly through security and I didn't notice and signs, hear any announcements, or was asked to wait before going through the TSA check point.

I have another trip for this fall from FLL so I'll have to keep an eye on others observations.

Shak

We've probably flown out of FLL a dozen times. Last March was the first time we were prevented from going through security before some certain time (can't remember) before our flight.

When there's a will, there's a way. It can be done!

We once had an unexpected involuntary schedule change with our airline. Our noon flight became a 9 am flight. We opted to choose this flight instead of waiting for the next one at 6 pm.

We lined up for self-assist disembarkation at 7 am. The line got quite long. After being the second couple to leave the ship when disembarkation began at 8, we zipped right through passport control, hopped into a taxi and made it to our gate at FLL by 830 with carry-ons, no checked luggage and electronic boarding passes in hand.

Would we do it again? Yes, but only if absolutely necessary. Otherwise, it's not worth the stress.

10 am is still pushing it. One never knows what could happen, i.e. late arrival, operational snafus, etc.

We usually look for flights ex-FLL in the 11 am - 1 pm time frame.

Good luck!

When there's a will, there's a way. It can be done!

We once had an unexpected involuntary schedule change with our airline. Our noon flight became a 9 am flight. We opted to choose this flight instead of waiting for the next one at 6 pm.

We lined up for self-assist disembarkation at 7 am. The line got quite long. After being the second couple to leave the ship when disembarkation began at 8, we zipped right through passport control, hopped into a taxi and made it to our gate at FLL by 830 with carry-ons, no checked luggage and electronic boarding passes in hand.

Would we do it again? Yes, but only if absolutely necessary. Otherwise, it's not worth the stress.

10 am is still pushing it. One never knows what could happen, i.e. late arrival, operational snafus, etc.

We usually look for flights ex-FLL in the 11 am - 1 pm time frame.

Good luck!

Self assist on Oasis is an hr earlier

I would think at one of those sites you mention (TSA, Delta, or FLL) would have that policy listed.

Since Delta is not the only carrier do the others have the same policy?

Shak

The FLL airport website indicates that check in time is up the individual airline. I have no idea what other airline policies are, but the only other airline to use T2 at FLL is Air Canada I believe, and they have a very minimal presence there. For all intents and purposes, T2 is all Delta. As such, the policy is clearly designed to regulate traffic flow. As I mentioned before, can you imagine the huge lines at check in and TSA if all the cruise pax with afternoon flights were allowed to check in at 9am for instance? The people with 10 and 11 am flights would never get through in time, and the airside part of the terminal would be like a sardine can. Perhaps they don't have the policy listed because it varies according to the amount of cruise ship traffic, and DL doesn't want to have to monitor and change their posted policy every time a cruise line changes the cruise schedule.