Flight out of FLL

Went on Oasis in February. USAIR changed my 1pm flight to a 1020 AM with no other option so we had to take it. It was awful. We never would have made it if people hadn't let us cut in line getting off the ship, going through customs, and going through security! The major delay was getting through customs. Even if you carry your luggage off, you can run into delays.

I just went to the Delta web site. 10:45 is the latest flight. Looks like the later flights have all been canceled. I don't know what else to do. My later flight that I originally booked is just gone. I guess we are just going to have to do our best and hope we make it. :(

If we miss it what will the do? I've never missed a flight before.

Off of Liberty last month, we had a 3:45pm flight from FLL on Air Canada. We arrived at the airport at about 10am. Check-in was quick and we were able to go through security at that time. However, the ticketing agent at the Air Canada counter told us that is was still too early to place our luggage on the conveyor belt at that time. So she did check in our luggage and placed the tags on them, then, placed them together against a wall and stuck a sign with our flight number just above. She said they were probably going to get lots more luggage to add to the "hold here for a bit" pile. But they would take care of putting them on the conveyor at the proper time.

I was a little leery about leaving our luggage there but everything worked out in the end.

As for a 10am flight... It would cause me a great deal of worries and would prefer not to end a vacation like that, but if given the choice between that or no vacation at all, I'd probably go for it but travel insurance might be advisable.

dp

You're right. I just made it up. :rolleyes:

As someone else mentioned, it's not posted anywhere. It's just from experience; it's happened to me 3 times. Space inside security by the gates at FLL is limited and this is how they do crowd control I guess. From what I've heard, Delta is the only airline at FLL that has this policy, as the other terminals have more space.

I can confirm that this happened to us as well. But we weren't on Delta. We were leaving from FLL on United. They had jacked with our original 11(ish) return flight to the point that they'd pushed it up to before 10 a.m. I got worried before our cruise and had them move us to the next flight out, which unfortunately was 1:30(ish). (This was late 2013 so forgive me but I don't remember the exact times now). We ended up at the airport super early hoping we could change to the early fight, but unfortunately the early flight was full. We were so early we were not allowed to pass thru security. We sat in the uncomfortable holding area just inside the front door of FLL until 2 hours before our flight when we were finally allowed to pass thru TSA security checkpoint.

Where exactly did you find that policy. I looked at both Delta and Ft Lauderdale airport and don't see that policy. Actually I don't see why TSA would care as long as your travels are for that day.

Shak

SW and USAir is the same way- your flight needs to be within a certain time frame to be able to check it.

It lessens the line for people who truly have to catch a flight within that two hours

That's interesting. I reviewed my trip from last July on the Oasis. We flew Delta and our flight was at 1:40pm. I know we got to the airport around 9:30am. We use RCI Luggage Valet so we had no checked bags and our boarding pass was printed. When we arrived we went directly through security and I didn't notice and signs, hear any announcements, or was asked to wait before going through the TSA check point.

I have another trip for this fall from FLL so I'll have to keep an eye on others observations.

Shak

I was relaying my experiences. If that wasn't the same for you, then great. Again, why would I make this up? I have no personal interest in how anyone spends their time at the airport. I don't come on CC just to boost my post count or give people purposefully misleading advice. This has been my experience and I was trying to help. It's nice that you had nothing else to do than to go out and try to prove me wrong, especially when other people confirmed that this was their experience too. :eek:

Delta changed out flight from 12:45 to 10:45 on Oasis for July 4th.

I just went to the Delta web site. 10:45 is the latest flight. Looks like the later flights have all been canceled.

Where are you flying? I can assure you that Delta has not canceled all flights out of FLL after 10:45am. Maybe they are full, maybe you had a nonstop to a city with limited nonstop service, but I can practically guarantee you that there are later flights that will get you where you are going. So... what was your original flight itinerary for that day? I will be happy to give check and give you a suggestion as to what you can ask Delta for if you call them.

Oh, one last question- from whom did you purchase your airline ticket? Delta? Choice Air? Other?

Edited by waterbug123

That's interesting. I reviewed my trip from last July on the Oasis. We flew Delta and our flight was at 1:40pm. I know we got to the airport around 9:30am. We use RCI Luggage Valet so we had no checked bags and our boarding pass was printed. When we arrived we went directly through security and I didn't notice and signs, hear any announcements, or was asked to wait before going through the TSA check point.

I have another trip for this fall from FLL so I'll have to keep an eye on others observations.

Shak

It's true about not being able to get into the gates at FLL (esp with Delta) too early, due to lack of seating space. On my Independence cruise back in Dec. 2013, my flight out of FLL was scheduled for around 1pm & I was able to pass through security after getting at the airport around 10:00am. However, my aunt & uncle had a much later flight, like around 3:30pm, & had to wait by the ticketing counter area until around the time my fight pulled away from the gate (even though they got to the airport shortly after I did).