Take Baby Jogger city mini to Bermuda?

mobu2015

Hi all,

My husband and I will be taking our 18 month old son on his first cruise in June. We are heading to Bermuda for 3 days on the NCL Breakaway. We have a very low key itinerary planned since I will be 5 months pregnant at the time. We are inclined to skip taking the stroller, which is small but not an umbrella stroller (City Mini) since our son is not into sitting in it for long periods and it will be cumbersome on busses.

I'm just wondering if anyone has experience skipping the stroller at this age or is this a big no-no? My husband would have no issues carrying our son if he got tired but would the stroller come in handy in restaurants (in case there's no highchair) or as a last resort for napping?

We don't really want to buy an umbrella stroller especially for this trip as we live in an apartment and space is at a premium.

Any advice?

My kids took it on an Alaska cruise last year with their 20 month old and it worked out great even on the ship. He could fall asleep and they could sit and have a later dinner or just roam the ship. On outings they had no trouble with save hiking a mountain. Folded up in room or go under bed on RCC ship.

Do any of your friends have strollers they would be willing to lend you? We took two cruises with our toddler when he was small, and borrowed a BOB from a friend for our first cruise when he was 24 months. It was a real lifesaver, but that cruise involved a lot of walking and travel since it was a Panama Canal cruise and it involved touring the city of Cartagena, as well as a lot of walking/strolling in the other ports. Our second cruise was when my son was 3.5. He had outgrown a stroller at home, but this was a Baltic cruise so the umbrella stroller was a lifesaver, since we were able to stroll him through the Hermitage and other museums with a ton of walking so he didn't get tired or cranky.

If you think that your stroller is too large/bulky for the amount of touring you are planning on doing, I would either borrow a stroller from a friend or rent one. We are generally happy with our maclaren volo. It is lightweight, portable and easy to fold. The only real downside is that there is very little storage, and it can tip if you put a lot of weight on the back handles so you need to be careful about that.

Please note that it can be challenging to use a stroller on the ship, since the hallways are often blocked by housekeeping carts, and you need to fold up your stroller to pass. I tried to do reconnaissance to see which direction (if any) was clear so I could reach the elevator and if not only loaded my son and our belongings after passing the housekeeping cart.

The other option would be to purchase a cheap umbrella stroller at Walmart to use just for the cruise and donate it to charity after the cruise ends.

But ultimately it is up to you as to whether or not the tours your are planning would require a stroller, and if your husband can physically baby wear your child.

Edited by kitkat343

Thanks everyone!

Trend, that's a good tip to put the city mini under the bed! Glad to know your kids found it useful on the ahip, that might actually convince us to take it even if we don't bring it into port!

Gymbomb, yes I had read that about only umbrella strollers on the busses which is what made us think we should leave it at home. It's a small profile stroller less than 25 lbs and folds like a book and quite small for a non-umbrella stroller but since we don't know how stringent the rules are on bermuda busses we didn't want to bring it and not be able to use it.

Kitka343, thanks for the recommendation for the McLaren volo! I am hesitant to get an umbrella stroller bc we have a baby on the way and will most likely get a new stroller to accomodate both kids and if I were to get an umbrella I wouldn't go for a cheapie I'd probably lean towards a McLaren or the like since we are tough on our strollers and do a lot of walking and travelling. Our city mini has already gone on 7 rt flights with us in the last 18 months. I will ask around maybe my SIL has one I could borrow.

Thanks all!

Essie's mom - thanks! Those would normally be great suggestions and I'm not trying to be a Debbie downer but being pregnant and running after a toddler has given me little time or energy. I may check out Once Upon a Child I've heard they have good quality second hand items but there is still the issue of space in our apartment. I will try to borrow first though if we decide not to take our city mini. Perhaps I'm overthinking all of this...hmmm.

Edited by mobu2015