NCL Mexican Riviera

Hello Fellow Travelers,

I am scoping out a Mexican cruise in 2017 and wanted some feedback on dates etc. I am looking at getting a suite due the pricing levels.

I am looking at either Feb, Mar or Apr of 2017, I am thinking of Feb as its lower pricing. Should the weather be ok? I also want to avoid spring break time (Marchand April).

Any feedback would be appreciated.

We just did the Mexican Riviera on the Star April 5-12. There were a LOT of kids on board, over 1000, so I'd agree to skip late March and early April. Also, that late in the season the whales have mostly migrated north if you want to go whale watching. The weather was great, warm to hot in Mexico, cool on the way back to LA.

We also did this cruise in February a few years ago. The stops in Mexico were quite warm while again the days to and from LA were very cool to cold and only the hardiest souls were out by the pool on the sea days. The weather in Mexico is dry up until about April when their rainy season starts. If I had my choice I would take late February or early March.

We just did the Mexican Riviera on the Star April 5-12. There were a LOT of kids on board, over 1000, so I'd agree to skip late March and early April. Also, that late in the season the whales have mostly migrated north if you want to go whale watching. The weather was great, warm to hot in Mexico, cool on the way back to LA.

We also did this cruise in February a few years ago. The stops in Mexico were quite warm while again the days to and from LA were very cool to cold and only the hardiest souls were out by the pool on the sea days. The weather in Mexico is dry up until about April when their rainy season starts. If I had my choice I would take late February or early March.

Thank you for the information - the cool weather on sea days do not bother me as much as I like to sit out in the Sun when it is cooler. Perfect. I agree, late Feb would probably be the best as to avoid the KIDS! LOL.

Hello Fellow Travelers,

I am scoping out a Mexican cruise in 2017 and wanted some feedback on dates etc. I am looking at getting a suite due the pricing levels.

I am looking at either Feb, Mar or Apr of 2017, I am thinking of Feb as its lower pricing. Should the weather be ok? I also want to avoid spring break time (Marchand April).

Just stay away from March altogether. Late april is fine and Feb should be great. We did the Riv in early Feb one year, the weather was awesome. On the other hand, we have done the gulf side a couple of times in Jan and Feb and not had wonderful weather.

It's hard to figure out when spring break is. Some schools take them beginning of Mar and some do them at the end of Mar. Some states have year round schooling; so those kids could be on a cruise at different times of year. Don't worry about the kids; just book a cruise that you want and go with the flow.

I agree. We have taken 2 NCL cruises to MR and loved both of them. We had an aft suite and a forward suite . Personally, we liked the forward suite on the pool deck.

Patti

I am looking at either Feb, Mar or Apr of 2017, I am thinking of Feb as its lower pricing. Should the weather be ok? I also want to avoid spring break time (March and April).

So, you're looking at February then?

Enjoy your cruise! We did MR in Feb and got upgraded to a DOS on deck 12. We have done the SJ on 12 as well. Both are terrific!

In Mazatlan we just found a tour after we disembarked, very reasonable and lots of fun! And lots cheaper than the official excursions!

So, you're looking at February then?

Most likely ... I through out the other months to get feedback from other people who may have gone those months, but yes most likely February and wanted to gauge people's experiences for that month as well

Thank you

You will,also,have a better chance of seeing whales in February and March! :). We booked late January 2017 because of this. :)

Saw whales on the northbound leg this past December. At one point it appeared as if a group was swimming along with us for miles. I didn't get pictures... my good camera was in the cabin and I wasn't going back to get it. Instead, I just stayed and watched them for about half an hour breach over and over at what appeared to be about a couple hundred yards of the bow. Absolutely amazing sight. Small regret that I have no pics, but so happy I just remained there in the moment and watched.

Edited by triptolemus

Saw whales on the northbound leg this past December. At one point it appeared as if a group was swimming along with us for miles. I didn't get pictures... my good camera was in the cabin and I wasn't going back to get it. Instead, I just stayed and watched them for about half an hour breach over and over at what appeared to be about a couple hundred yards of the bow. Absolutely amazing sight. Small regret that I have no pics, but so happy I just remained there in the moment and watched.

Yaaaaah! That is what I am hoping for! :). Thanks for sharing!