What an amazing ship

vicky2015

Hopefully the lifts will be no problem for me as my cabin is on Lido deck and basically i will travelling between there and decks 7/6/5. If the lifts are working, no way i could walk 8 decks :eek:

It wont be as bad as midships as there are stairs as well. However unlike say Ventura/Azura there are quite a lot of places to go on the Lido Deck, The Library, Marlow Suite, Ivory Suite, Epicurean and the most visited place in that area The Crows Nest so there is a fair bit of traffic up and down.. The lifts are still too small at that end and again annoyingly you have to press the lift button on both sides of the hallway to call all 4 lifts. However, it isnt going to be the nightmare that the midships lift issue is.

One big advantage is you have just one floor up to get to the lovely Serenity Pool and Bar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If people are concerned about the lift issue either go at forward or aft of the ship for stairs or lifts and there are other ships that will work better for them that they can use so it's probably best to use them and there will be less complaints as you no what your booking from the brochure pictures in the book

Edited by vicky2015

If people are concerned about the lift issue either go at forward or aft of the ship for stairs or lifts and there are other ships that will work better for them that they can use so it's probably best to use them and there will be less complaints as you no what your booking from the brochure pictures in the book

Dont quite follow that logic. Yes having experienced the lift issue we can now choose other ships in preference to Britannia if we wish. However nobody knows from a brochure or photos that lifts may be out of order, lifts are quite small, the programming of lifts is illogical or non existent and they are very busy causing long wait times. Yes people can walk but Britannia is a very big ship and distances are long so having to walk in the oppostie direction to use fore or aft lifts to then retrace your steps back to get to the location you were heading on a different deck every time you make a journey on board isnt particularly practical or enjoyable, not to mention pretty impossible for mobility impaired passengers.

Its great you enjoyed your cruise, we did too, but the lifts had a big impact on our enjoyment.

When my Dad had mobility issues I would have taken that fact into serious consideration when choosing a cruise and particularly such as large ship as Britannia.

Even with lifts working well wheelchair users are still inconvenienced and I accept cause an inconvenience to others.

My decision then to still cruise on Britannia would then be made accepting such a larger ship would be more problematic than a smaller one. The pro's in my view outweighing con's. Life for those with mobility issues is unfortunately never going to be easy and I certainly wouldn't expect P&O or any other cruise line to do any more than they already do.

The fact that so many disabled passengers can cruise these days compared to 20 years ago goes to show companies are far more disable aware.

In summary, I'd put up with the inconvenience just to be with my Dad and not constantly moan about the lack of a central staircase and small lifts.

When my Dad had mobility issues I would have taken that fact into serious consideration when choosing a cruise and particularly such as large ship as Britannia.

Even with lifts working well wheelchair users are still inconvenienced and I accept cause an inconvenience to others.

My decision then to still cruise on Britannia would then be made accepting such a larger ship would be more problematic than a smaller one. The pro's in my view outweighing con's. Life for those with mobility issues is unfortunately never going to be easy and I certainly wouldn't expect P&O or any other cruise line to do any more than they already do.

The fact that so many disabled passengers can cruise these days compared to 20 years ago goes to show companies are far more disable aware.

In summary, I'd put up with the inconvenience just to be with my Dad and not constantly moan about the lack of a central staircase and small lifts.

If that was directed at my comments then a) I posted a very balanced review of our Britannia cruise, albeit marred by the lift issue and b) the ship size is irrelevant as long as they have effective, appropriately sized and programmed lifts. We have been on Indeoendance Of The Seas which is a similar size to Britannia and had no issue with lifts. Its a design issue. I would also question whether someones view would be the same if they stood with their wheelchair bound Mum and Mum in law for 25 minutes waiting to get a lift to dinner. Where do you stop with this, if 25 mins is acceptable is 45 mins, an hour. To me 5 mins is reasonable.

I'm not quite sure where you get 25 minutes waiting time for a lift on the Britannia ship to be honest we were always using the lifts going here and there and never waited that long 5 minutes at most yes technical issues but bear in mind that ship has only been on a few cruises gotta give it a bit longer so they can address issues

I'm not quite sure where you get 25 minutes waiting time for a lift on the Britannia ship to be honest we were always using the lifts going here and there and never waited that long 5 minutes at most yes technical issues but bear in mind that ship has only been on a few cruises gotta give it a bit longer so they can address issues

The last evening or so when we went to see the passenger choir. We had two mums, both in wheelchairs. Despite leaving the cabin 20 mins before the start we arrived after they had begun due to not being able to get in a lift.

Although 25 mins was longer than we experienced there were some very extended waits on deck 4 midships when returning from shore visits.

Of the 6 lifts in this section 1 was always out of service and 2 were programmed to go no lower than deck 5 or 6, which meant everyone was waiting for 3 lifts and the queues were often very extensive.

My wife uses a wheelchair so we have no choice but to wait for a lift and midships is the dedicated wheelchair gangway because sometimes the forward gangway is set up as steps. But it did surprise me how few people were actually prepared to use the stairs, because once on deck 5 you can then go forward or aft to the other lifts or stairs.

Overall its not a deal breaker since you are on holiday, but it might be worth using the shoreside toilets though just in case you have a long wait.;)