Fire at Fiumicino International Terminal 7 May 2015

lisiamc

That is terrible to read. I just left from T3 under a week ago (on Alitalia, so I didn't have to do the stupid T5 visit). The place is always extremely busy. I will be "interesting" how FCO adapts with the coming of the even busier tourist season. Good thoughts go out for them.

Glad everyone is okay and I hope they are able to get T3 up and running again soon.

My only experience leaving from FCO was last October and it went very smooth - but we arrived at the airport about 7:45 AM after doing self disembarkation/walk off at 6:15 AM from the Serenade. I was expecting a bad experience and it was great - even my TSA precheck got applied to my US Air flight so I breezed through :D

It's going to be a mess there for quite a while, unfortunately.

Those cheap fares to Milan are looking better and better ... I wonder if those fares will go up as traffic shifts?

Fares via MXP may creep already due to EXPO. I could see Trenitalia upping the price, too, to get from Milan to Rome. You'd have to be sure you didn't need a hotel in Milan - EXPO is sapping the inventory and hoteliers aren't shy about raising the prices, either.

Too bad about the duty-free area of T3; I believe they had just redone/updated it in the last 2 years. I bought a couple bottles of wine there the other week to bring home (some that I knew I couldn't get at my State Store here at home).

Edited by slidergirl

There are photos and video with this article. It looks like it was quite a big fire! I'm glad no one was killed.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/travelnews/article-3071758/Chaos-Rome-airport-two-storey-high-flames-engulfed-terminal-leaving-thousands-passengers-stranded.html

Hmmm.... will be following this.

I have friends that are scheduled to fly in to FCO/Rome in a few days.

Was just there. We flew out on Saturday (the 9th) morning.

We heard of the fire while still on the ship (we disembarked on Friday the 8th) ….. wasnt sure what to expect.

The T3 terminal was pretty much a goner…… we caught a glimpse as we drove by on our way to T5.

They had closed the entire airport for pretty much a day and a half…. then reopened and shifted some flights from T3 to the other terminals.

Now for the good news.

We had the easiest time this trip of any of our 5 trips !!!!!

Check in was a breeze……security went smoothly and quickly and then onto the bus to the gate.

Needless to say we were pleasantly surprised :D

That's good to hear and it makes sense, flights that check in at T5 and depart from the "G" gates out on the pod shouldn't be impacted.

I'd love to hear from someone who has arrived into FCO on an international flight, because that's the area that burned ... where the monorail drops you off.