Iguaza Falls; Machu Picchu Worth the time / cost - (Really, not that everyone says...

ljones

What's the truth about these 2? Were either of these really one of the greatest sites ever or just...

If either was awe inspiring - the best ever...a can't be missed experience, I'd like to know why. Not saying they are not cause I simply don't know.

I can't help with the falls as I have not been yet (going next Feb) but Machu Pichu and the whole region is well worth a visit. I was unsure before we went as I did not know if I would enjoy it but I rank it as one of the best places I have been to along with the pyramids in Egypt, the grand canyon etc.

The people were lovely and their culture so different from our own and the scenery and location were fabulous.

Sorry, but the question seems kind of silly. "Truth" in this case is relative and individual. Are you ticking off boxes on a bucket list?

Machu Pichu and the surrounding area of the country are a destination to explore, a place to plan to fly to for the experience if the culture appeals to your imagination.

The falls, if you happen to be in Brazil or Argentina (especially if you have paid the visa/reciprocity fees for other parts of the trip) are a spectacular side trip. From São Paulo, you can fly there for about U$65, and spend a couple of days on both sides of the park.

Maybe Paris or Bali would be "one of the greatest" places ever for you.

Truth is what a person really believes rather than being 'correct' in going along with group speak. I believe the rest of the post explained that. Perhaps you missed that in your rush to be judgmental.

Edited by ljones

Truth is what a person really believes rather than being 'correct' in going along with group speak. I believe the rest of the post explained that. Perhaps you missed that in your rush to be judgmental.

So is it therefore "a verified or indisputable fact, proposition, principle" (truth) that climbing Everest is a "can't be missed" experience--if applied to my eighty-five year old auntie who believes it to be so?

You may understand that places make their way into guide books for a reason. Is that the definition of group speak......? There is little difference IMO in the opinion of a dozen people you don't know who wrote books and a dozen people you don't know on a forum who didn't but visited the locations mentioned in them.

You have told us nothing about what you like or value, so I can make NO judgement, let alone a rushed one. That was the point.

Pay attention to the body of what I wrote about the two destinations if you want just one more opinion.

Edited by VidaNaPraia

Woodley -

Did you take a private excursion as it sounds (if so with whom & for how many days total) or did you go through the cruise line? Would it be a difficult excursion for someone w/ a knee issue?

Thanks.

In my pre retirement work life I took university students to Argentina as part of a study abroad program. University students can be very cranky if they are bored. I can't recall a single cranky student during our jaunts to Iguazu.

Without getting bogged down in the great "what is truth" debate, I will just say that in my experience Iguazu never fails to disappoint. I'd rank it with the Grand Canyon, Denali, the ancient redwood forests of California and the Norwegian fjords as some of the most awe inspiring spots in nature that I have visited. Well worth the time/expense, particularly if you are already in the area.

in my experience Iguazu never fails to disappoint. I'd rank it with the Grand Canyon, Denali, the ancient redwood forests of California and the Norwegian fjords as some of the most awe inspiring spots in nature that I have visited. Well worth the time/expense, particularly if you are already in the area.

I agree. And I recommend looking at pictures to see for yourself whether you deem the two places worthy of the expense.

Iguassu Falls are ok for people with knee problems.

Machu Pichu can be a problem if you have serious knee issues because the visit involves lots of uneven steps.

By the way, we went to the falls on our own before a cruise, much less expensive and easy to arrange. And we went to Machu Pichu in a separate trip, also less expensive than with a cruise line. We had much more time in Peru. Arrangements (hotels, trains, busses, guides) were made for us by Escaped to Latin America.

Woodley -

Did you take a private excursion as it sounds (if so with whom & for how many days total) or did you go through the cruise line? Would it be a difficult excursion for someone w/ a knee issue?

Thanks.

We did the trip following a cruise on our own. We took a lot of advice from Greatam who posts on these boards. We booked a flight from Santiago to Cusco staying two nights in Cusco to get used to the altitude. The driver that picked us up from the airport took us to the train station to pick up our pre booked train tickets on our way to the hotel. Use the porters in the airport you will need them as the altitude really zaps you on arrival.

We stayed at the sanctuary lodge at machu pichu and whilst it was expensive it was well worth it. We were met at the station and taken to the hotel... seamless and we did not have to worry about any further charges for food , drinks, massages etc.

There is a lot of uneven terrain and up hill walking but due to the altitude taking it slowly depending on how bad your knee is could be manageable. My husband has trouble with his knees giving way sometimes and he managed OK. Using a wheelchair I do not think would be manageable.

We pre arranged a taxi to pick us up from the train and take us to our hotel on return to cusco and I am glad we had as it was dark when we got back.

We had 3 nights in Cusco two before we went to machu Pichu and one on our return and one at Sanctuary lodge at aguas caliante(sp), We caught the first flight to Cusco in the morning approx 6am we had been told later flights are often cancelled.

If you do a search for Greatams post you will find a wealth of very good accurate information.

We did the trip following a cruise on our own. We took a lot of advice from Greatam who posts on these boards. We booked a flight from Santiago to Cusco staying two nights in Cusco to get used to the altitude. The driver that picked us up from the airport took us to the train station to pick up our pre booked train tickets on our way to the hotel. Use the porters in the airport you will need them as the altitude really zaps you on arrival.

We stayed at the sanctuary lodge at machu pichu and whilst it was expensive it was well worth it. We were met at the station and taken to the hotel... seamless and we did not have to worry about any further charges for food , drinks, massages etc.

There is a lot of uneven terrain and up hill walking but due to the altitude taking it slowly depending on how bad your knee is could be manageable. My husband has trouble with his knees giving way sometimes and he managed OK. Using a wheelchair I do not think would be manageable.

We pre arranged a taxi to pick us up from the train and take us to our hotel on return to cusco and I am glad we had as it was dark when we got back.

We had 3 nights in Cusco two before we went to machu Pichu and one on our return and one at Sanctuary lodge at aguas caliante(sp), We caught the first flight to Cusco in the morning approx 6am we had been told later flights are often cancelled.

If you do a search for Greatams post you will find a wealth of very good accurate information.

Hi Woodley,

My parents are looking to possibly do what you did, Cusco for a couple of days and Machu Picchu, at the end of an 'Around the Horn' cruise...what time of year did you go and how was the weather. I do realize that the weather can change 'anytime, anywhere...but their visit would be first of March. Any input?

Christine

Always planning for my next cruise...

Hi Woodley,

My parents are looking to possibly do what you did, Cusco for a couple of days and Machu Picchu, at the end of an 'Around the Horn' cruise...what time of year did you go and how was the weather. I do realize that the weather can change 'anytime, anywhere...but their visit would be first of March. Any input?

Christine

We went in November, we only needed light clothing and a rain jacket. Although it did not rain there was a lot of low cloud or should I say we were in the clouds a lot, not sure what it would be like in March. It was not cold even in the evenings.

We went in November, we only needed light clothing and a rain jacket. Although it did not rain there was a lot of low cloud or should I say we were in the clouds a lot, not sure what it would be like in March. It was not cold even in the evenings.

Thanks for the speedy reply [emoji106]🏻[emoji2]

Christine

We are well travelled and in our opinion Iguazu/Iguassu/Iguacu Falls would probably rank as our number one WOW experience anywhere in the world. Machu Picchu is pretty amazing and worth doing, but there was something about Iguazu which put it right at the top. I think something to do with the fact it is dynamic and constantly changing, rather than static. And the sheer size of it. You should do both the Argentinian and Brazilian sides of the falls, as they are quite different views.

We are booked to return to Iguazu for a second visit next January (we were first there in December 2013), but we are unlikely to return to Machu Picchu, which we are just happy to have ticked off our bucket list!

But everyone is different and there is no predicting whether a place will have that same impact that Iguazu had on us.

Thanks for the informative posts. I suspected that Machu Picchu would not be a good choice from the cruiseline and would warrant more time & effort (& consideration - I don't have a bucket list of sites).

Iguaza Falls seems to have enchanted more people. I am preparing to book my flight to BA & was considering what dates to select. How people respond in their 'telling' about a place is very instructive.

Thanks much.

Edited by ljones

Thanks for the informative posts. I suspected that Machu Picchu would not be a good choice from the cruiseline and would warrant more time & effort (& consideration - I don't have a bucket list of sites).

Iguaza Falls seems to have enchanted more people. I am preparing to book my flight to BA & was considering what dates to select. How people respond in their 'telling' about a place is very instructive.

Thanks much.

A short fyi that differs from a previous comment...MP is at a lower altitude (7,972 ft) than Cuzco. Cuzco is about 11,000 ft and gave me an instant headache as I left the plane.

• 2 weeks later...
What's the truth about these 2? Were either of these really one of the greatest sites ever or just...

If either was awe inspiring - the best ever...a can't be missed experience, I'd like to know why. Not saying they are not cause I simply don't know.

Haven't been to MP yet. Iguazu twice, 1969 and then again a couple of months ago. Awesome.

Oops - I need to try a different approach to adding images here...

The following link may work - it will take you to a shot of the falls from the Brazilian side.

http://photos.stanhalpin.com/p32139821/e12f4d790

Edited by GottaKnowWhen
photo failure

Haven't been to MP yet. Iguazu twice, 1969 and then again a couple of months ago. Awesome.

Oops - I need to try a different approach to adding images here...

The following link may work - it will take you to a shot of the falls from the Brazilian side.

http://photos.stanhalpin.com/p32139821/e12f4d790

More information on the falls, Buenos Aires, etc. in my cruise review here:

http://click.email.cruisecritic.com/?qs=e2e909cae6c6702bea1b96e5f285ae8eb9a0f8cc8482c7b686d5565d917c63718904b6512de3c43e

That 2nd photo from the Brazilian side was amazing - did you visit both sides on the same day?

And thanks for the review...Volunteer Pt was more a highlight than the falls? Interesting - but a bumpy ride is most likely out for me even next year. Will also be cruising in late March so seeing Penguins from Ushuaia might be lacking as they are said to mostly leave by the end of February - how was the Zodiac ride? Last time I did one that was also not for a fragile back :( ...might give Gypsy Cove a try on the Falklands.

Edited by ljones

That 2nd photo from the Brazilian side was amazing - did you visit both sides on the same day?

Thanks. That shot was from the platform near the bottom of the elevator at the upper end of the trail.

The Argentine side was one 8-hour day, the Brazilian side another half day. I am not sure it would be physically possible to see both sides in one day. The Argentine side has more/longer trails, one day was comfortable.

And thanks for the review...Volunteer Pt was more a highlight than the falls? Interesting - but a bumpy ride is most likely out for me even next year. Will also be cruising in late March so seeing Penguins from Ushuaia might be lacking as they are said to mostly leave by the end of February - how was the Zodiac ride? Last time I did one that was also not for a fragile back :( ...might give Gypsy Cove a try on the Falklands.

The ride to Volunteer Point was very rough. I've driven or ridden over worse, but it is not a typical drive through the country side. The zodiac ride was quite smooth as I recall. It is a larger zodiac, 18-20 passengers, a roof structure on it... Disclaimer: I stood by the motorman in the back taking pictures coming and going so I wouldn't have noticed any roughness that seated passengers might have. But I wouldn't think it should be a problem.

By the way, we went to the falls on our own before a cruise, much less expensive and easy to arrange. And we went to Machu Pichu in a separate trip, also less expensive than with a cruise line. We had much more time in Peru. Arrangements (hotels, trains, busses, guides) were made for us by Escaped to Latin America.

Floridiana did you arrange shuttles service in BA and the Falls? We are going to visit the falls next March also booked everything on my own. Did you use a shuttle or hail a taxi?

Floridiana did you arrange shuttles service in BA and the Falls? We are going to visit the falls next March also booked everything on my own. Did you use a shuttle or hail a taxi?

Sherry, there is actually frequent and easy local public bus service from the town to the park entrance, passing by the airport. This is true for both the Argentine side and the Brazilian side. Taxis are not expensive, though, and may expedite the border crossing procedure slightly, although there is a local public bus that plies that route (from Puerto Iguazu, Argentina to Foz de Iguacu, Brazil) as well.

If you intend to do the Brazilian side, make sure you apply for a visa (if from US or Canada, etc) well in advance at your designated Brazilian Consulate; the process gets longer in anticipation of Carnaval, just before your visit.

We pre-arranged a pick-up with a 'remises' (limousine) in the international airport of BsAs via a website that responded to my husband's query in English.

We asked our hotel to call a taxi to go to the local airport in BsAs. At the airport in Puerto Iguacu, Argentina, a dispatcher with a desk in the terminal waited for tourists and assigned taxis. They were lined up outside. On the same day, we asked the hotel St. George, where we stayed, to arrange a taxi to take us to the Brazilian side and pick us again at a prearranged time.

On the following day, we took the public bus to the Argentinian side of the falls. The bus terminal is next to the hotel. We bought the tickets at one of the window with somebody who spoke English, not with the driver. We returned by public bus again. We had the St. George hotel call a taxi to take us back to the airport the following day.

After we arrived in BsAs, we stood in line to get a taxi in front of the local airport. The first driver looked confused at us and we let him take the Argentinian family behind us in line. The next driver, although he spoke only 3 words of English and I speak about 10, took us safely to our hotel. We had left our suitcases in the BsAs hotel, just took the board cases with us to the hotel St. George.

Gypsy Cove was great. Fewer penguins than at some of our other stops, but closer to nests. We paid a local 15 bucks to take us out and back. He works at the Range Rover dealership and moonlights by picking up small groups of cruisers.

The Zodiac ride at the falls did not bother my touchy back....but no way i would have tried Volunteer Point.