Phone call from NCL

I've never seen anything left in elevators but the trash cans in the elevator lobby seem to be a popular spot to leave plates or glasses.

I haven't really noticed that.

What I have noticed that drives me nuts is trays of dishes left in the hallways.

But since they trays are from room service, not being allowed to take food from restaurants or the buffet is not going to stop that.

This is depressing. I've gotten into the habit of getting coffee, tea and couple Danishes in the morning and taking them back to the cabin. With all the changes, after my Alaska cruise, the next one may be with another line.

I received a phone call from NCL Corporate regarding the email I sent to them last night. My inquiry was concerning the article Cruise Critic published. As stated on another thread, I received an email from them earlier ... and now the phone call. No food is allowed to be removed from the restaurants to take back to your cabin. That portion of the article is accurate. However, you can still get your food from the buffet and eat outside by the pool - not a problem at all with doing that.

Pretty impressed that I received a response via email and now by phone call.

Thanks for the info. This is great news. Those of us that use our butts to save our lounge chairs often eat breakfast and lunch there. I'm glad that can continue.

They just need more people to clean up. There is no excuse for the dishes to be laying around but it's not the passengers fault if the ship is not tidy. We are going on our first Norwegian cruise later this month but our 20th overall. I'm pretty sure it will be our last Norwegian.

We usually cruise with family/friends of the family and sometimes they will go to a specialty restaurant where I don't want to join them. I would rather get some food from the buffet and go sit on the stern balcony instead of sit by myself in the buffet. Much more relaxing to me.:D

We have 2 cruises in December and will see how this plays out by then.:)

What do you think is the real reason they have instituted this new policy?

Everything a cruise line does traces back to money. Do they think people will help themselves to less food if they cannot take it to their cabins? Or is it all about the new Room Service Fee, or both?

Cost savings:

- less wasted food

- less clean up for the crew

- $7.95 fee is to deter us from placing orders, they'd rather have less crew or have them do other things that generate real money.

Maybe its about the dirty plates and food all over the elevators and staircases, it can be disgusting.

I have a very good friend who got off the BA last week and said they would not allow them to take their leftovers from La Cuchina but they did send them to the room for her, NO FEE involved. So maybe they just are trying to avoid having food everywhere on the ship.

That is exactly the reason...finally someone figured it out!

Jancruz1

18 cruises and I have never seen dirty plates and food in elevators or on staircases.

Lois

We have been on four cruises with NCL, and at various times have seen dirty dishes and glasses in the hallways, in the elevator, at different spots around the pool area, and drink glasses anywhere there are seats and flat surfaces. Not stuff everywhere all at once, just odd stuff here and there. I would say my impression is that both the Spirit and the Dawn are clean ships. We saw stuff but it got picked up by staff pretty quickly.

The worst we saw was after the big chocolate extravaganza buffet. There were plates of partially eaten to practically untouched food everywhere for a short time. There were even plates on the stairs. It wasn't pretty.

Lorie

Edited by galensgrl

I haven't really noticed that.

What I have noticed that drives me nuts is trays of dishes left in the hallways.

But since they trays are from room service, not being allowed to take food from restaurants or the buffet is not going to stop that.

RS will probably now ask you to call them when you are through to pick them up from your cabin and not place them outside..

Jancruz1

We have been on four cruises with NCL, and at various times have seen dirty dishes and glasses in the hallways, in the elevator, at different spots around the pool area, and anywhere there are seats pretty much. Not all at once, I would say my impression is that both the Spirit and the Dawn are clean ships. We saw stuff but it got picked up by staff pretty quick. The worst we saw was after the big chocolate extravaganza buffet. There were plates of partially eaten to practically untouched food everywhere for a short time. It wasn't pretty.

Lorie

That is a staffing issue. I never see it on Princess (well, before Carnival took them over). I don't recall seeing it on RCCL ... both lines certainly allow you to bring food anywhere on the ship. I have seen empty glasses in rest rooms on NCL's ships. I don't recall seeing dirty plates all over the place, whether it's a spring break cruise, Christmas cruise, whatever type of cruise. Edited - I have seen room service trays in the hallways; however, I have also heard people say room service told them to put them there. They all can't be lying!

Edited by SissasMomE

Cost savings:

- less wasted food

- $7.95 fee is to deter us from placing orders, they'd rather have less crew or have them do other things that generate real money.

If less crew is required to work NCL ships as a result of all these changes, why the increase to the DSC? Their reasons don't make sense except that if we passengers do exactly as NCL wants us to, their bottomline would and should increase. Problem is ncl can't predict our behavior as easily as it thinks. I am not paying for room service despite all these changes. If others is want to give in, that's their prerogative but don't complain later when it becomes a permanent fixture in the cruise industry. The time to push back is now not later. Continuing to accept without question every policy change is only detrimental to the consumer. I am more interested in finding out the final result of all these changes than my next Ncl cruise. Sad...

I have a solution!! I think I'll bring my own Tupperware on the cruise, then every night, I'll order dessert, put it in the Tupperware and then give it to my wife to stuff in her giant purse....PROBLEM SOLVED!!! :D

Are coffee makers still in the cabins?

I never carried a big purse around the ship, just a wristlet. Looks like I'm going to need to on NCL.

Is the $7. charge for room service p.p. or cabin? Is it for even if you order a couple Danish or cereal?

What about the breakfast menu that u hang out on your door to pre-order breakfast?

Cost savings:

- less wasted food

If they plan to actually enforce this policy,the number of crew members dedicated to stopping people from taking food to their cabins will be huge.

That is exactly the reason...finally someone figured it out!

Jancruz1

Oh, please! We now know that we can take our buffet foods and eat them all around the pools and public places. But, we can't take leftovers from a PAID FOR specialty restaurant back to our rooms. And you REALLY think this policy is put in place because the people in the specialty restaurants are leaving their PAID FOR leftover desserts all over the stairwells, but the people eating around the pools are somehow discreetly disposing of their dishes? This new policy is simple...Del Rio wants there to be no food available to us in our rooms so that we either have to get dressed and venture out or resort to our conveniently priced room service to appease our appetites. Please, back away from the pom-poms;)

Is the $7. charge for room service p.p. or cabin? Is it for even if you order a couple Danish or cereal?

What about the breakfast menu that u hang out on your door to pre-order breakfast?

The continental breakfast on the hang tag is free of charge between 6:30-10 am . Not quite sure about the exact times. SO your cup/carafe of coffee and the danish are free. Just don't order off the main room service menu, where there will be the $7.95 charge.

I never carried a big purse around the ship, just a wristlet. Looks like I'm going to need to on NCL.

The breakfast menu that you hang on your door to pre-order breakfast is no charge up until 10 a.m.

The room service charge is per order.

Most cabins have coffee makers

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari

If they plan to actually enforce this policy,the number of crew members dedicated to stopping people from taking food to their cabins will be huge.

My guess would be that enforcement will be in the form of a "cleaning fee," if Housekeeping reports finding glasses and/or dishes in a cabin -- and there's no record of room service being ordered since the last room cleaning. So there will be even more dishes left in the passageways than before. And if they try to bill a similar fee to any cabin that happens to have dishes outside its door, there's going to be a lot of angry people visiting Guest Services.

Edited by CavalierX