Anchorage airport departure

travelin_nat

We are flying out of Anchorage at 5:00 am on 7/4/15. Most suggestions say to arrive 2 hours early, however some have said this is overkill for off-peak hours. So is our flight in peak time or slow time? Would rather be safe than sorry, but would also like to sleep as late as we can....

I would still recommend a 2 hour window. Are you also turning in a car? You can shave a few minutes off this time. But, all you'll have to do, is be short on time, then behind several people with crates of fish that all have to be weighed and logged, etc then have to get to the last gate in one of the concourses. If you aren't checking any bags then a little less time.

I would still recommend a 2 hour window. Are you also turning in a car? You can shave a few minutes off this time. But, all you'll have to do, is be short on time, then behind several people with crates of fish that all have to be weighed and logged, etc then have to get to the last gate in one of the concourses. If you aren't checking any bags then a little less time.

Thank you Budget Queen. I had no clue about the logging of the fish - now it makes complete sense.

Not renting a car. Unless there is another agency besides Hertz, there are no more cars available. Now the dilemma is whether we take a tour + airport shuttle from the cruise line, or book on the train ourselves. I've read that taking a bus is the least preferred option...

Not renting a car. Unless there is another agency besides Hertz, there are no more cars available. Now the dilemma is whether we take a tour + airport shuttle from the cruise line, or book on the train ourselves. I've read that taking a bus is the least preferred option...

There are other agencies besides Hertz. I just reserved a car for late May from National and there is plenty of availability for just 3 weeks from now.

There are other agencies besides Hertz. I just reserved a car for late May from National and there is plenty of availability for just 3 weeks from now.

Surgie - what agency are you using? I just checked Expedia and it is showing no cars available...

From where are you needing a car?

From Seward to Anchorage. I went ahead and booked the bus transport. I know it's not the preferred option, but we want to get to the hotel before 11:00 pm so we can get some sleep. Going to try to meet up with a friend in Anchorage and maybe catch the museum or something.

In the summer, the Anchorage airport is almost always busy...

Other than Alaska Air, a lot of the carriers just do one or two flights a day from Anchorage. So if you miss your flight, it may be a nightmare finding another. So I personally would err on the side of caution. If you get checked in and through security quickly, take some time to explore the art work on the 2nd level of the concourse.

In the summer, the Anchorage airport is almost always busy...

Other than Alaska Air, a lot of the carriers just do one or two flights a day from Anchorage. So if you miss your flight, it may be a nightmare finding another. So I personally would err on the side of caution. If you get checked in and through security quickly, take some time to explore the art work on the 2nd level of the concourse.

I noticed that. And it seems most flights leave late at night or in the middle of the night. Seems odd to me given the number of cruisers they must have flying out of there. We're just not up for a redeye flight. So....we'll take the bus to town so we can check in to the hotel and turn in early and get a few extra hours of sleep before we get up at (before) the crack of dawn. :D