Platinum members, your benefits are next...

[quote name='HectorAchilleus']This would not surprise me. They could then offer the "perk" of offering First to the Fun for sale to Plats/Diamonds before it goes to the general public. They will have to do something. Before FTTF, there would be 10-12 people in the lobby waiting for tendering. The last cruise we were on there were between 80-100, most of the FTTF people. They did not prioritize by diamonds, plats, etc. and we had to take the next tender- no big deal, but it shows how benefits to Plats/diamonds have already been diluted. In two of the last five cruises, the FTTF people boarded with the plats/diamonds even though being asked to wait. Again, no big deal - it just shows how all groups have been affected by the cutbacks.[/QUOTE]

It is hard to believe that some "adults" act like kids just because they purchased FTTF! I can understand not liking to have to wait on line but some people do not act respectfully to their fellow passengers and want to push everyone else out of the way. "Me", "me", "me".....FTTF does not give you a license to act badly.

MARAPRINCE

[quote name='eponym']
Agree, some fixed cost benefits/perks simply aren't directly ROI driven, like handing out ship pin novelties or chocolates on beds. Many of they offered benefits like on board laundry or expedited boarding have no additional costs.

It is not rocket science and whatever the offers/perks/benefits framework becomes, the Corporation overall will certainly be competitive.[/quote]

We're platinum on both Princess and Carnival. We don't really care about the chocolates, we tell our room steward that we don't want them. We give the chocolate covered strawberries (which last time were melted and gooey so we tossed them), but if okay we give them to the room steward. The pins for us are silly, I have a slot in my jewelry box full of them. We don't need laundry done, we pack enough to get us through the cruise. So, for Carnival or even Princess to cut these "perks" means nothing to us. About all they can do to hurt us is cut our priority boarding, and like you say, it costs neither cruise line anything. They can also get rid of the gifts as well, we just end up giving them away to people on board. Edited by elliair

I can see the situation from all points of view and no, we Gold losing the Past Guest Party is not the end of the world but...................................

To me it is really the principle. I don't understand why some cannot or will not understand this. When I was cut as Red from the Past Guest Party we decided to try another line and really enjoyed it. When Carnival came out with the Vista I decided to give them another try and booked for next year. Now as a Gold I have been disinvited to the Past Guest Party yet once again. Really if I hung in I have no doubt by the time I reached Platinum, I would be disinvited for the third time. I am not saying I will never cruise Carnival again but, I will not choose them first again.

I do not begrudge the Platinums or the Diamonds for any benefits they receive. I don't want to beat a dead horse but, I get the anger and hurt feelings of the Golds. *Okay, stepping off my soapbox now :rolleyes:

[quote name='Cinders411']
To me it is really the principle. I don't understand why some cannot or will not understand this. [/QUOTE]

I think "we" understand it perfectly and even with that understanding we don't give a hoot. I don't consider any of these lost perks for "loyal" same line cruisers a cutback just like I don't think the loss of those nauseous chocolates a cutback. Thousands of golds and even platinums never use their "perks"...they don't mean diddly squat to them. These folks tend to travel with others who haven't reached any significant levels so it is just easier and funner and less stressful to cruise at their level than to lord over them with some ridiculous status based on loyalty.

[quote name='Sweet Dutch Girl']I think "we" understand it perfectly and even with that understanding we don't give a hoot. I don't consider any of these lost perks for "loyal" same line cruisers a cutback just like I don't think the loss of those nauseous chocolates a cutback. Thousands of golds and even platinums never use their "perks"...they don't mean diddly squat to them. These folks tend to travel with others who haven't reached any significant levels so it is just easier and funner and less stressful to cruise at their level than to lord over them with some ridiculous status based on loyalty.[/QUOTE]

And just because you don't care doesn't mean that others aren't bothered by it. Your opinion does not trump the opinions of others whose opinion is just as valid. You have stated on countless other threads that the cutbacks made don't bother you, and that's fine. But obviously they do bother others and they have a right to be upset and voice their opinions, just as you do.

[quote name='Maraprince']It is hard to believe that some "adults" act like kids just because they purchased FTTF! I can understand not liking to have to wait on line but some people do not act respectfully to their fellow passengers and want to push everyone else out of the way. "Me", "me", "me".....FTTF does not give you a license to act badly.

MARAPRINCE[/quote]

But they do act badly. They say "well we paid $49.99 for the perk and by gosh, we're going to get every penny's worth. Get out of my way! I had in hand the print out of who goes before who, now, get out of my way." Even the Carnival employee had no clue until I showed it to him. Not a status thing at all, just going by the rules.

[quote name='A2Mich']And just because you don't care doesn't mean that others aren't bothered by it. Your opinion does not trump the opinions of others whose opinion is just as valid. You have stated on countless other threads that the cutbacks made don't bother you, and that's fine. But obviously they do bother others and they have a right to be upset and voice their opinions, just as you do.[/quote]

None of us really care because it doesn't affect us. Maybe some of us would garner up some sympathy if it were something of real value to get worked up over. I'd say a $9 free drink coupon on the last sea day is quite fair. Carnival didn't even have to do that. I'd rather have that $9 coupon than drag myself to a party, and see the same thing over and over again just for a free drink and eat an appetizer that you're afraid to ask what it is.

[quote name='Cinders411']I can see the situation from all points of view and no, we Gold losing the Past Guest Party is not the end of the world but...................................

To me it is really the principle. I don't understand why some cannot or will not understand this. When I was cut as Red from the Past Guest Party we decided to try another line and really enjoyed it. When Carnival came out with the Vista I decided to give them another try and booked for next year. Now as a Gold I have been disinvited to the Past Guest Party yet once again. Really if I hung in I have no doubt by the time I reached Platinum, I would be disinvited for the third time. I am not saying I will never cruise Carnival again but, I will not choose them first again.

I do not begrudge the Platinums or the Diamonds for any benefits they receive. I don't want to beat a dead horse but, I get the anger and hurt feelings of the Golds. *Okay, stepping off my soapbox now :rolleyes:[/quote]

I am with you..while it matters less to me because of amount I cruise and personally I can get over it...and currently I am aiming for no loyalty program....I also understand a change in a loyalty program for many reasons...however I watch how they are done here now like a learning curve for large group customer respect.....you see what irks folks and they speak.

I do not get the not getting the principle and how it was done..little chocolate pillow cutbacks are nothing..but cutting back more and more and the small special "thank you" along the way to the real perks if people want to go loyal to a line...and really felt so good about it and their vacations and that they were valued..and then quickly not valued by this..it is not that many take it soo personally....it is standing by a "thank you" valued customer pattern...or changing it with clear understanding of why...with some time and meaning..all of them relatively soon have added up..but I get lost in my words and posting again here was not my goal..except you said so well what I seem to fail to...Sarah Edited by sjn911

[quote name='elliair']None of us really care because it doesn't affect us. Maybe some of us would garner up some sympathy if it were something of real value to get worked up over. I'd say a $9 free drink coupon on the last sea day is quite fair. Carnival didn't even have to do that. I'd rather have that $9 coupon than drag myself to a party, and see the same thing over and over again just for a free drink and eat an appetizer that you're afraid to ask what it is.[/QUOTE]

I understand and are fine with your opinion. I don't think that anybody here was asking for sympathy on the matter, some people are upset by the additional cutback, and have stated their opinion as such, only to be belittled and told they were whiners. At what point will Carnival's cutbacks begin to affect your opinion of them and their business practices? Everyone has their own opinion as to when that is, but have the right to express that without being ridiculed for it. So if you are required to bring your own food onboard, swipe your S&S card for a "nominal" charge to use the bathroom, and a bit extra if you leave solid waste behind, as there is additional expense involved in treating it, a cover charge to get into every lounge or show, etc. All this in the name of keeping prices low. At what point would nobody any longer wish to sail with them? Sure those examples are extreme, but would likely be very doable. The loss of a few free drinks and a party may not be that big of a deal in and of itself, which it isn't. However, begin adding up all of the cutbacks together.

[quote name='sjn911']I am with you..while it matters less to me because of amount I cruise and personally I can get over it...and currently I am aiming for no loyalty program....I also understand a change in a loyalty program for many reasons...however I watch how they are done here now like a learning curve for large group customer respect.....you see what irks folks and they speak.

I do not get the not getting the principle and how it was done..little chocolate pillow cutbacks are nothing..but cutting back more and more and the small special "thank you" along the way to the real perks if people want to go loyal to a line...and really felt so good about it and their vacations and that they were valued..and then quickly not valued by this..it is not that many take it soo personally....it is standing by a "thank you" valued customer pattern...or changing it with clear understanding of why...with some time and meaning..all of them relatively soon have added up..but I get lost in my words and posting again here was not my goal..except you said so well what I seem to fail to...Sarah[/quote]

It's the same principle here: I book using my Discover card which they in turn give 5% cash back REWARD. That's a nice chunk of change when all is said and done. If Discover took that cash incentive away, another card company would step in and offer me the same deal and maybe even better just to get my business. American Express will no longer be Costco's card manager - why? Because they couldn't meet Costco's bottom line, so, another credit card company stepped up to the plate. So it is in the cruiseline business. They all try to cut costs and keep their bottom line. They know people will go to other lines, but in the end, who has the best deal, not the best "perks." Smart people shop with their wallets, and every business knows this.

[quote name='elliair']It's the same principle here: I book using my Discover card which they in turn give 5% cash back REWARD. That's a nice chunk of change when all is said and done. If Discover took that cash incentive away, another card company would step in and offer me the same deal and maybe even better just to get my business. American Express will no longer be Costco's card manager - why? Because they couldn't meet Costco's bottom line, so, another credit card company stepped up to the plate. So it is in the cruiseline business. They all try to cut costs and keep their bottom line. They know people will go to other lines, but in the end, who has the best deal, not the best "perks." Smart people shop with their wallets, and every business knows this.[/QUOTE]

Well it seems obvious that the 5% cash REWARD is a perk and it apparently means something to you. Maybe the cruise lines' perks have some meaning to them.

[quote name='elliair']It's the same principle here: I book using my Discover card which they in turn give 5% cash back REWARD. That's a nice chunk of change when all is said and done. If Discover took that cash incentive away, another card company would step in and offer me the same deal and maybe even better just to get my business. American Express will no longer be Costco's card manager - why? Because they couldn't meet Costco's bottom line, so, another credit card company stepped up to the plate. So it is in the cruiseline business. They all try to cut costs and keep their bottom line. They know people will go to other lines, but in the end, who has the best deal, not the best "perks." Smart people shop with their wallets, and every business knows this.[/QUOTE]

5% for travel is awesome never seen that one before. My Sams card gives us 3% travel and 5% gas and that is the best I have seen.

Dont use my Carnival M/C any more because of it.

[quote name='A2Mich'] At what point will Carnival's cutbacks begin to affect your opinion of them and their business practices? At what point would nobody any longer wish to sail with them? However, begin adding up all of the cutbacks together.[/quote]

The point I quit Carnival is when another cruiseline can offer me a balcony cabin cheaper than Carnival and to the same destination. Right now I'm looking at a Hawaiian cruise. Carnival is way cheaper than Princess. I don't care about the perks, I care about my bottom line. I've seen cutbacks - mostly in the food department. Cheaper cuts of meat, extending the food into another type of dish and calling it something else. Entertainment on both Princess and Carnival is left wanting. The production shows are a joke. We don't go to them. Does that make us stop cruising Carnival or Princess? Nope, it's what it's costing me to cruise is what's my bottom line. Happy Hour was a good idea on the Crowne Princess and I'd like to see the same thing on Carnival. Two for 1 drinks, that's a deal. So, for me, I don't get the whining and sniveling about losing an invitation to a party. It's not going to change Carnival's mind, I am sure they've put a lot of thought into it. Now give me a $9 drink coupon and I'll keep my pie hole shut.:D

[quote name='elliair']The point I quit Carnival is when another cruiseline can offer me a balcony cabin cheaper than Carnival and to the same destination. Right now I'm looking at a Hawaiian cruise. Carnival is way cheaper than Princess. I don't care about the perks, I care about my bottom line. I've seen cutbacks - mostly in the food department. Cheaper cuts of meat, extending the food into another type of dish and calling it something else. Entertainment on both Princess and Carnival is left wanting. The production shows are a joke. We don't go to them. Does that make us stop cruising Carnival or Princess? Nope, it's what it's costing me to cruise is what's my bottom line. Happy Hour was a good idea on the Crowne Princess and I'd like to see the same thing on Carnival. Two for 1 drinks, that's a deal. So, for me, I don't get the whining and sniveling about losing an invitation to a party. It's not going to change Carnival's mind, I am sure they've put a lot of thought into it. Now give me a $9 drink coupon and I'll keep my pie hole shut.:D[/QUOTE]

Well there we go. You have not yet reached your rock-bottom point with Carnival. It sounds as if others may have already reached that point. Everyone has different values. Some people obviously want a bit more refined experience as opposed to bottom dollar pricing, which is fine. You appear to be one that is only concerned with the bottom like price and that's your business. Other people may have actually enjoyed all of the little niceties that they used to get and actually miss them.

[quote name='A2Mich']Well there we go. You have not yet reached your rock-bottom point with Carnival. It sounds as if others may have already reached that point. Everyone has different values. Some people obviously want a bit more refined experience as opposed to bottom dollar pricing, which is fine. You appear to be one that is only concerned with the bottom like price and that's your business. Other people may have actually enjoyed all of the little niceties that they used to get and actually miss them.[/QUOTE]

When is your next Carnival cruise?

All of this is typical of most cruise lines.

You get some wet-behind-the-ears, knob-head accountant sitting behind a desk in Miami, and his calculator says the "repeaters" party costs so much money, - that they buy the drink for at duty-free prices....

He says "Let's cancel it". No-one will notice......

But we did notice, didn't we?

[quote name='Bollinge']All of this is typical of most cruise lines.

You get some wet-behind-the-ears, knob-head accountant sitting behind a desk in Miami, and his calculator says the "repeaters" party costs so much money, - that they buy the drink for at duty-free prices....

But we did notice, didn't we?[/QUOTE]

But you're not allowed to post anything against Oh Great Carnival, because everything they do is perfectly fine. Sure most, if not all cruise lines haves made cutbacks, but it seems that none are as extreme as Carnival.

[quote name='A2Mich']I don't have one booked with Carnival at the moment. Though we may book one for next year. Why does it matter?[/QUOTE]

I guess it doesn't, it just seems like you could find better use of your time...like maybe on a CC page dedicated to a cruise line you frequent regularly...or better yet, a forum that caters to any activity that you actually do on a regular basis.

[quote name='Wilgr']I guess it doesn't, it just seems like you could find better use of your time...like maybe on a CC page dedicated to a cruise line you frequent regularly...or better yet, a forum that caters to any activity that you actually do on a regular basis.[/QUOTE]

Due to having a growing family, we had to take a long break from cruising and are finally able to get back to it. As much as we would love to cruise several times per year, it's simply not an option for us, so we will have to be content with cruising once per year or every other year. We have not discounted Carnival, and may try to book one for next year, but Carnival may no longer be our first choice in cruise lines. Sure their rates are usually among the best, but other companies are also competing for the same cruisers.

All of this is typical of most cruise lines.

But we did notice, didn't we?

I just want to say this was a great Quote!!! I was rolling on the floor!!! Thanks!

I will be retiring next year, and have always planned to really treat myself to a very nice cruise as a retirement gift to myself. I am not planning to book one far in advance, and for once plan to wait closer to cruise date, and shop around for a good deal; anyway....one cruiseline that I have really not considered in the past has cropped up a few times in my search for prices in 2016 is Royal Caribbean! Always thought they were the most expensive for a similar product to Carnival, but am seeing that I may have been wrong in my hasty judgement.

Still not going to book till next year, will wait until two months of my cruise date, and will then choose. Carnival still may get my booking, but I am surely checking out the other guys now more than ever.

Edited by SMSACE6

I do not cruise because of the perks and would hope that no one cruises for that specific reason, but to each their own. These perks are just that and while I do take advantage of some, I have never taken advantage of some as well. If I get cut out of a past guest party, so what? It's not THAT important.....I don't drink so the free booze at the party, or free drink coupons are of no use to me. Besides, I've been to several of the past guest parties and they all are about the same - mostly boring if it weren't for watching my fellow cruisers see how many drinks they can down in 30 minutes.

The perks I enjoy most are the laundry service and having my room ready when I board early. The free gift is a shot in the dark as to whether or not it is of use. I mean, how many Tervis Tumblers can you put on a shelf....ya know?

So, things come and things go. But, one good thing about America, at least for now, if it gets to the point where I don't like something or think it's too high or I've been done too wrong, I do have a choice in cruising.

While there aren't as many cruise lines in the sea as there are fish (as my Dad use to say when a girl would dump me...."there's more than one fish in the ocean"), there IS more than one.....and that means I have a choice!

Happy Sails everybody. Life is too short to sweat the small stuff.