Where is the OFFICIAL notice of dining policy changes?

garycarla

So take away from those working 14 hour days serving you. Please explain to your steward and waiters if you can look them in the face.

I would rather give the cash directly to our steward and waiter. I always give our steward and waiters and bartenders extra tips during or at the end of our cruises. I've never deducted a DSC before..but I've never been sold a bill of goods like this from other cruise companies.

I called NCL and asked how much of the $7.95 RS goes to the waiter..no answer. I always tip $2 -$5. Who is going to tip now...NCL is screwing them.

When I called NCL for info regarding the DSC, they told me the DSC helps them pay the staff. I asked if deducting monies would affect an assigned steward or waiter's salary and was told no. But of course they highly recommend I pay the full DSC.

I specifically asked if I deducted the additional 18% gratuity for specialty restaurants would that affect a waiter or steward (I did not purchase the plan or get it as a promo, I am paying individually), and I was told no especially since it wasn't a complaint against them. Why pay two gratuities for one dinner? Just raise the price of the specialty and stop playing games.

If I've been given wrong info from NCL let me know..

Edited by BRANDEE

I would rather give the cash directly to our steward and waiter. I always give our steward and waiters and bartenders extra tips during or at the end of our cruises. I've never deducted a DSC before..but I've never been sold a bill of goods like this from other cruise companies.

I called NCL and asked how much of the $7.95 RS goes to the waiter..no answer. I always tip $2 -$5. Who is going to tip now...NCL is screwing them.

When I called NCL for info regarding the DSC, they told me the DSC helps them pay the staff. I asked if deducting monies would affect an assigned steward or waiter's salary and was told no. But of course they highly recommend I pay the full DSC.

I specifically asked if I deducted the additional 18% gratuity for specialty restaurants would that affect a waiter or steward (I did not purchase the plan or get it as a promo, I am paying individually), and I was told no especially since it wasn't a complaint against them. Why pay two gratuities for one dinner? Just raise the price of the specialty and stop playing games.

If I've been given wrong info from NCL let me know..

This is interesting to me. I've always blindly said "pay the DSC, don't be a cheapskate" but what if we all went down and removed the DSC and cited the reason as NCL changed the rules on us and our charges are higher than what we agreed to, clearly saying that the steward and waiters, etc had been great (if that's the case). That would get back to corporate. And I agree that it's possible since it just goes towards paying the staff, the people who work for you don't get stiffed directly, but if they have constant complaints, it will affect the renewal of their contracts.

I would be quite surprised if Norwegian doesn't soon revaluate or adjust on the room service fee/takeaway food policy. I know that I have told many of our friends and family now about the changes, as they were not aware yet, and they have flat out said they have other choices and will simply not book Norwegian. Princess and Celebrity often have great deals. Royal Caribbean may cost a bit more upfront, but without these extra charges and inconveniences likely comes out to the same at the end of the cruise. Carnival is always a good value for what you get. At least will any other line, you know what to expect. Norwegian introducing this change/extra fee after final payment is very disrespectful to its customer base. I think that is why there is such a sting on this one!

If they want to make it right, at the very least they should offer those in final payment a small OBC as to "compensate" and as a good will gesture, but judging from how the company has mishandled this, I doubt they will!

So in order to keep their environment beautifully clean Ive decided I will pack some zip lock bags . . . so when I visit the buffet and fancy a snack I can put the snack in my zip lock bag . . . .

This is what we have always done. Can't figure out how NCL can police this stupid new rule.

Kathy

... If a gift bottle of wine arrives and I have to pay $15 corkage, that too will be deducted. ...

Corkage fee is for bottles that are bought elsewhere. Gift bottles are purchased from NCL, so no charge.

As to a veterans discount, I served in Viet Nam and would never expect them to just give me some of their money because I am a veteran.

As to this new policy, it does not matter. We are now done with NCL.

I am thinking we may never see a press release or announcement of this change. It is too negative. They did not have a prior policy stating food could be taken from the buffet or food be taken to go from a restaurant; it is just the way they always operated. They may view this change as something more along the lines of "This venue is open at this time instead of previously at that time" and more of just a tweak or running change and not one requiring big fanfare or attention. I suspect they'd rather keep it as quiet as possible.

But, again: What is a snack? What is a full meal? Can I take three plates of snacks for each person in our party? What if I load up one plate for all of us to snack off of? Is this a snack or a meal? Does it mean prepared foods can not be taken or only hot foods? Can cold foods count as prepared foods? Can hot foods cool down and be considered cold snacks? I like to snack on chicken because it is protein rich, low carb, no sugar. But sometimes my wife considers yogurt and banana a full meal. :confused:

I am thinking we may never see a press release or announcement of this change. It is too negative. They did not have a prior policy stating food could be taken from the buffet or food be taken to go from a restaurant; it is just the way they always operated. They may view this change as something more along the lines of "This venue is open at this time instead of previously at that time" and more of just a tweak or running change and not one requiring big fanfare or attention. I suspect they'd rather keep it as quiet as possible.

But, again: What is a snack? What is a full meal? Can I take three plates of snacks for each person in our party? What if I load up one plate for all of us to snack off of? Is this a snack or a meal? Does it mean prepared foods can not be taken or only hot foods? Can cold foods count as prepared foods? Can hot foods cool down and be considered cold snacks? I like to snack on chicken because it is protein rich, low carb, no sugar. But sometimes my wife considers yogurt and banana a full meal. :confused:

I think you might be right. I also don't remember seeing a press release/announcement that there would no longer be lobster in the MDR. Maybe they will just put something on the website, which I doubt many will see. By not doing a release (as well as having something about it in each cabin), they are just putting their staff in a precarious situation, because since passengers won't know, there will be a lot of questions, arguments, etc.

A snack to me would be a few cookies or some chips, but to someone else it might mean a hamburger and fries or a chicken leg (LOL) and this is why they really need to be more specific about what they consider a snack.

I don't have an issue, with them changing their policies, but I do have an issue with how they go about it. Sometimes companies don't need any help in shooting themselves in the foot and NCL's foot must be hurting a lot, because they won't release an official statement.

Edited by NLH Arizona

When I first called NCL the customer service person had no idea of the policy change and had never heard of the woman that had announced it on CC, but I received an email from her the following day confirming the changes and a quote of the announcement we found here on CC. I SO wish we hadn't switched from Carnival to NCL this time around...

Corkage fee is for bottles that are bought elsewhere. Gift bottles are purchased from NCL, so no charge.

As to a veterans discount, I served in Viet Nam and would never expect them to just give me some of their money because I am a veteran.

Hi Garycarla..

First..thank you for your service!

I mentioned the veterans discount because that is what was advertised when we booked our cruise on NCL, at the time of final payment it became a "never mind" only on special sailings..not yours. I expected it only because it was offered..then taken away.

While I DO NOT EXPECT a military discount because I am a veteran, there are MANY businesses that DO offer us a discount because of our service. With that in mind, it is just another factor to take into consideration when choosing which cruise line to book with.

That's good to hear. So my kids can bring back a cookie or ice cream cone with them?

There's no way to make exceptions as to what can be taken back to the room. Once you leave the buffet they can't possibly know where you're taking food and what is allowed in different areas of the ship. It seems insane that there are so many exceptions and rules.

My first NCL cruise so this is very disturbing. In the mornings, on a typical cruise, i bring back to my cabin Cappuccino and some cookies or bread based snack I take meds that require food immediately but do not want to eat breakfast. So I have to either bring a box of crackers from home now or take meds in buffet area. Sounds like nursery school! A horrible silly policy clearly designed to force guest to pay a service charge for room service. I hope by my cruise in august NCL will discontinue this nonsense.

They don't seem to care that there are many reasons that people need to bring a little something to their cabins to eat. Some being health issues. I agree it is just plan stupid, but it won't matter to me because I won't be cruising on a line that treats people like this. If they all go this route, I will quit cruising. I resent being treated like a child.

Trust me, they are already working on it, luggage fees.

George in NY

There is already verbiage in the cruise contract that limits the amount of luggage one can bring. It must be one of those totally ignored rules because I think the limit is 2 bags per person. Fine on a 7 day cruise, but not every cruises a week at a time! NCL has some much longer voyages.

"Each guest is allowed two pieces of checked luggage with a 50-pound maximum each, same as airlines."

http://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/prepare-for-your-cruise/what-to-pack

Edited by LMaxwell

This move is fairly typical of a management lost in space.

The theory is you can cut expenses, increase fees, and thus make a better profit. Believe me, I am all for profit. I don't expect anyone to buy ships and not get an adequate return on their investment just so I can enjoy a cruise.

Where they have gone wrong is to assume the revenue line will remain constant. Given all the bad publicity from this move, and announcing the $8 fee at the same time, their economic assumptions may well be wrong.

This reminds me of United Airlines attempt to start charging for food on international flights. In theory, cut expense and increase revenue. In fact, cut expense and lose business. Although the US airlines may have followed suit, it would be a non starter the European and Asian carriers . United was forced to "improve" service simply by reverting to former policy.

There are plenty of other choices out there - just book another line.

NCL has spent years upping their game, but as they said in my business it takes years to build your reputation but you can lose it in an afternoon.

What official notice of written policy changes for NCL passengers already 100% paid in full, beyond cancellation without penalty AND about to sail. One of our BIL/SIL is leaving this weekend for the Alaska run on the Pearl, along with/leading a group of seniors in multiple staterooms - and, as of this morning, they have received zero as in "no" communications about the latest ban a/k/a "prohibition" against food take-out (except for "snacks" from the buffet) and the latest about no coffee being allowed to leave O'Sheehans. What rubbish management. Thankfully, we are the gossip channel, whistle blowers & unauthorized leaks here floating on CC - asked to comment by the USA Today news reporter to confirm/clarify the corporate stance, they merely recited the same nonsense - Andy Stuart acknowledged a while ago after taking the helm that NCL needs to and should be doing a better job of communicating to the customers, the ones that pay the bills & therefore, their exexcutive compensations ... but, guess what, nada.

Granted many of us here often disagree and have differences in opinions, and don't always see things the same - the latest patterned moves are simply not defensible for anyone with a sound mind ... and, I am for all making money and for business to do well, fairly and in a responsible manner and respect the customers as non-captives.

On the subject of what's next, I'm waiting for the drop round of enhancement for our convenience - on luggage fees, early embarkation and priority disembarkation, and premier seating in the MDR, and reserved loungers on the sun deck for the steerage ... they said NEXT is just the beginning so don't even bother holding one's breath for the next one. The pace of things happening lately, it will be faster than you and I think.

Ask any airline business class & first class flyers if they are happy lately with their legacy U.S. carriers with all the perks and changes - and, then you can appreciate how JetBlue managed to rise to the among the top with customer satisfactions and United Airlines, my choice until the last few years, plunged all the way down to the bottom - following a series of mergers & repeated bankruptcies.

Oversized, over-weight and excess baggage fees, and special tags, etc. - all for one's convenience, with a "nominal" fee, one is free to choose - possibly, possibly coming soon to a cruiseline closest to you and me. And, of course - we will be okay with "those" changes and the changes won't bother us - we travel light and fly half way around via the polar route with a 22" carryon & a cabin bag. Laundry specials could become a thing of the past - the possibilities are limitless. Everyone will be okay, cool.

Edited by mking8288

Ask any airline business class & first class flyers if they are happy lately with their legacy U.S. carriers with all the perks and changes - and, then you can appreciate how JetBlue managed to rise to the among the top with customer satisfactions and United Airlines, my choice until the last few years, plunged all the way down to the bottom - following a series of mergers & repeated bankruptcies.

I fly first class and I'm very happy with my carrier. I get three bags at 70 pounds each free, within the US and the Canada and two bags at 70 pounds everywhere else. Other than the free luggage and being comfortable on my flights, I really have no need for any other perks.