DAWN SJ 5/1/15 first timer review

jethrojam

I know what you mean. We were able to view the stats on the TV...I think channel 2 showed the ship's location, speed and sea conditions. Hopefully someone else can weigh in. Thanks again for taking the time to share your experiences!

Oh right. Honestly never turned on the tv. Which is weird for me since it's always on at home.

This is where we were and the ship was rocking like crazy. I went to the shopping talk, everyone was getting sick. The director at the end announced for seasickness, eat light, go easy on drinking water and come to the atrium to sit on the FLOOR , as this was mid ship and less motion. While in the Venetian dinning room, servers were focused on the glass windows watching the storm. Several ladies looked terrified, they were from the Phillipines and had never seen the seas like this! We are seasoned cruisers, grew up on the water, and I had never been so frighten! As for Bermuda, it was pretty but not sure it was worth the emotional capital spent getting there!

I should add that we all purchased the internet package from imc or something like that. It is 15$ per the 3 days. I would give it 1 out of 5 stars. It rarely worked. Not on the bus stop, yes poolside but really just connected but didn't download the email. I will buy it again because I enjoy being connected at a minimal level and there aren't enough other options. But I know they need to make it stronger and better, especially for the breakaway or when 2 ships are in port.

Also at the dockyard there is a pharmacy that you can buy just about anything you would stateside At a bit higher of a price of course.

Nice picture review! Since you were in a suite, did you notice Cagneys or other speciality dining venues to be crowded. During breakfast did Cagneys have a menu only or did they have a buffet table also? What did you have the butler do for you? Sorry for so many ???? but just wanting to see if you thought the suite perks were nice. Thanks again!

Nice picture review! Since you were in a suite, did you notice Cagneys or other speciality dining venues to be crowded. During breakfast did Cagneys have a menu only or did they have a buffet table also? What did you have the butler do for you? Sorry for so many ???? but just wanting to see if you thought the suite perks were nice. Thanks again!

:) only went to cagneys for breakfast and lunch and it was never crowded. Maybe half full at best. The breakfast had a few things buffet style such as fruit and pastries but the rest was made to order. As far as what we used the butler for? Well not much. Ordered room service for my wife once when she was sick. My sister got a movie or 2. Had him bring the wine to cellar. The rest id say were just things that butlers on ncl do anyways like fill the coffee and juice and bring snacks to us. Mostly his job was to keep us smiling which we always did.

This is where we were and the ship was rocking like crazy. I went to the shopping talk, everyone was getting sick. The director at the end announced for seasickness, eat light, go easy on drinking water and come to the atrium to sit on the FLOOR , as this was mid ship and less motion. While in the Venetian dinning room, servers were focused on the glass windows watching the storm. Several ladies looked terrified, they were from the Phillipines and had never seen the seas like this! We are seasoned cruisers, grew up on the water, and I had never been so frighten! As for Bermuda, it was pretty but not sure it was worth the emotional capital spent getting there!

Gosh, that sounds scary to see staff looking worried. I Try to imagine the worst seas possible so when I go if it rocks it's probably less than what I expect, lol. Is Jason still the shopping guy?

Edited by ALS1214

Thanks for posting this review. We will be on the Dawn in an SJ in early June. First time on NCL. I am looking forward to reading your impressions, and really appreciate the time you took to write this. Thanks again!:)

Day 4 I woke up with what felt like a hangover. I had one, maybe 2 drinks last night. Didn't make me too happy, as today, Dad and I were going golfing at turtle hill. To get there, we took the 7 bus to gibbs lighthouse stop. We should have taken the 8 bus, which drops you off on the other side of the course that has a van that brings you up the hill. OH well, exercise was needed lol.

Both my father and I are poor golfers. But this course was definitely for us. It was all par 3, no lines, and the views were stunning. I actually got it on the green in one shot a few times. Just wish I could putt haha.

IMG_6126.jpg

IMG_6127.jpg

IMG_6129.jpg

IMG_6137.jpg

IMG_6136.jpg

That looks like the Southhampton Princess in the background - we stayed there several times but unfortunately, DH never got to play the course.

I was on the Dawn about 7 or 8 years ago...NYC to Bermuda. We had 50 ft waves and 50 mph winds...both ways I vowed I'd never go on a cruise again (I don't get seasick...but I do get scared). Well, I cruised several times since then, but I'd never go on a cruise to Bermuda again.

I think one would have to experience to understand..........

Gosh, that sounds scary to see staff looking worried. I Try to imagine the worst seas possible so when I go if it rocks it's probably less than what I expect, lol. Is Jason still the shopping guy?

It was pretty intense. Sorry I don't know who the shopping guy is. Thanks for reading so far :)

You mentioned the Bimini Bar was closed :( Was that during sailaway or once you were underway and the storm was picking up?

It was closed around 5 when i checked on sailaway and seemed to remain closed until Bermuda due to the storm. It may have opened at some points during lulls but i was unaware of it.

Thanks for posting this review. We will be on the Dawn in an SJ in early June. First time on NCL. I am looking forward to reading your impressions, and really appreciate the time you took to write this. Thanks again!:)

Hey thanks:). You will have a great time for sure. I am taking a break to pay attention to my mothers but will get back at it tomorrow:)

That looks like the Southhampton Princess in the background - we stayed there several times but unfortunately, DH never got to play the course.

That is the southhampton. The course is run by the hotel, which appeared to be quite lovely. The workers were nice too - one refused a tip because she said it was already in the food bill (unheard of in usa) and another offered and gave us a ride down the hill while we waited for the shuttle. (Again, unheard of here). It was a lovely course and the best part of it was that it was well maintained but still gave you the feeling like you could actually get the darned ball in the hole...which is usually not the case in the nicer courses that I have been to.

I was on the Dawn about 7 or 8 years ago...NYC to Bermuda. We had 50 ft waves and 50 mph winds...both ways I vowed I'd never go on a cruise again (I don't get seasick...but I do get scared). Well, I cruised several times since then, but I'd never go on a cruise to Bermuda again.

I think one would have to experience to understand..........

Wow both ways??? It was a lovely ride back for us. I know id probably never go back if it were both ways too. Thanks for reading:)

daily_6_1.jpg

daily_6_2.jpg

daily_6_3.jpg

Day 6 was a bit of a day of rest for us. We had breakfast at cagneys, once again Charlie and Jeff took good care of us. We then spent the rest of the morning and some of the afternoon by the kids pool. Our son had a blast swimming and I went down the slide with him a few times. We loved it.

The BBQ outside was the first in a few days, and we were looking forward to a hamburger. But for some reason, they were serving Mexican. The hamburgers turned out to be pan cooked on the other side of the buffet. I couldn't figure why this was the case. The next day was pork chops too. Why no hamburgers and hot dogs???

We then played deal or no deal. I think everyone who played it, it must've been their first time like us. The prizes were hardly worth the cost of admission (same with bingo day 7). One person did win a cruise though.

Tonight we were celebrating our anniversary. We had some drinks at Gatsby's from our favorite bartender Cristina, and listened to Ariel play the Piano. She makes a great frozen mudslide and AMF.

My parents took our son to bamboo for dinner. Supposedly he didn't eat anything, except for dessert. I think he was getting a bit too used to the fact that he can have ice cream every night.

IMG_6298.jpg

We went to the show tonight. Elements. I dislike song and dance. I dislike plays. I do not like them on a cruise, I do not like them even with booze. I do not like them, Jethrojam I am.

But she wanted to go, so naturally I obliged.

I have to say this. It was good. I actually enjoyed it. The magic parts did nothing for me, but as a whole I was entertained, and quite happy I went. No matter your feelings on shows, I will say this is not to be missed. I don't like to spoil surprises so I'll leave it at that - plus no pictures allowed...

I had won a bottle of Chard and that was on ice for tonight's dinner at teppenyaki. I don't know if I mentioned this before but we had postponed this dinner from night 2, when my bride was getting seasick.

We got to our dinner at 835, and was just hanging around for our 9 res. They let us in along with a bunch of other people waiting, and instructed us to sit in the far corner. We don't want the corner, so asked to pick. No, she said, you must sit there. So we begrudgingly sat at the worst seat in the house, despite being first in line.

IMG_6303.jpg

Everyone was seated, and still there was 6 seats around that were in the center. The hostess left, and I went to go find the manager. I couldn't find him/her and said screw it. We switched our seats. The last few couples came in and took their rightful seats as last choice. Time to enjoy our show.

IMG_6305.jpg

We had a great time. Our first date was at a habachi, and we try to go a few times a year. They did allow me to get the filet and the lobster, instead of the lobster and scallops/shrimp.

The one thing I will say, is that our chef was cooking for a solid 5 minutes longer than the other one. I didn't hear any complaints from the others but that seemed strange to me.

There were signs everywhere indicating how Norwegians do chocolate night. I was fairly sure that was cancelled, but started to think maybe the cancellation hadn't struck on the Dawn yet.

Wrong. Apparently it just means a "special" chocolate dessert per restaurant. Now, I get the budget cuts. Happens in every business, and NCL is CLEARLY no differant. They don't seem to announce things and yada yada yada dead horse.

BUT, why announce there is a chocolate thing going on when there clearly is not???? Its just a different dessert, but the dessert has been changing every day anyways...

at any rate, at teppenyaki it was chocolate cake that tasted kind of like a kit kat.

The other cake is what they give you for celebrating your anniversary. We had a few bites at the end of the night after smuggling it to our room.

IMG_6309.jpg

Alfredo choose a romantic towel animal to return to.

IMG_6310.jpg

Today was the last full day on the Dawn :(

We went to cagneys for breakfast and gave some grats to Charlie and Joseph for being excellent servers

at 1045 Karabi the concierge was hosting a disembarkation meeting. 10 oclock was a giant sale at bamboo said the CD. So naturally we go to that at 1030 and I instantly realize its all garbage but my wife sees one thing she wants. so she tries to find a price. 1045 rolls around and still no help. I rush up with my son to the Star bar? and she is already talking. I take my rightful seat in the back while my son chats away with himself as I constantly try to keep him quiet. I felt bad because Karabi is a low talker and Patrick is overpowering her in his toddler chatter.

Either way, I had no idea what was going on as we left, and I think basically it was Meet at spinniker at 830to 930 and she will take care of it. Oh and put luggage out by midnight. She hands us our tags and sends us on our way.

I won the bad prize at deal or no deal the other day. Wanted to pick it it so I went to the front desk to ask them how. They said go to the Library at 2. I **** you not. Seemed weird to me, as I could have sworn they said bingo hall, but I couldn't time a bingo game to save my life so Library at 2 it is.

lunch was bbq. Well actually not really. It was pork chops and buffet. Still no bbq burger.

Do I have to describe what happened at 2? There I am, looking like at idiot for 10 minutes until the lady comes in and inquires if I need help. I explain myself, and she makes a phone call. Go to bingo at 4. NO idea why Library was suggested....

IMG_6338.jpg

IMG_6337.jpg

So we waited for Bingo at 4. As we were waiting someone spotted some whales. That was really cool. There were many many whales.

IMG_6347.jpg

So at about 345 I go down to cash my deal or no deal ticket, and put in our red tickets for the free cruise. All 6 of us have some time so we decide to play bingo as well.

I am in line and this gentleman asks us how to play bingo. I say punch the numbers as they call em, but whatever you do, don't yell bingo unless you have it lol.

He says something like what a waste of time, that he shouldn't wait for that. I said, ya and there are some whales outside too lol

He starts complaining to his wife and they joke back and forth with us for a bit while we wait in line. Oh well C'est la vie

I say i want enough for 4 people and the give me a tshirt and 6 books for :gasp: 139 freakin dollars.

They announce the numbers of the red ticket free cruise. The winner is.......

....The guy who didn't want to be there's Wife!!!

I suppose he didn't miss the whale watch then lol

So we play bingo. One lady wins twice, the first and the coverall.

ok so 139/4 is almost 35 bucks. You know that wouldn't be bad if A) there were more than 3 games, or B) the prizes weren't only 500 600 and 1000 for the 3. NCL must rake at least 60% on bingo and Deal or No Deal. I thought the 10% rake at the hold'em poker table was outrageous too.

We went to Aqua that night. It was ok. I had the chicken parm. I did manage to photograph the menu this night.

IMG_6353.jpg

IMG_6352.jpg

IMG_6351.jpg

FWIW day 7 is the point of the cruise where the 6 in the room starts to boil over for us. We started to argue about stupid ****, and packing up was tough. But I guess thats the price you pay for the cheap suite life haha.

I got a few knick knacks at the store and purchased a couple pictures. Some pictures were 12.99 and others 19.99. The 19.99 were bigger pictures. I figured it to not be a coincidence that they were the ones we probably would buy, like the captains pic and the teppenyaki pic. No Cash Left I guess haha.

Seeing as how we had never been in a suite before (or in my case been on a cruise before) we had no idea what to expect. My parents are used to waiting in line for a hour and eventually getting out.

Its really simple. Bring your carry ons with you and your passport/license/customs form and key card ready. Karabi takes you from the meet up place (spinniker) and you go through a random door and next thing you know you are in front of the customs agents. You give them the stuff u have in hand and, assuming no issues, you are off the ship in 2 minutes.

YRMV if you aren't a citizen of USA or are claiming more than the allowed amount.

Save for a few gripes we had a wonderful time.

I probably will never do a suite again, not because I didn't like it, but because if I do go on a cruise again, it will be to a different place which would require airfare, therefore putting a bit more of a budget problem.

I loved the view, but hated the rocking of the 12th floor. The elevators didn't seem to be clogged except when the shows let out so I would probably just get an inside in the basement. It would be better for my wife's seasickness tendencies, and my son wouldn't be in a stroller either. Also I know he would love the kids room.

I'm never going to play deal or no deal or bingo there again. It was fun, but the odds are terrible for this gambler. I did enjoy the poker table despite the high rake so I may show up again to another one of those.

I loved the Aqua, but my family is definitely an eat and go do something group so odds are we will rock the buffet more than the MDR's

I give the dawn 3.5 stars out of 5.

It should be a 4, but the 13th fl bathroom scared me down a half star, as I can't trust the people signing the bathroom chart.

I am considering putting five of us (2 adults, 2 teens, and a 12 year old) in an SJ family suite. Would you recommend that? I know you had a toddler as well, but five adults. I'm concerned about one bathroom (and having to go up to the deck 13 restrooms as you mentioned). Also, was it cramped at night with all of the beds turned down, and the curtains and divider wall? And one TV that the murphy bed doesn't face?