Luggage wheel got busted off!

justme_85

Hi Everyone!

I just got on board the Carnival Liberty and found my luggage in front of the door. Except the wheel has been busted off somewhere between me handing it over to a porter and being delivered to my room. I went down to guest services and they told me to empty my luggage and take it to them so they can inspect it. Has this ever happened to anyone? In 10 cruises this has never happened to me! Just want to see what they do in this type of situation as it is no longer rollable.

ImageUploadedByForums1431290950.053260.jpg.ad8f0f91f52fdc76a81377e7dfe4079c.jpg

I am not in the least surprised by this. We had a wheel broken off a bag on retrieving a bag after a cruise. Considering how many bags are handled, I am amazed more are not broken up.

I once saw a Zero Haliburton aluminum case ripped in half come on to the baggage carousel at the Rome airport. I do not mean the lid ripped off, I mean the case was torn apart through the hinge and all. I never underestimate the abuse luggage can receive.

It happened to me with new luggage. I didn't report it right away so I was SOL. I did happen to find on amazon some reviews of the luggage I had and they were saying that the luggage company would send you a replacement wheel. I emailed the company and they did in fact ship me a new wheel.

Supposedly a shoe repair could repair it for me, but DH fixed it himself.

The funny thing is this is new luggage!!! My trusted suitcase is 10 years old and weighs 20lbs on its own so I went to a newer piece of luggage that weighs less. I bought it after Christmas. I am so disappointed but trying to NOT let it ruin my vacation before it even starts. I just want Carnival to do right and rectify this.

Unfortunately yes it happened to me. I called it a loss. It seems to happen any mode of travel. I think airlines are worse. That is why I won't spend a fortune on luggage anymore. Worst about it was getting around with it on the way home!

The funny thing is this is new luggage!!! My trusted suitcase is 10 years old and weighs 20lbs on its own so I went to a newer piece of luggage that weighs less. I bought it after Christmas. I am so disappointed but trying to NOT let it ruin my vacation before it even starts. I just want Carnival to do right and rectify this.

If you read your cruise contract you will find Carnival is not responsible. They may or may not "do something" for you. Might I suggest you ask nicely as you are really not in a position to demand anything.

I do understand it is a frustrating way to begin a cruise. I am sorry but look on the bright side your luggage could have fallen into the water or been soaked by contraband soft drinks or wine in checked luggage.

Did you have trip insurance?

Hi Everyone!

I just got on board the Carnival Liberty and found my luggage in front of the door. Except the wheel has been busted off somewhere between me handing it over to a porter and being delivered to my room. I went down to guest services and they told me to empty my luggage and take it to them so they can inspect it. Has this ever happened to anyone? In 10 cruises this has never happened to me! Just want to see what they do in this type of situation as it is no longer rollable.

[ATTACH]348972[/ATTACH]

I once got my luggage delivered to my room and it had been crushed in on one corner (the metal framing inside was all bent up). They took it and were able to fix it. You could tell it had been damaged, but it was once again suitcase shaped :) It's been a while, but I think they may have mentioned a small sum (like $20) if they'd been unable to fix it.

Who knows - maybe they just have a bunch of random suitcase wheels down there and they'll be able to fix it :p

Not much love is given to luggage when there's a minimum of 6 to 8,000 pieces being loaded by forklifts in a minimal amount of time.

I've had mine torn, and wheels ripped off and it wasn't on Carnival. From then on, no more new luggage for me, I find mine at thrift stores or yard sales. Not a pretty matching set, but they work.

Travel insurance, if you have any, may cover the loss. Travel Safe covered some damaged luggage for us. It was damaged by the airline. We had the original receipts and also bought the same kind of luggage to replace the damaged bag.

Edited by dioxide45

For our cruise last year I had just bought a new suitcase. Never noticed there was a problem till we were packing the last night and the handle wouldn't pull out. After feeling around inside the bag, you could feel that the rails were bent and wouldn't let the handle slide in or out. Luckily we had luggage straps with us and were able to strap it onto another rolling bag. I think it got bent when they threw it into the bins. :eek:

This happens all the time and several times Carnival has destroyed our luggage.

Last time they did pay to replace it when we realized it when we packed to go home.

Buy luggage where the wheels are recessed.

Carnival destroyed your luggage or the baggage handlers that work for the port ?

Carnival destroyed your luggage or the baggage handlers that work for the port ?

No way to tell for sure. Gave porters a new piece of luggage and it arrived in our cabin with one wheel torn off and gone and another barely still on.

Since the porters put it in a cart and wheel it over to large carts that are put onto the ship by Carnival probably Carnival did the deed.

Since the porters put it in a cart and wheel it over to large carts that are put onto the ship by Carnival probably Carnival did the deed.

Actually, you forgot a step. The porters send it to be xrayed, then put it back in a cart to be put on the ship.

Not much love is given to luggage when there's a minimum of 6 to 8,000 pieces being loaded by forklifts in a minimal amount of time.

I've had mine torn, and wheels ripped off and it wasn't on Carnival. From then on, no more new luggage for me, I find mine at thrift stores or yard sales. Not a pretty matching set, but they work.

We had as piece of luggage that ended up with seafood soaked through the luggage. It ruined a bird book that I had purchased in Florida. We've had one piece of luggage with a broken wheel. Carnival did nothing. We chucked it when we got home and like you, I now purchase my luggage at thrift stores. Found a nice soft sided one with wheels and have used that quite a bit with no problems.

Hi Everyone!

[ATTACH]348972[/ATTACH]

Happened to me on my last NCL cruise. My suitcase was an old piece of crap so I just laughed and was amazed it made it that long.

Cheap Wal Mart luggage for the win.

Edited by Rottweiler Puppy

Hi Everyone!

[ATTACH]348972[/ATTACH]

our luggage gets damaged pretty much every cruise. Or squashed. Our hanging stuff, twice, was completely crumbled.

I REALLY wish we could carry ALL our luggage ON the ship. It pissed me off we tip the porters BEFORE we even get our luggage. WHY tip before service is complete?

Happened to me on an A Royal cruise and they offered to pay me $150 if I gave it to them on the ship. Sadly I needed something to bring my stuff home. When I was back they called, offered $120, and called every week to tell me it was on the way. I was a satisfied customer.

BTW it was a spinner wheel and it appears that's the norm.